Next Level Ski

etemplet

Water Crafts
None
Since I have gotten involved in Seadoo Jet Skis and have resurrected a few I am looking for suggestions for the next level from the GTX 787s I have. Requirements, more power (130hp), good reliability, and not too expensive to maintain (parts and such). I'd like to keep it simple. I would like to know what type/model to keep on my radar. Can a simple engine swap upgrade a 1997 GTX?

Last edited:

Water Crafts
many 96 xp's
97 gsx
hx 800
It all depends what type of riding you do or want to do. I use my 97 gsx for taking kids out and my 96xp for me- time. Both have 800’s. I have couple other jetskis that arent as reliable but thats the reason for my 2 that i stated. The 951 is a sore subject for a lot if people. Has 130hp but isnt forgiving at all. Hard to beat the reliability of an 800, if you wanna stick with the 2 strokes.

etemplet

Water Crafts
None
It all depends what type of riding you do or want to do. I use my 97 gsx for taking kids out and my 96xp for me- time. Both have 800’s. I have couple other jetskis that arent as reliable but thats the reason for my 2 that i stated. The 951 is a sore subject for a lot if people. Has 130hp but isnt forgiving at all. Hard to beat the reliability of an 800, if you wanna stick with the 2 strokes.
Paul the only kind of riding I will do is with family. Reliability is the key for me. I am/was just thinking of a ski for me to have a bit more power than the others in the stable. I like the two strokes. I also have a 96 SPI... not fast but fun to ride. I am pretty new to skis, less than a year but lots of repairs and rebuilds in that time frame. I really appreciate the input from experienced members. Sounds like the GTXs are about all I need.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
1996 XP
2001 XP
1996 HX
2x 1997 GSX
If you want reliability stick with the 787 GTX. The 951 GTX isn't that much faster and is much more labor intensive and has more reliability issues. Fast, Reliable or Cheap, pick any two.

SabrToothSqrl

Water Crafts
2002 GTX & XP
I'd wager anything that's now 20+ years old has reliability issues lol...

I might be selling my setup this summer... just don't have time to ride any more, and when I do, I'd rather be on the boat on the bay...

Water Crafts
many 96 xp's
97 gsx
hx 800
My 97 gsx 800 has been solid for the 14 yrs of ownership. Granted it only has 105 hrs on it. Easy to haul myself and one of my young kids around. Does a little over 50mph

Water Crafts
many 96 xp's
97 gsx
hx 800
I had quite a bit of work to do it after i bought it since previous owner neglected it. But just like any other older 2-stroke- clean carbs, replace fuel lines, go through pump and fuel system and lots of cleaning.

etemplet

Water Crafts
None
Paul... that is me for sure. I gotta get things back up to snuff. I spend lots of time and I try not to count the cash. Ha ha

snikwad003

Water Crafts
'97 Challenger 1800
‘98 SPX
‘97 XP
2 '04 honda r12x salty and corroded
Our first ski was a early gts and our second one was a 96gtx. You have 2 of the best family cruisers that can still be sporty. With a big enough wake/wave you can launch that GTX higher in the air than you will know what to do with. It will pull almost anything behind it you want to even some on one ski as long as they are not errrrrr....too fat, people at the slalom course would look at us funny when we would roll up and pull skiers through the bouys while they sat in their nautiques and master crafts. If you want something to add power to get a 787 x4 they're cheap.

Water Crafts
2000 SeaDoo RX Millenium Edition 80hrs
2013 Yamaha Superjet Wamilton build 12hrs
recently sold 200
Carbed 951 RX. Absolutely love mine. Favorite two stroke I’ve ridden.

Water Crafts
2000 SeaDoo RX Millenium Edition 80hrs
2013 Yamaha Superjet Wamilton build 12hrs
recently sold 200
Carbed 951 RX. Absolutely love mine. Favorite two stroke I’ve ridden.
I think you need to start shopping for a RX-X.:)
I’ve thoroughly thought about it! I know of a pair for sale. But the maintenance and longevity don’t sound fun haha.

I tested the GTI the other day (they didn’t have a GTR ready).. not impressed. Now looking VXR.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member