Newbie with another rock stuck in impeller thread but simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

huitzi

Hi im new to the forum, ive been learning a lot and i did search on this topic but i just want to confirm my thoughts on this i have a 2007 RXT with 35hrs on it, Well shallow waters and inexperience ruined my trip to the lake this past weekend, as soon as we put the craft in the water (about 1-2 feet deep) we got not one but 4 good sized rocks stuck in the impeller.... but didnt know that until i rode it a few short times, fisrt it was a really bad vibration which i thought i had the anchor clipped onto my seadoo, anyways we pulled it out of the water and found out we had those rocks stuck in there, we pulled all four out and put it back in the water but still no power and decreasing.... but now almost no vibration, at the end the craft will barely move and the speedometer read 0 the whole time.

Well yesterday I pulled out the pump and impeller leaving only the shaft in there, i thought my problem would be a stripped shaft and impeller but the teeth/splines look fine. only damage i noticed was the wear ring has damage all around due to the rocks spinning and grinding the ring. Now my question is , would the dameged wear ring cause the craft not to go above 3-5 mph?? and the speedometer not to work? or should i keep disassembling the shaft to see if it stripped on the engine side or any other tips?? thanks for reading:cheers: id like to fix this before summer is over

Excessive clearance between the impeller and wear wing will cause the ski to have little forward speed. Engine revs but no go. The limit is only .014 for a 4tec. The wear ring is soft so it is probably the only part that is damaged. Get the tools and do it yourself after down loading the manual.

Excessive clearance between the impeller and wear wing will cause the ski to have little forward speed. Engine revs but no go. The limit is only .014 for a 4tec. The wear ring is soft so it is probably the only part that is damaged. Get the tools and do it yourself after down loading the manual.

thanks for the response, i was hoping that would be it. what about the speedometer?

The speedo is dependent on the little paddle wheel on the back of the ski. You may not have been going fast enough or it got damaged.

Replace the wear ring and you should be good to go and u can even remove it without removing The impeller put the pump housing in the freezer for like a half hour and use a long screw driver from the front and hammer it out I have done it this way many times before

Replace the wear ring and you should be good to go and u can even remove it without removing The impeller put the pump housing in the freezer for like a half hour and use a long screw driver from the front and hammer it out I have done it this way many times before

really? awesome. im gonna do this today. any ideas where is the best place to order the ring from? also i noticed all the bolts had some type of sealant on the threds... im assuming i gotta put some when i intall it. which should i use??

really? awesome. im gonna do this today. any ideas where is the best place to order the ring from? also i noticed all the bolts had some type of sealant on the threds... im assuming i gotta put some when i intall it. which should i use??

blue loctite... in a red tube.

how could a max speed of 3-5mph be a wear ring issue? I realize the wear ring is cooked, but when i had wear ring damage, I still got to my 70mph top speed, its just took alot longer to get there. My acceleration was ruined but my top speed would get there. Im a noob myself., but i highly doubt a damaged wear ring would hurt the performance that much. please correct me if im wrong.,

how could a max speed of 3-5mph be a wear ring issue? I realize the wear ring is cooked, but when i had wear ring damage, I still got to my 70mph top speed, its just took alot longer to get there. My acceleration was ruined but my top speed would get there. Im a noob myself., but i highly doubt a damaged wear ring would hurt the performance that much. please correct me if im wrong.,

well im really hoping its just the wear ring. its in very bad shape, someparts you can almost see through the damege spots on it. ive ordered a new one, i should have it all assembled by next weekend and go for a test ride and let you all know.

again, im new to this, but I live on the water where its very shallow and lots of little rocks. Ive sucked up my fair share of rocks, ruined one wear ring and an hour after the repair, i sucked up about 8 other rocks. The thing is, as soon as you hear rocks sucking kill the motor. Hopefully it will allow the rocks to fall back out of the grates. For me, the rocks usually wedge between the impellar and wear ring and locks that impellar from moving. It will then give a loud vibrating noise. I will NOT touch the throttle when that happens because all your doing is scoaring the wear ring worse and worse and probably damaging the shaft teeth too. I then pull the boat outta the water and fish the rocks out without damagine the ring further.

But my first wear ring blown was pretty gouged, and when i would accelerate, the machine would cavitate really bad, kick up alot of white wash and really just have no guts. But it would still get up to 65-70mph eventually. You should take a pic of your wear ring and post it on this thread. I thik people can tell you if thats the reason you only get 3-5 mph. I have a hard time believing that a damaged wear ring could have that much affect on your ski. Inspect your pump that you didnt crack or damage it with the rocks. I actually dented my pump pretty good and the mechanic had to bang and grind it back to normal.

i'll say it again, im a noob, so take my post with a grain of salt. Just saying,. even if you had no wear ring, you should still be able to get the machine to eventaully get going. Although i wouldnt recommend doing that lol. the wear ring protects your pump.

I hope im wrong and it is just the wear ring, but i find it hard to believe..good luck

again, im new to this, but I live on the water where its very shallow and lots of little rocks. Ive sucked up my fair share of rocks, ruined one wear ring and an hour after the repair, i sucked up about 8 other rocks. The thing is, as soon as you hear rocks sucking kill the motor. Hopefully it will allow the rocks to fall back out of the grates. For me, the rocks usually wedge between the impellar and wear ring and locks that impellar from moving. It will then give a loud vibrating noise. I will NOT touch the throttle when that happens because all your doing is scoaring the wear ring worse and worse and probably damaging the shaft teeth too. I then pull the boat outta the water and fish the rocks out without damagine the ring further.

But my first wear ring blown was pretty gouged, and when i would accelerate, the machine would cavitate really bad, kick up alot of white wash and really just have no guts. But it would still get up to 65-70mph eventually. You should take a pic of your wear ring and post it on this thread. I thik people can tell you if thats the reason you only get 3-5 mph. I have a hard time believing that a damaged wear ring could have that much affect on your ski. Inspect your pump that you didnt crack or damage it with the rocks. I actually dented my pump pretty good and the mechanic had to bang and grind it back to normal.

i'll say it again, im a noob, so take my post with a grain of salt. Just saying,. even if you had no wear ring, you should still be able to get the machine to eventaully get going. Although i wouldnt recommend doing that lol. the wear ring protects your pump.

I hope im wrong and it is just the wear ring, but i find it hard to believe..good luck

to be honest with you i thought the same exact thing, thing is we rode it a lot with the rocks still stuck in there, other thing that is dameged is the pump, the blades(not sure what theyre really called) some broke (as in pieces off of them) and some have cracks in them but im not sure if that will affect it much. maybe im exaggerating on the speed of the craft, i didnt really want to ride it anymore because i felt like it had almost no power. ill try to post a pic of the ring and the pump later

ya the fins at the rear side of the pump that are missing and cracked cant be good. Just inspet that the pump housing isnt cracked or split. I hope you dont have to buy a new pump. When i had the damaged pump the mechanic said, "ill try to get it straightened out but i cant promise anything" i then asked well if you cant how much for a new pump, he told me $3000. I almost vommited. But after asking on this forum, i was told i could find a used one from someone for a few hundred. But finding one is the hard part.

I feel your pain tho man, living on this part of the river causes me nothing but problems. Lately ive been towing my boat to sand beaches so i dont have to hold my breath every time i ride. Next house i buy is will have a sand bottom lake or river lol.

A friend of mine did the same thing
Rocks larger than the intake were sucked in and stuck in the impeller
When dismantled, there was damage to the impeller, wear ring, stator veins, and cracked jetpump housing.
Sent it in for repair along with the other one, for repairs and servicing, $3100 later two skis going great

Gotta love letting friends use your stuff....

quick update. Seadoo is all fixed, took it to the lake and runs just like before. thanks for all the info and tips. total cost of repair was around 60 buck which was only the wear ring. :thumbsup:

nope. i didnt touch the impeller, the "put it in the freezer" trick works great for taking it out and reinstalling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back