Newbie 1996 Challenger owner - some basic questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJaeger

This is my first post other than my introduction in Meet and Greet. I was recently given a 1996 Challenger that had a corroded engine but got that replaced so it's brand new (2 days old). We've had the boat out only once but love it. I have a few questions that seem stupid but I don't know the answers. Hopefully there are some friendly folks out there that can give me some tips. I'm new to this, but enjoy learning and want to know as much about my boat as I can.

1. What kind of oil do I need to be running through it? Is it good enough if it's Marine 2 cycle that's not made for outboards? Or do I need to buy Bombardier oil?

2. When I'm done for the day, what's the best way to keep my carbeurators clean? I hear that this is a problem with the new gas we are using. Should I turn my fuel off and let the engine burn out what's in the line? Is this a good idea? Any other ideas?

3. How do I get the water in the bottom of my bilge out? I take out the drain plugs and even lift the trailer tongue up in the air until the back of the trailer hits the ground, but this doesn't clear all the water? Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing other than this? I don't like the idea of puddled water (maybe half an inch deep) in the bottom of my bilge under the engine.

4. My gas gauge doesn't work. Not that worried about it but if it's easy to replace, I'd do it. Is this something that's easy to replace?

5. What is the screw cap next to the gas tank fill? It's small, about an inch across? Is this part of the flush system? I can't find it identified in the manual.

That's a good start. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Seadoo forum.

I'll try to answer you questions:

1. Injector oil, you need to use an API-TC rated, full synthetic, I use BRP XPS-2.

2. Nothing special, I'll add some Marine Stabil to the gas a couple of times a year. In my boat (not a Seadoo) I use 91 octane no ethanol gas, but it stays on the water year round (on a lift). If you are trailering your boat 87 octane ethanol gas should be fine, that's what I use in the ski's.

3. Pull the drain plug(s), if you are trailering most of all of the water should be gone by the time you get home.

4. The non functioning gas gauge probably just needs a new float in the baffle, get the newer molded style.

5. I don't know, maybe a boat person can answer this one.

Added advice, take it for what it's worth, if you are new to boating take a boating safety course, time well spent and you'll get an extra 10-20% savings on your insurance.

Lou

#5, yep that's part of the flusher system that T's into the same line as the open flusher port on the transom. It's used in the winterization process described in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back