Newb here looking for opinions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

archaicguy

Hi guys,
I will start with saying that I've always enjoyed the thought of PWCs and ran across some Sea-Doo that really caught my eye so I thought I would come here for advice.
I'm married with a 12 and a 10 year old daughter, we love playing in the water (fishing, swimming, kayaking, tubing, skiing etc.) We live in Missouri and often take camping trips to the localish lakes to play and camp. I currently have a 19' fish and ski that we use and think it would be fun to have some Jetskis also that would likely get hauled to the lake more than the boat.

I will be looking to purchase 2 which brings me to options.... given the big view of our activities I ask for advice. I'm not worried about top speed just comfortable, fun and reliable. We would be spending full days out playing, hitting a cove and swimming, towing.
Funds are not unlimited and there is a budget to maintain but I don't mind spending a little extra if it is really worth it.

The Spark..... seems like a lot of fun for a little price
The Trixx seems like a total blast.
----Can either of these handle towing a skier or wake boarder? I'm sure pulling a tube would be easy enough.
----Can an anchor be carried also to stop and swim?

I am considering the Wake 155 also because it is designed for towing but quite a bit more expensive.
----Is the additional cost worth it over the Sparks if they can tow?

Last edited:
First let me say welcome to a great seadoo site.

It really depends on your budget and your mechanical abilities.

If you like to work on things then your best value are a few two strokes like a 1996-1997 GTX or the 1997-2004 GTI's. I would stick with 3 seaters for your activities. You can get the 2 strokes fairly cheap do some typically needed maintenance like carb rebuilds and pump oil changes and get many reliable years out of them.

If you just want to add gas and go and have a little larger budget then non supercharged 4-strokes are good, after about 2008 since the early ones had bad valves.

In my opinion the Sparks are just for a cheap entry level ski. Even the 3 seaters are just a bolt on extension of a 2 seater and are not the best for a family ski. I know many members like @benjilafouine love the new GTI, much more comfortable than a SPARK, same reliable engine, a true 3 seater and while not fast they do 45 mph and can tow and sip fuel.

Thanks for the great info...... I've always been concerned with buying a used one. I'm not familiar with them and their reliability or issues, I'm well versed at turning wrenches but I see a ton of them for sale that are not running which does concern me.

I've seen a couple that look clean anyways...Are 05 GTI's or 06 Wake good with 120 hrs or so?

Last edited:
I have two GTIs: a 2-stroke 2003 and the new 4-stroke GTI 90 2018. Although I love my old GTI, the new one gives me peace of mind. Also, the new GTI 90 is fantastic in rough water.

Yesterday, I went for my first ride in cold weather and had to wear pants and an Under Armour coat, along with wet suit boots. I didn't even splashed my pants: not a drop of water. I didn't even get my feet wet. While an older GTI will run just fine, I find that the new hull is much better when you have to ride in freezing water. With my old GTI, I would have gotten splashed big time (hull is much lower and water has a tendency to go over the hull in moderate wind conditions and splash your pants and even get your coat and face wet).

The GTI 90 is a great ski as it has tons of options at a smaller price if you don't mind not going faster than 42-45 mph. Older 2-strokes are also agreeable but they are a bit less reliable (due to their age). I like riding both my GTI LE 2003 but if I must venture far from home or if the wind is blowing hard, I will prefer my GTI 90. I bought the GTI for the price and for the great options and didn't mind the speed.

As @mikidymac is saying, the Spark is an entry level for young adults with less money to spend and is not meant to be a family ski. Just look at the weight they can carry, I think 450 pounds for Sparks 3-up and 600 for GTIs. Older 2-strokes like my old GTI can carry 536 pounds.

The best is to have one of each...

Hope this helps.

Well...… Got a quote for a
2018 GTI base 900cc
2019 Wake 155
and trailer
Just gotta go over final numbers and sign away

You mean you want the two of them or you will choose between the two of them?

My GTI 90 came with lots of options: a good instrument cluster, mirrors, reverse and IBR (which is practical if you want to tow). I only added a reboarding step. Don't forget that, very useful.

Yea I want both of them. I have a wife and 2 daughters so we would need 2 skis.
Researching items I wanted IBR was on the top of the list, it sure would make things easier for my girls.
It does not have the step but yea that would be added on the quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back