New to 'skis...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyjh63

Hey folks, I just bought an old '96 SPI, and will be taking it to the lake tomorrow. I've never driven a jetski before, nor am I at all familiar with 2-strokes. I'm open to any advice/tips about my maiden voyage and overall operation/maintenance of this new toy. Thanks!

Hi Tony, I’m definitely not near the most experienced guy on here, there are a lot of people that really know there stuff but when I have a new to me watercraft it really depends on the condition of the ski. If it’s been well taken care of and used right up to the point of me purchasing it then I will take it out on the water. As soon as possible though whether it’s been cared for or not I drain any oil from the tank and replace it with XPS oil. Make sure the fuel lines have been updated from the gray tempo lines to 1/4” black fuel line. Clean the micro filter located on the fuel pump side of the carburetor. Not sure if this is a good idea or not but I usually run a 100 to 1 gas oil
mix in the tank besides the oil from the injection. Check the o ring in the fuel/water separator and clean the filter. I always put the ski in the water with the seat off and look for leaks and then go for a short drive with the seat off to look for leaks. Also good idea to check the jet pump oil or even better change it. Good idea to do a pressure test after changing it. Other than that I would suggest getting the manual as it will explain all the maintenance. Manuals are available here on seadoo forum with a premium membership. I’m sure I’ve probably forgotten things but hope this helps.

1/ I always start the boat the day before I want to use it [so if there is a problem, you can change plans.]
2/ I always start the boat before I leave the house [so if there is a problem, you find out now vs at the lake]
3/ Optional - If I forget #2, I start the boat on the ramp before I dip it in the water. And, the boat is always easier to start in the water, if it's already started that day.
4/ Try to buy a second boat! I have always had 2 boats, and gone out as a pair [more fun!] - and - if one boat chokes, the other can tow it home [I have had to do that about 5 times in 20 years, for various reasons - one, engine seized, oil problem; one -went in too shallow water and sucked up a rock that couldn't dislodge; one - friend turned boat over, sucked up water into the engine; one -stopped engine at sand bank, then starter malfunctioned; another, can't remember! ]
5/ If I DO go out on one boat, I dont go farther away from the dock, than I am prepared to paddle [and I have a paddle, or a flag to waive for help if the boat chokes. AND I take my cellphone in a plastic bag. ]
Older boat? = Be prepared!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back