New to Me: Modded 97 SPX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure to replace those fat O-rings also. They shrink up and get brittle over time.

Leak down test? I don't do those normally but a "well worn" engine is going to fail. It still might have a lot of good run time in it though. I would just look at compression and enjoy the ride.

OEM parts are better on the RAVE parts. I wish the aftermarket ones were cheaper then they are. You can search ebay by part # to look for deals on OEM components. Aftermarket ones work fine too though if need be.

Here is a performance question I've been kicking around. I'd appreciate any input.

I ran those aftermarket carbs and intake for the summer. Never got them tuned perfectly. They always seemed to run rich. Granted I only had it out at the very end of the summer and only rode it a few times. It ran awesome when it wasn't fuel flooded.

With the 170 psi compression and stock exhaust, would an ported OEM intake and a 40mm group K setup be a better option? I've been thinking about sending a spare set off to them to build.

They are a nice little improvement over stock. The intake is already good size so it wouldn't need much porting. I'm not sure what Harry charges to do the carbs but I have a set already done for 225 shipped. If you have a clean spare set then you might be money ahead sending them in.

Not sure which aftermarket carbs and intake manifold you were running but there is always a way to dial them in. If your soupy on the bottom end but it runs well otherwise then I'd try raising the pop off pressure or smaller low speed(pilot) jets. That's after I made sure that I could not get there by turning the low speed needles in.

Spent the winter studying up and collecting parts.
I think I’m going to end up with a decent rec ski to compliment the mint 96 XP I wound up with.

8b8d96e7084881cc8750497ecbee010e.jpg

I put my UMI on this weekend. Felt kind of bad pulling it out of the blister pack.

850dc3c696b732355353f96bf8c26a67.jpg

c2e6921c23564ed5a0684efc97c455a7.jpg

5ce0bcbc402b0bbbb6bdc9c774d438b1.jpg
710a3e560793bea6be32a4fe66ed4c66.jpg
c54a916174f6d7788cc9d6c82f6c043b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back