New (to me) 97 Challenger 1800....where to start ??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 97 shop manuals for the 787 and I don't see this contraption anywhere.
Fuel pump??
Anyone have any info on it....like adjustments?

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_131146.jpg
    IMG_20190606_131146.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
Also..... spark plug wires. When I follow them back to the coils they seem opposite to each other. How do I know which side of the coil goes to which spark plug. That doesn't seem to be covered in the manual either.

Attachments

• 15598434478502266767752705218305.jpg
    15598434478502266767752705218305.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
It really doesn't matter as this is a lost spark ignition so it fires both wires at the same time weather that particular cylinder needs it or not.

So back to the smoke issue.... I rebuilt the top end. I noticed that there was a fair amount of oil in the bottom of the engine. Enough that the bottom of the piston rod came back up wet when I turned it...see picture in a previous post.
I assumed there has to be some oil there to keep the bearings lubed. And I'd be surprised if that much oil is getting past the new rings.
The spark plugs are wet every time I take them out.
The exhaust is blowing out really dirty water with little "blobs" of black oil and leaving a huge oily patch in the grass under it.
So, obviously burning oil.
Now I have not run it in water yet...only on the hose. I'm afraid of the oil slick I will leave in the river .
I can't find anything about testing the oil pumps for anything other than making sure they are pumping....nothing so see if they are pumping too much oil.
Or maybe the problem really is all the oil in the crankcase.

This is a 2-stroke so there is some oil in the bottom end but not much. There isn't a sump or oil pump like on a 4-stroke. The oil doesn't get past the rings

If you are getting that much oil in the cases they you have a bad inner crank seal and your need to replace the crankshaft.

If the engine is flooding with oil and fuel then your carbs have bad needle and seats and/or diaphragm. You will need to rebuild the carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts, not aftermarket kits.

This is a 2-stroke so there is some oil in the bottom end but not much. There isn't a sump or oil pump like on a 4-stroke. The oil doesn't get past the rings

If you are getting that much oil in the cases they you have a bad inner crank seal and your need to replace the crankshaft.

If the engine is flooding with oil and fuel then your carbs have bad needle and seats and/or diaphragm. You will need to rebuild the carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts, not aftermarket kits.
I read your carb rebuild thread...Nice! Makes me think I can actually do it.
I'll be ordering the parts soon.
I certainly did NOT want to buy a project boat but here we go......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back