New starter vs. Parts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having an intermittent issue with our starter not engaging. The starter spins every time I engage it, but the solenoid doesnt always kick it up to the flywheel to spin the engine. Being that it is nearly a 20 year old part, I was inclined to just replace it, but I saw that the parts list doesn't have the starter as a whole available except on amazon for $75. Would it be better to buy a whole new starter from Amazon, or buy a new, I am guessing armature, to replace in the original OEM housing? I am a bit leery of replacing what seems like a robust piece that lasted almost 20 years with something potentially much less robust and maybe last us a season or two.

The parts list I found: Mercury Jet Drive Parts - SportJet by HP & Model 210 CARB Jet Drive Powerhead OEM Parts Diagram for Starter Motor Assembly | Boats.net

You seem confused on terms. So we can all be on the same page, the SOLENOID is a relay. There is no solenoid on this starter. It is a separate item.
What is there is an inertia drive. Usually, the problem is simply a case of lube on the helix of the starter shaft. Try spraying your favorite penetrating oil on top of the starter shaft. Turn the gear so it rises. Spray more under the gear onto the shaft helix.

This assumes that the gear is in good condition. If not, a new gear can be had for about $40. A new complete Taiwan-made starter on ebay for about $110.

Duh... that was a dumb mistake.. Yes, my solenoid seems fine. The starter always spins and the gear seems perfectly fine. The only issue is the inertia drive doesn't protrude up to the flywheel to engage. Cool, I did spray some wd-40 in there once and it seemed to help for a week or so, I will try with actual silicon spray. Is there a benefit to disassmebling it and applying actual lube to everything instead of just spraying silicone on what I can see?

The good news is........
You don't have to take it apart. Turn the starter gear so that it rises. You should have access under the gear now. Put a little grease on that helix and you are done!

i have the same issue - at the beginning of each season i spray it top and bottom with lube and it helps alot. I get an occasional spin without engagement, but i just turn the key off and on again and it works again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back