New SBT 787 engine - BAM...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper3322

Now that's what I'm talking about!! :thumbsup:

For those that have written poor reviews, read poor reviews about the remanufactured SBT engines, let me assure you, they are nothing but GREAT!!!

As some of you know there is quite a history with my old engine not reaching peak performance and always some kind of problem. Until recently while trying to prevent it, it blew up and a new 787 engine was needed. Did some research, took some opinions from others on this form and after calling fullbore and them not being able to get to my engine untill September, I went with SBT and glad I did!

They answered all my questions (shipping international) I wanted to make sure I got ALL the correct parts off for no problems or extra costs later. I got their premium engine, along with a new RV and RV cover which I had them installed (didn't want any more excuses why it won't run right lol). I had to ship them my old one first (urg), and once they got it, the next day my new one was in the mail. Got it within 3 business days of shipping FANTASTIC!

I used their instructions, the manual instructions, this forum instructions when reinstalling everything. No problems along the way, just time to make sure everything was done right. Took awhile!! Do wish it was more pull the old, drop in the new tho.

Went to start it the first time and would barely turn over (out of water to bleed the oil lines). WTH... turn over and stopped.... WELL MY BAD... battery was at 30% oops lol... the very last instructions SBT writes, FULLY charged battery. Anyway once charged fired right up, bleed the lines and turned it off. Off to the lake.

I broke it in EXACTLY as SBT recommends on their site, to the T. I used a stop clock and everything lol. I know some people break engines in harder, but figured if afterwards it was not pushing what it is suppose to push I will send it back.

Regardless.... BAM once broken in after the 2nd tank and hitting WOT, it has crazy pull from mid-full, from low-full. It is running FAST, quieter and smoother than my old one. It is awesome!!! I feel like I have a reliable ski FINALLY!! with warranty. I had the BEST weekend yet having high winds with big waves (for my lake) and ripped it up most of the day just flying. LOVE IT!

One thing I have to mention is - my average rpms are around 6580 - 6600, but I'm running the Solas XO prop with a higher pitch than stock, so believe that is why my rpms aren't in the 6700-6900 range. But running against my bro's 97 787 spx which is almost like new with very few hours and has always blew me away, we are side by side.

ALL and ALL - Fantastic experience with SBT, and with their engine.

Sorry for this being long, but there are many bad reviews out there about SBT engines and I had to include my 2 cents.

Special Thanks for all your help to:

Dr Honda (always there to help)
Lou
BMANN06
diggin4aliving (thanks for the engine alignment tool!)
And many others along the way! Thanks again!!

I'm glad to hear it, you deserve some good luck for a change. It's great you got your ski back in the water before the end of summer. BTW I've got a SBT motor in my 95XP800, runs great, it's the premium engine also.

Lou

Thx Lou... Sbt is the only way to go it seems if you want back on the water fast, and it's great!

That's cool... Thought you had sbt in one off your skis. Is your compression at par on that engine? Reading in another thread about compression usually lower. I haven't done one yet, giving it a few more tanks then I will test it. not like it matters much, running great.

Give it a little time the compression will come up as the rings wear in, I haven't check mine recently, the ski's in a friends garage at the lake. When I took it in the spring both cylinders were near 150psi.

Sending you a PM.

Lou

Great story and outcome... Loved readin your post and congrats on doin the work yourself... Enjoy the ski and the restt of your summer. Now you gotta pass your buddy ... Maybe as it breaks in some more you will get those few extra ponies to pass him! :). Yeah Seadoo baby!!! Woohoo!!!

Ya thx Lou, kinda what I figured and not worried about it. at times I back off and then wot, and do it again, seems to bring up the rpms a bit.

LOL thx mano... Can only hope ;-)

Ya thx Lou, kinda what I figured and not worried about it. at times I back off and then wot, and do it again, seems to bring up the rpms a bit.

LOL thx mano... Can only hope ;-)

Thats great your back and up.

Check out Sabers thread about missing rpms. But it's probably your prop like you think.

Thx... Ya I read about his issue, but his is 951 different carbs issue, so don't think it reflects on the 787.

But regardless think it's the prop, but still running mint. I've read the higher pitch will reduce rpms, but still gain top end. So the little loose i'm getting makes sense.

:thumbsup: NOICE!!!!

Nuthin' beats the heat better than be on the lake!! Glad to hear!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back