New SBT 140mm jet pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

Just received new SBT jet pump assembly for my seadoo 1998 speedster. I bought two figuring I'd replace both pumps.

When I put the impeller.shaft through the pump it feeds nicely through 80% of the way but the unthreaded part of the shaft gets stuck on part of the oil seal as I try to get it all the way in. It requires a little bit of force the shaft through flush and once it's in it doesn't spin smoothly even in the vice.

I've prelubed it up with pump oil and both the old and new shaft do the same thing on both new pumps.

Am I doing something wrong or does the friction from the seal go away or is this how it's supposed to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_140303.jpg
    IMG_20210120_140303.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 12
It does take a little force to get past the seal but is shouldn't be excessive. The shaft should spin pretty freely and should be smooth.

I can't say anything about the quality of the SBT pumps as I have never seen one but the quality of some of their other stuff is questionable. You might need to give them a call.

thanks for the response as always, it is smooth but not as smooth as the OEM pump. refer to the video comparing the two below.

perhaps wear on the the OEM pump/bearings/seal is why it spins so much better than the SBT. im just worried its going to blow up when the motor drives it if the oil seal is causing excessive friction.

fwiw the new pumps ran no problem once they got a bit of wear on them. spinning them on the vice now they fly. its the oil seal that is a bit tight on the new sbt pumps. very satisfying taking the boat out without any obvious problems for a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back