New owner, just have some concerns

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryG

Hey everyone. Im a new guy here that just bought a 2002 GTX RFI and I have a couple concerns that may just be nothing. Anyways I would like to get some opinions here on something. The ski has 88 hours and it hasn't been used since 07, thus the reason why the last owner sold it due to not having the time to go out anymore. It was professionally maintained its entire life, and the thing is spotless. It was winterized at the end of 07, has a full tank of gas and fresh oil change. I am anxious to get it into the water but is there anything that I need to look at first?

I hooked the hose up to the ski and ran it for a couple minutes, besides a ton of smoke it ran great. The water came shooting out of the small hole in the back and out of the pump area. It did not come out of the intake grate though. Is that normal or not? I thought the water was supposed to come out everywhere meaning nothing is clogged. Also, should I change the spark plugs before I take it out? I am half tempted to take it to a dealer just to give it a precautionary check before I take it out on the lake. I just don't feel confident with my little knowledge of these skis right now to just say that its ready to go.

Water may not come out the grate depending on how its sitting. as long as it was coming out the pump... you are fine. There is only one hose going to the pump.

You can take it to a dealer... but they are probably back logged, and they will charge you $85/hr or more for something you can do yourself.

I wouldn't change the plugs yet. The smoke is from the oil injection system. The oil has seeped into the engine, and it needs to be purged out. I would buy 2 new plugs, and take them with you to the water.

Take it out for a ride. After 10 or 15 seconds if idleing... make sure the water is coming out the pee hole. If it is... then ease into the throttle. If it's smooth, go and ride as hard as you want. During the first few minutes, it will probably leave a smoke cloud, but it will clear up.

After a 5 or 10 minute ride, come back to the shore, let the engine cool, look for any leaks around the engine, and THEN change the spark plugs.

Expect some water to be in the hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back