New Member First Boat Owner Ran aground now hear grinding noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Boxer 5

:confused:I know I know....

was in the bay in NJ got slightly out of the water channel and ran aground. I know I should have shut the engine jumped out and pushed the boat to deeper water but that was to easy.
I thought I can get out and tried to accelerate and kicked up some sand maybe a few shells through the system.

Made it back to dock no problem engine seems to run fine but impulsion making a somewhat awful grinding noise.
This is really bad isn't it?

Like I always said the best boat to have is your friends boat......
any ideas:

lol...drive it like you stole it...check the wear ring for damage(around the impellor area), then also, grease the zerk, under the grey shield (engine compartment). Maybe just crap still in pump housing, get'n chewed up...

Charlie, take a look at another post in this forum section, "Everyone please read"
You need to check the pump housing itself and make sure the oil didn't leak out, something might have knocked loose the cone, and without oil you can completely destroy the pump, whereas right now it might just need bearings.

Or it might just have a chunk of a tree or something that the impeller is grinding against, and if you don't pull it out you'll be buying a new impeller (just do a search on cavitation to see what a damaged impeller or wear ring can do)

You are looking at lots of dollars if anything gets badly damaged, so I'd really try to get whatever is making the noise fixed now before it gets worse.

Some advice to NOT FOLLOW:

"Jes run 'er harder, and mebbe it will fix itself!"

:)

It always costs more, if you keep running it, with a problem.

Nate

pull the noisy pump and look in there. it is a seashell. it is hurting your wear ring. you aren't going to blow bearings in 2 minutes. after getting the shells and junk out, nice fat bead of silicone where wear ring meets hull and reinstall. even if wear ring is torn up, it'll still run ok. then do the wear rings over the winter. where in jersey? my boat is in margate.

I have a place in Wildwood Crest and ran aground in the bay. But the original owner was around the Margate area not sure exactly where since I'm the third owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back