New member - bought a '95 speedster - could use some advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, getting that oil pump cable on correctly is the part I have the most difficulty with doing carbs on the boat. Sometimes it takes two minutes and sometimes it takes me a half hour to get everything at just the right angle. A third hand is really needed, but there’s no room even if you have a helper!

That sucks about the trailer. Luckily we don’t title or register trailers where I’m at, but I’m going to have a hell of a time if I ever move...

hey, what do you guys use as a sealant around the drive/steering cables? for both sides of the hull (inside the engine compartment, and where the cables exit the hull under the swim platform). need to re-seal left steering cable.

5200 is great for sealing, but sucks if you EVER have to remove/dissassemble.
If you prep surfaces correctly, it grips so well that you'll break stuff if
disassembly is required.

I've had full success with polyurethane caulk from Lowes, believe it or not.
Used it on a 2d bilge pump thru-hull, and steering cable on my 96
Challenger. Loctite "PL Window, Door & Siding Sealant".

I don't trust ordinary silicone sealant for thru hull use.

im a builder/GC by trade and am very familiar with loctites PL line, so i used PL Marine. specifically made for through-hull fittings from home depot. definitely would buy/use again. window and door sealant, like tub/shower and most construction grade sealants, can obviously get wet, but arent meant to be submerged for an extended amount of time. thats not to say its not working for you, but i personally wouldnt trust it for long.

also i have plenty of fittings on my boat that were sealed with something similar to 5200 (or maybe concrete), and as miki said, i just use my razor knife with a fresh blade to make a few deep cuts and my fein multitool takes it off like butter. i definitely hear you though man.

i just figured out a way to register my trailer a few weeks ago and the plate just came in. therefore i was FINALLY able to get out on the water sunday and MAN what a friggin blast!! both motors idle and run like a champ after the tune-up and carb rebuilds, other than the starboard motor running 2k RPM behind. hoping its either a simple throttle adjustment or something is stuck up in my plenum/pumps.

ive been waiting until we were completely done working on it to fully detail it since its covered in oily hand prints lol. im going to wash and buff/polish the gel coat tomorrow, so ill take a better look in the pumps and intake grate.

most importantly, a big THANK YOU to everyone on here who helped me get this thing overhauled and on the water. im not usually a big forum guy, but you all are amazing people and theres such a wealth of knowledge on here id be stupid not to check in regularly.

heres a short video my friend took. he used the selfie camera cause hes a friggin weirdo.

Last edited:
I can’t tell from the video, but is the SB motor running 2k behind at WOT, or just at part throttle settings? It’s normal for them to rev at different rates, but they should wind up pretty to pretty much even when they’re wide open. Remember, you only have one intake, and two differently pitched impellers, so there will always be a difference in load on each motor... You can adjust the throttle linkage to get them close to the same rpm, but even then the boat will track slightly to one side. I adjust mine until the boat tracks straight when the levers are synced at about half throttle and then leave them there.

yeah i know ill never get them perfectly synced, but its running 2k behind at part AND wot so im hoping its just a throttle adjustment, i just didnt have a chance after the ride so ill check tomorrow and make sure the throttles fully opening. i cant get much more than 35mph out of it and it tracks left HARD at full throttle and i have to countersteer far right, so now that i think about it, it may have been the port motor, i cant remember which motor i was throttling back on to try and even them out. im almost certain it just needs an adjustment since this was the first ride after reinstalling the fresh carbs, especially if its the port motor cause thats the "fresh" motor.

thanks a ton for being there jeremy, really appreciate it brother.

EDIT: you know, now that i think of it, after i reinstalled the carbs the throttle cables were all tangled and looped. i meant to fix that before the ride but forgot, need to straighten them out.

Last edited:
Anytime buddy! I’m glad to see it up and running!

Keep in mind that you only have so much room for adjustment at the carb side of the cable. If you don’t have enough to sync them, there is an adjustment on the throttle arm side as well... Just double check the oil pump arm after you move any linkage.

you know what, thats a good point, cause i had to max out the oil pump arm cable adjustment to get the marks aligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back