New guy and new to PWCs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerkingdude

Hi I just picked up a decent 1996 SP with a 587 in it. I do know the history on it but little more and thought the price was right. Being it is my first Jet Ski I am not sure how long it will be before I am looking for more power? I was wondering if it is possible to swap in a single carb 718 or something that I do not have to do major mods or fabrication? Are performance goodies available for such an old machine? Thanks for your patience with a noob LOL.

The SP is actually a great little ski. They apr pretty reliable and fun. You could swap in a 720 but honestly it really isn't worth the trouble. You would be better off looking for an XP or SPX with the 720 or 787 already in it when you are ready to upgrade.

Honestly, for the prices these skis are going for, it will be much less expensive to just buy a faster ski when you’re ready for it. That SP makes a great beginner ski for newer riders though, so I’d probably look for an XP/SPX with a double trailer and keep the SP for friends to ride...

Hi I just picked up a decent 1996 SP with a 587 in it. I do know the history on it but little more and thought the price was right. Being it is my first Jet Ski I am not sure how long it will be before I am looking for more power? I was wondering if it is possible to swap in a single carb 718 or something that I do not have to do major mods or fabrication? Are performance goodies available for such an old machine? Thanks for your patience with a noob LOL.

Great ski, but I'm sure you'll want something else so you could haul a passenger comfortably or keep as second ski to lend to a friend during an outing. Enjoy it for awhile, get rid of it or figure out later what to get to compliment it.

I think I’ll probably hang on to it, I was actually going to look at a canoe but came home with a jet ski and it looked fun so I dove in. I plan on using it for some fishing along with cruising around the Kankakee river nearby where I live. It needs some cosmetic upgrades but looks very sound. If I do get serious about an upgrade I would more than likely get another ski like you guys said. The only thing I regret about getting the jet ski rather than a boat is the dog can’t come along LOL.

Getting ready to go pick up my new toy Monday, gotta get some stuff once I get it home. Need grips, seat cover and running board tape. Other that I am considering some basic gauges like ammeter and fuel. I rode dirt bikes all my life so I suppose I could live without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back