New from Ontario, Canada

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdw

Hi everyone.
I'm new and figured I'd throw out a post introducing myself.
Im from the Algoma area in Northern Ontario (Canada). I am doing some research on boats and that led me here.
We are looking at potentially buying in the off-season (winter) a Sea-Doo Speedster 150 with tower. We fell in love with the white and green one when we saw it, however it is WAY smaller than I thought it would be.
So Im looking to do some learning and see if it is the right machine for us.

We will be riding on smaller inland lakes, as well as some jaunts onto lake Huron where the waves can get pretty big.
We like to explore new areas so a smaller boat would be ideal to get into those areas.
We would also like to be able to tube and maybe try out wakeboarding.

Alternately we were looking at a Yamaha AR190 with tower.

I really liked the 2006 Speedster 200 but I am not sure I want to buy used.

The challenger 180, and 180 sp offer a little bit more however they are $31,000....

So thats covers my intentions, lol... I look forward to talking with, and learning from, you all.

Welcome!!

Just outta personal experience if your going to be in the great lakes you want the bigger option. I got caught in some bad weather in lake ontario once in my 98' speedster and it was brutal, I was being blown around like a canoe. If you do go used don't get too excited and buy the first one you like, post your questions about the specific make/model your thinking of and we'll help you out on what too look for. The only issue you'll have with buying in the offseason is the ability to test drive it. On the other hand you'll get a much better price.

YA, as mentioned the size was the only thing that made me nervous. We will only be going out into the North Channel (see attached map), and not really out into the "big water". But the waves there get pretty big too.

Your boat in the pic is actually the one I like, I thought it was an '06. How does that handle the big lakes? Is it hard on gas?

The only thing is Im weary buying used, there seem to be alot of horror stories. And a new $40,000 Speedster 200 isn't in the cards. Although, it honestly is probably more along the lines of what we're looking for...

The 180 challenger is only $25,000 ($5000 more than the 150), but is it capable of towing and is it a capable boat?

channel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh nice ... I love it up there. The company I work for has a contract with the UCCM Police, Wikwemikong Police, Espanola Police and Elliot lake fire dept. I'm up there all the time! Definately some of the nicest boating!!

My speedster handles fairly well in big lakes and decent rollers. Its hard on gas if you drive it like a seadoo, if your just crusing you will find it reasonable on gas. It's a boat ... its never going to be good right.

Ya its beautiful up here... but shhh, its a secret ! lol

Thats pretty cool you work with UCCM, I actually works in Lands for one of the first nations up here. I do mapping and land use.

Reading more about the 200 I think its WAY more than what Im looking for. I want to occasionally wakeboard and tube, but be able to hit the great lake a bit. Maybe a 180 is more what we need....

There are actually a couple of used 180 challengers around with under 50 hrs use and also an under $20,000 price tag. (215hp version)

this is one of them...
$(KGrHqZHJDYE-87eZ,SGBQErUIc7gQ~~48_20.JPG

But there is just something about new, and the 150's do look fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
From how your sounding about what you want in a boat ... I'd go with the challenger. I think you'll find it alot nicer in the chop, it seats alot more people, I had a sportster 155 same hull as the speedster 150. Trust me it's cramped with 4 ppl in there....

If yah wanna play get a ski down the road ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back