New 951 Coming Together

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Just thought you guys would like to see this. I throw engines together a lot but this is as clean and new as possible. I have a new Hot Rods crank and counter from 2002 when the quality was more respected. I have these super clean cases, OEM ELKO pistons and factory reman cylinders from BRP. I'm gonna have SBT money in an engine that is much better! IMG_9892.jpg

I know 1of500 used the OEM DI pistons in his as they are special coated from the factory and he thought they would live longer in the RXX with the dual factory pipes.

I got the top end on it. I did it the hard way by dropping all the needle bearings all over my filthy shop, in the engine, etc. Then when I get the first piston on to my liking I grab the second and it's 87.91. The first one was 87.89! What the heck? I went through the parts breakdown on 951's here on the site till I felt confident that it took the 89.91 pistons. Luckily I had two of those. There are 36 pins in each 951 wrist pin needle bearing, learned something today.View attachment 38478View attachment 38478View attachment 38478View attachment 38479View attachment 38479View attachment 38478

The RXX is not blown and only has 62 original hours. A younger me would do the fuel system, throw a battery in it and run it till it blows. The problem is that when they blow(and they like to blow) it often puts holes in the cases and trashes a lot of parts. If I tear it down first I might get a chance to utilize the crank and counter, etc.

Seriously how do I edit out the extra pics up there?

For editing the pictures, click edit on the post. You'll see the attachments in the text. Delete a couple of them for each pictures. I had the same problem a time or two. LOL

A man just needs a little time that he can call his own and that's what I got today for a couple/few hours. I dug up clean parts and got the flywheel, Bendix, flywheel cover, oiler drive, cb gear oil and plug on there as well as tape for paint. The bottom case half was done in what looks like VHT wrinkle paint so I picked up a can of that.

I used some RXX reeds and spacers and the manifold for the 97.5 GSXL white pipe. Threebond 1211 on all surfaces so I hope to pass the pressure test with flying colors. Here is a new OEM pressure test kit I'm breaking out. They have thick rubber bonded to the inside. Didn't try the pt today because I want the sealant to dry first.IMG_9945.jpgIMG_9944.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9946.jpg
    IMG_9946.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 44
Looks GREAT Matt !! I got a feeling I'm gonna being doing a couple of these engines shortly.

I broke out the billet case cooler I had made for these early cases(later 951's have a different case cooler bolt pattern) a couple years ago. It feels great to finally put this stuff to work. The RXX cases are the only carbed 947/951 cases with a case cooler from the factory but all cases have the spot for one. I had to sand the area flat and I added the 1211 sealant.... air tight! The engine passed the pressure test on the internals and the cooling. I painted the whole thing in the black wrinkle paint.

Attachments

• IMG_9948.jpg
    IMG_9948.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9947.jpg
    IMG_9947.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 76
Matt I just don't have it in me to make the outside of the engine that pretty dude. :) Looks Great !!

The case cooler came from a guy named Micheal Wessant or something like that. He is a talented guy with some big league tools but unfortunately I cant recommend him. I think he operates on FB but he has pretty much been run off the forums. I bought this for early 951 cases, later cases use a different bolt pattern. This was never anodized, just raw aluminum so I painted over it but it hurt a little. You can get 951 DI cases coolers that are plastic and put them on carbed 951 cases. The surface area has to be prepped a little(I used 180 grit and a sanding block) so it will seal. I back everything up with a thin coat of case sealant like Threebond 1211 or 1284.

Dan- yes I got this in from Texas last month and had to move it to the front. Since skis are not selling right now I'll get to my blown Grey Ghost ski soon. This RXX had 62 original fresh water hours but some sun fade. It was not blown so I have a beautiful engine there to freshen up later. My first RXX had a black pipe and no reed spacers and it ran great! I've had several with twins that will out perform it in acceleration and rpm but those don't like to cruise. I'm hoping the white pipe will be the perfect in between. I have opened the nozzles up from 82/85 to 85/87 to compensate for the missing horsepower. So far everything seems dead on but I'm just putting around taking the dog for a ride breaking it in. IMG_0036.jpgIMG_0036.jpg

Matt's too nice.. Wessant is a turd. Kept (junk) parts I sent him for a year and a half, finally had to call him out on the FB group to get my parts back since he never held up his end of the deal. Calls me a d_ck because of it. I wouldn't know the quality of his parts, since he never sent me the ones I was promised (just a three button holder for cripes sakes, he'd sold a bunch of them) and we booted him from the 2SOG at that point. Would not recommend.

Glad the RXX-lite is working out for you! I cant justify the twins either, 60mph for 200+ hours is a lot more neato than 68mph for 25 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back