Need Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just purchased a 2001 GTX DI and a 2003 XP DI. We took them out this weekend to ride and when riding, I noticed the following issues:

01 GTX - When hauling 2-3 people, hardly any power at all. Top speed with 3 people was 15mph. When only 1 person was on, it was able to hit 25mph, but that's it. I know this thing can go faster than this, but I'm puzzled on what it could be? I called my neighbor who is a mechanic and he came over and we pulled the Spark Plugs and one was definitely bad, but the other was in decent shape. Could this be the problem?

03 XP - When riding, it was sluggish to get up and get going. It would hit 40mph easily, but then would slow up. Also, when idling, it shut off 2 times. We pulled the spark plugs on this one as well and found the same situation as the GTX.

So my question is, could the spark plugs be causing all of our above problems?

It can. 2-strokes eat plugs... and if they foul... the engine stops running.

Put in fresh plugs, and see how they run. This is kind of common if they have just come out of winter storage.

Either one of those skis should accelerate well... and be topping out at much higher speeds. (upper 40's low 50's depending on rider weight)

Just wanted to let you know that I changed the Spark Plugs, drained all of the fuel (sat through the winter), and cleaned the RAVES. We took them out this weekend and they ran like brand new!

The wife had the GTX up to the mid 50's and I had the XP up to the low 60's. They ran wonderful and am glad to know that I can ask you guys anything regarding these before even considering taking these to a dealer to get them worked on.

Prior to posting on here, I had called the closest SeaDoo service center and they wanted $200 per ski just to do the diagnostic work. Luckily, I came about this site and was able to find my exact problem with the help of you guys!

They wanted $400 for both, I ended up paying a total of $9.85 for 4 new spark plugs and about 3 hours of my own time to fix them up.

lol...thats how we roll... suprising they even told you a #.... usually it's.... "uuummm, I dunno; you'll have to bring 'em in"...

Yeah, they said it would be atleast $200 per ski and then if they found anything, they'd tell me before they did the work. But $9.85 vs. $400, I'll take the $9.85 anyday!

Once again, I appreciate your help and will be sure to ask on here prior to taking them anywhere! I think the only reason to take them to a technician would be if it needed to be put on their computer for fault codes that need reset, but hopefully we don't experience anything like that!

Thanks again!!

Well really the reason it is costly is to defray the cost of test equipment, the newer machines have to go on the computer after the basic compression test, fuel/oil samples drawn to observe gelling or water problems, now that they run be sure to mark the oil tanks and use the same oil from the previous owner to avoid the gel that jamms the nozzles, clean the water/fuel filter and test your charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back