Need help from the gurus 99 gtx wont turn over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomayol

So I bought a 99 GTX LTD with only 53 hours with a "bad starter" bring the thing home take the starter out put a new one an the thing wont crank, I take the plugs out just in case its full of oil and nothing either, proceed to try to turn the engine by hand and not even jesus can move that thing... Did I get done I the rear and bought it with a bad motor? or any of you guys have a suggestion?

ouch, hope you didn't pay much for it. are you getting no action from the starter?

unfortunately a lot of the time when a seller says "just needs a starter" it means you just need a starter on a new engine.

it very well could be seized or the pump is locked up. can you hear the solenoid clicking when you press the start button? if you can and you didn't buy a cheep china starter, step one should be to pull the pump and see if you can turn the impeller. if its not the pump than its most likely the motor and you should go ahead and pull the head to see whats going on in there. unless you have access to a bore scope then you should look down the plug holes first.

was this ski sitting a while before you bought it? often if a 951 is left to sit for years at a time and the water is not blown out of the exhaust it'll seep down into the pto cylinder rust it and if left for long enough ruin the crankshaft and counterbalancer shaft bearings on that that side of the motor. especially if it was left outside and condensation was rampant inside the hull.

paid 1100 for it with a trailer but the guy is going to refund me 200 so now im in the search of a used engine so at least I can have fun with the family this summer as I gave the other jetski to my lady lol

it sat for a year and the guy said he was gonna use it and it would crank but yeah the solenoid is good and even the old starter is good

you need to see if you're crank is good, if so you might be able to get away with just a top end. especially if the hour meter is right. imo there is still 150+ hours on that crank if all the bearings are still good. never know what you're going to get with a used motor. even if you by it from a shop.

case in point: i sold my 787 out of personal xp to guy for a gtx. now i was never really genital on that motor and told the guy that, but i did take care of it. anyway after i installed it and cranked it up it ran as it was supposed to for 5 mins on the hose, rev'ed good and everything. right before i was about to shut it off, there was a horrible screeching noise. it was the rotary valve gear stripping. so i head to pull the motor back out, clean the shavings out and put a new gear in. morel of the story is for 500-800 bucks a used motor is just that: used.

Im thinking of buying a rebuilt one but I wanna open this one first and see whats going on so here I go in a 31 degree temp and windy to my backyard to opn the top end... this gonna be hateful lol

Ill post pics tomorrow my cell is dead but I found the problem... the head gasket went bad at some point and one of the pistons its seized in the cylinder so im gonna get a whole new engine as it might have rust in the bottom end too

Ill post pics tomorrow my cell is dead but I found the problem... the head gasket went bad at some point and one of the pistons its seized in the cylinder so im gonna get a whole new engine as it might have rust in the bottom end too
Yep, or they took it off and tried to reuse it. I hate it for you man.

Im gonna soak it up on pb blaster tonight and tomorrow after work im gonna try to loosen them up and pull the cylinders so I can look at the bottom end as the guy that rebuilds them here needs to know if it still a good core and go by that for the price

Im gonna soak it up on pb blaster tonight and tomorrow after work im gonna try to loosen them up and pull the cylinders so I can look at the bottom end as the guy that rebuilds them here needs to know if it still a good core and go by that for the price
It's honestly doubts full. If the bearings have any catch in them at all they're toast. Can still use it as a core tho as long as it's not been welded.

What engine does it take? Sorry to hear of the news on the new purchase :-/

I have a 98' XPL 951 engine in good condition for sale.

I just don't know specifics on carbs vs. rfi and whatnot from your ski to a 98' XPL.

Either way this forum will be a great help with your ski.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
What engine does it take? Sorry to hear of the news on the new purchase :-/

I have a 98' XPL 951 engine in good condition for sale.

I just don't know specifics on carbs vs. rfi and whatnot from your ski to a 98' XPL.

Either way this forum will be a great help with your ski.

Rob
A 98 engine will work for him as long as he uses his flywheel

yeah mine its a 951 gsx ltd carbureted I think your engine its the same too I want to see his price too as its a fresh rebuilt with just 5 hours but that might change depending on your price

Last summer I had SES rebuilt my blown 951 out of my 2000 XP. I shipped it to him and got it back in about 3 weeks or so with a 2 year no fault warranty. Motor ran awesome the rest of the summer and no issues with it. Very pleased.

I did not see where you did anything with the pump. You need to remove it as it may be the seized item.

Do this before you spend any money... Then see if it will turn over.

Ill do that part tomorrow once I try to remove the cylinders... after I pull the head off I noticed the rust but when I tried to pull on the cylinders they would not move the proceeded to rotate it by hand and I could see the cylinders moving a bit but tomorrow Ill definitely look at the pump too... Im going to take pictures now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back