Need advice on New boat purchase/230 wake or 230 challenger???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of I am new to the forum so Hi to everyone. Secondly I am in the same position you are. I am looking to buy a Jet boat as well. I like the challenger 230 as well. It won't be my first boat but it will be my first Jet boat.

It is quite the dilemma you are in. I come from a service background. I have been service manager at various dealerships and have worked in the service field for many years. Here is one peice of advice that maybe you have or haven't thought about.

I am not sure how dealers are where you live but if I bought a boat at one dealership and took it to another dealer to get all of my work and warranty issues looked after you don't exactly get the same warm welcome treatment as you would from the delivering dealer. The dealer doing all of the service and warrranty work is always thinking why should I help this guy. At least that is my experience. It shouldn't be like that but it is and as a service manager I wasn't like that and didn't support it. Not everyone is like that though. However it does happen 90% of the time.

So one really big thing to think about is what is the support and benefits worth by buying it from your local dealer ? What is that relationship worth ? They would probably be there for you more because you bought there.

So there is allot to think about and in reality when you start adding up flights, hotels, food and everyother little expense is saving a couple of thousand really worth the agrevation you may get when you need help down the road and your local guy more or less tells you to pound sand and to take it to smiths.

Just my two cents. Take it for what is worth.

Two opinions.....Craigmri and TVZ1965 are the two longest running members with the experiences, good and bad, in our forum from purchasing a new boat. Their opinion should be the first two opinions you listen to. If you look in their profiles and do a search on their "threads created"......you'll see many issues they both suffered and both found solutions to.

In regard to the warranty from a boat purchased from one dealer and serviced at another, the same would be true if you purchased from a dealer who a month later filed for bankruptcy. The warranty is not from the dealer, it is from BRP. The dealer is not paid by you, he's paid by BRP. So, even though you may find there is some kind of relationship you can start, business is business. If I buy a boat in New York and pull it to Alabama, I"ll expect the same kind of relationship and/or service from any dealership that services the BRP sold brand products. The BBB is an agency that will mediate a problem if you are not treated fairly.

I believe TV and Craig both went through BRP to get satisfactory solutions. So, do not base your decision on buying a boat local, solely on a "relationship".........:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for the Challenger then put the 8 grand you would have saved (by not gettin the wake) into it the way you want it..With a kick ass stereo & whatever else the 8g will getcha :cheers:

So you get a boat yet

Any update ?? Did you buy your boat ?? You have way more control than I would LOL. I have no patience or will power when it come to purchases like boats, vehicles and other toys. I would have bought it and had about 20 hours on it the first week.

Any update ?? Did you buy your boat ?? You have way more control than I would LOL. I have no patience or will power when it come to purchases like boats, vehicles and other toys. I would have bought it and had about 20 hours on it the first week.

I hear you...I'm the same way. The only reason I haven't bought the boat yet is because my pre- approved loan is part of a home refi and it won't close and fund till the 5th of June. Or else I would've caved and bought the boat the first day I saw it!! I requested a quote from another dealer out of state and they quoted me $34,699.00 for an 08 challenger 430hp with wake tower and retractable windshield. That is the same price quoted to me by my local dealer for an 08 challenger 430hp but without a tower(just a bimini) and no retractable windshield. The only problem is with the out of state dealer I have to deal with transport fees which could be up to 2000. I will go into my local dealer this weekend though and ask them to make it 34k even and I'll get it if they agree to that. I probably won't get my hands on the boat till the loan funds on the 5th though but as soon as I do I'll post pics for all to see!!

Please don't take offense but I can't figure out why you aren't buying out of state to save thousands of $$. If its because you're worried about service after the sale I think you're misguided.

The service dept. has no idea where or who you bought the boat from. Nor do they care. Everytime you take the boat in for a warranty sevice issue Bombardie pays the service dept. So to service dept it makes absolutely zero difference if you bought from their sales dept or one 3 thousand miles away.

I agree

:agree:

My experience buying in NC and having it serviced here in Florida has been exactly as Robert described.

Craig

Please don't take offense but I can't figure out why you aren't buying out of state to save thousands of $$. If its because you're worried about service after the sale I think you're misguided.

The service dept. has no idea where or who you bought the boat from. Nor do they care. Everytime you take the boat in for a warranty sevice issue Bombardie pays the service dept. So to service dept it makes absolutely zero difference if you bought from their sales dept or one 3 thousand miles away.

:rofl:My reason for buying local is because I'm new to boating, meaning I've never owned a boat much less towed one, launched it, retreived it and maintain it (never driven one either). The owner of the local seadoo dealer offered to teach me how to operate the boat and he didn't mean a 30 min rundown. He's actually gonna spend a full day out in the river showing me the proper way to get the boat in and out of the water, how to operate it and things to look for when inspecting the boat. That to me is more important than saving a couple of $$$$ and having to fly somewhere out of state and really being clueless as to what to look for in a boat. I mean, if I flew out to buy a boat and the boat looked nice, how would I know what to look for? once the boat got delivered here, who would I ask to teach me how to use it? I guess I could ask a friend of mine who has a boat but he is pretty new to boating as well. I feel more at ease having the dealer owner here who knows about seadoos first hand give me a boating 101 course...and having his cell # to call if any issues arise or I have any questions. Now as far as the warranty is concerned, I agree that any dealer here should have no problem servicing the boat if it's under warranty without caring where I bought the boat. They just won't spend a day out on the river teaching me how to use it, I guess if I paid them they might :rofl:
Anyway, the advice here has been awesome and to update everyone who's followed this thread: I went to the dealer today and paid a $500 deposit on the boat since the seadoo incentive (5year warranty+rebate) ends may 31st. and my loan doesn't fund till June 5th. The dealer said if I wanted to take the boat this weekend I could pick it up Sunday, they will detail it tomorrow and get the paper work (registration, permit, etc. ready) they just won't turn the title over till it's paid in full. The final purchase price was 34K with licensing fees and such making it a total of $34,250.00 The boat comes with a 5 year warranty from seadoo, cover, bimini, retractable windshield, 430hp SE edition, one day of instruction on proper operation and maintenance and a one year 20% discount on any item like inflatables, life jackets, wetsuits, boards etc. at the dealer. So all in all I'm pretty satisfied and will post pics next week when I get her!!!!:hurray:

LG,

Congrats on the new boat!!! Remember, you MUST bring a digital camera on your maiden voyage or be subjected to a massive flogging from everyone here. WE WANT PICS!!!!:lurk:

Craig

Any last word of advice?

Ok, as I stated in my previous post, it's a done deal...I should get the 230 challenger this week. Now I have a couple of questions and observations and would like everyone's input. The 230 Chellenger I'm buying is an 08 model but it is new (so the dealer says), my question is: How do I know it is in fact new? When i went to see the boat it was inside their shop next to the 230 wake which is also an 08 and new but both boats weren't wrapped in plastic in fact they had their covers on and whe I was inside the 230 wake a tech guy came on board and opened the engine compartment and took something out or adjusted something in there. I asked the guy showing me the boat if these boats had an hour meter showing the hours on the motor and he said they didn't. He said if they hook it up to a computer they should be able to tell? I understand they might have to do preventative maintenance on the boat if it is just sitting there for a whole year but who's to say that it's been taken out and maybe have 10 hours, 20 hours,24, 40hours put on it and how would I know? The boat is being sold to me as new with 5 years of warranty through seadoo but like any other NEW purchase I'd like to know for a fact that the boat is in fact new....Suggestions??? Of course I don't want to be rude and question everything they tell me but I want to know for sure it is a brand new boat not one with 30 or 40 hours on it since if it has that many hours I might as well buy used and not pay the premium that comes with buying new....Also, since the dealer is taking me out for a first trial run later this week I'm sure any problems like loose hoses won't be something I'll have to deal with on my own but what should I check on the boat for myself without relying on someone's word? Fire away guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, as I stated in my previous post, it's a done deal...I should get the 230 challenger this week. Now I have a couple of questions and observations and would like everyone's input. The 230 Chellenger I'm buying is an 08 model but it is new (so the dealer says), my question is: How do I know it is in fact new? When i went to see the boat it was inside their shop next to the 230 wake which is also an 08 and new but both boats weren't wrapped in plastic in fact they had their covers on and whe I was inside the 230 wake a tech guy came on board and opened the engine compartment and took something out or adjusted something in there. I asked the guy showing me the boat if these boats had an hour meter showing the hours on the motor and he said they didn't. He said if they hook it up to a computer they should be able to tell? I understand they might have to do preventative maintenance on the boat if it is just sitting there for a whole year but who's to say that it's been taken out and maybe have 10 hours, 20 hours,24, 40hours put on it and how would I know? The boat is being sold to me as new with 5 years of warranty through seadoo but like any other NEW purchase I'd like to know for a fact that the boat is in fact new....Suggestions??? Of course I don't want to be rude and question everything they tell me but I want to know for sure it is a brand new boat not one with 30 or 40 hours on it since if it has that many hours I might as well buy used and not pay the premium that comes with buying new....Also, since the dealer is taking me out for a first trial run later this week I'm sure any problems like loose hoses won't be something I'll have to deal with on my own but what should I check on the boat for myself without relying on someone's word? Fire away guys.

DONT BE SHY QUESTION EVERYTHING. Thier not being truthfull with you.The BUDS system is very advanced if they hook it up to BUDS then will be able to see the hours and also if it was used you will also be able to see a full history of the RMPS and hrs for both engines. For example the bar graph of the rpm history will show that it was run at 6000-7000rpms for "x" % for the total hrs on the boat. Also look everything over really good and make sure everything intack and working right, also make sure "they" check ALL the hoes clamps are thight befor you sign on the dotted line and hand over your money. ALSO if it a NEW boat it will have "ZERO" hours on it...

Congrats on the new boat man!! I am very jealous. That is an AWESOME boat your getting. Its a helluva price too. The reasons your stating for wanting to shop local are def. valid. If I was in your situation with no experiance I would make the same decision. Having the local guy take you out for a day and having him on speed dial is def. worth the extra money if your a first time buyer.

As far as time on the boat, the service shop can attach a diag. tool and then give you a print out of the life of the motor. I mean time run, percentage of time at XXX rpms etc. Its really impressive. Please make sure they do this for you. Its in no way innaporpriate to ask for this if the boat isn't still in the shrink wrap. (it takes like 5 minutes to do too) First thing I would ask is if the boat has been in the water. If they say no, then the motor shouldn't have anytime on it more than a couple minutes. If it has been in the water then anything under 1 hr should be acceptable.

You sound like your on top of things and have done your research. Enjoy your new ride and let us know how it goes :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back