Need advice on New boat purchase/230 wake or 230 challenger???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lgwise

Ok guys, here's my dilemma. I've never owned a boat before and have decided to buy one before our summer begins here in Portland Oregon. I've read the foruma and have searched online mainly for a 230 wake because I just love the way it looks (the girlfriend loves the 230wake also). I found one on ebay, an 08 230 wake with 2 years of warranty left and 50 hours on it for 35K + shipping to portland adds another 1500. Total about 37k. I called my local seadoo dealer and went in to see what they had. Lo behold they had a brand new 08 230wake. They told me they would sell it to me for 44K w a 5 yr warranty. they also had an 08 230challenger with the 430hp motors. that one they told me 36K with the 5 yr warranty also. Both boats with a boat cover included and trailer. to my surprise...the challenger is the exact same boat as the 230wake in terms of body style, motor and length with both fitting 12 people and both have 430hp. the 230wake comes with the tower and a heater and the ballasts as well as the perfect pass option and retractable windshields but besides that the challenger is identical. The challenger comes with a bimini but no tower and the windshields are not retractable. and the paint scheme is different for both boats. In terms of speed and length both are one and the same. I didn't negotiate or make any offers since I was there only to see the boats and then come back here to get an idea from more experienced members here. 230wake for 44k or 230challenger for 36k??I will definitely make a lower offer on both boats and whichever one they take I will buy. My question is..what is a good starting offer I should make on the 230wake and/or on the 230 challenger? And what should I expect to pay or agree to pay for either of those 2 boats?I already have a loan pre approved, It's just a matter of getting the most bang for my buck.I'm thinking to offer 3k less on both boats and willing to settle on 42k for the 230wake or 34k for the 230challenger. Is that reasonable or should I be mor agressive on negotiating? ANy tactics I should use or things I should ask the dealer for? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated and pictures will definitely follow once I get my boat!!thanks everyone.

Get the 230 Wake you know you want it :)

You are absolutely right on that one!!! I want the 230 Wake. But gotta think with the big head and not the little one. It's like having 2 ferraris side by aside and one being the regular edition and then having the racing edition next to it.

Exactly get the racing addition. If I was in the 35-45K market for a boat I would buy the one I want and that would be the 230 Wake. Pay a little more and get the boat you want.

However if you don't wakeboard or plan on wakeboarding you would not need the 230 Wake. The tower, microphone, ballasts are all for wakeboarding. Buying these things afterwards is a pain.

Exactly get the racing addition. If I was in the 35-45K market for a boat I would buy the one I want and that would be the 230 Wake. Pay a little more and get the boat you want.

However if you don't wakeboard or plan on wakeboarding you would not need the 230 Wake. The tower, microphone, ballasts are all for wakeboarding. Buying these things afterwards is a pain.

I agree. I've never wakeboarded before but that doesn't meant I won't...I'm 30 yrs old and in good shape and wakeboarding appeals to me..i simply just haven't had a boat in order to pick up the hobby. I'm sure I'm never gonna be a pro wakeboarder but I'll try it. This is what makes me debate whether the 230wake or the 230 challenger is my boat to be. I know you can wakeboard without a tower with the 230 challenger. The tower and ballast tanks are meant for people who want to wakeboard and know how to do it, and want to catch 20+ feet of air. I don't think that is me. either way I'm going to get the 230wake or the 230 challenger...my main concern is figuring out how much to offer the dealer for either boat without being an ass and trying to steal it. I understand it's a business and as abusiness owner myself I need profits to stay in business and so does the seadoo dealer. Anyone has an idea of what I should offer and expect to pay for either of these two boats. I mean, I could pay msrp but who does that in this day with this economy? i want to pay what is fair to both the dealer and to me. they said 44k for the 230wake and 36k for the 230challenger. anyone?

get a 09!!

hi, i was in the same situation... i know its not easy but save some $ and get a 09!!

i received my 09 challenger in salt with the tower option 2 weeks ago ( switzerland) 510hp :rofl:

i know they are pricy BUT that are 10 times better. new hull, GREAT interiour, wow, same quality as mastercraft!!... woth every $.

wake or challanger, thats for you to dicide. i got the challenger with tower, added 2 heating units ( the wake only has one) , underwater leds, fridge, ... even a fresh water shower... also liked the table teh wake dosent have..

i am also 30 ( 29 :hurray: ) , love to wake but dicided i need the storige space more than the ballast bags. all you have to do is pick-up a buch of peolpe and you will also have the same wave...

what evev you do, you will have a great time in your doo!

patrick

Some of you guys might be suprised by this but, go with the wake!
If you thing you want to try wakeboarding, Its nit hard to install a tower but why not have the factory install it. Plus for me the Colors are COOLER.
I'm 40 and I got mine to try wakeboaarding and for the kids.
Chicks dig it. (Don't tell the wife). Sea Doo is offering 5yr warranty and $3000 cash back on 07 and 08 boats. being its a 08 I would say 44-3=41 offer them 37 and see what they say you know they want to get rid of it.

Lgwise,

While Tony and I had soem real "Experiences" at Smith Powersports, they have some unbeatable offers on 2008 230's.

http://www.smithpowersports.net/shop/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=5372762&Brand=173&Type=2717

Ask for Fred in Sales and mention my name "Craig G from Florida".

http://www.smithpowersports.net/shop/index.htm

Craig

Thanks for the links that is an awesome price for the 08 230 challenger I wonder if they have the 08 230 wake and what deal if any they have on it. I will be using that sale as fire power at my local dealer to see if they will lower both prices on both boats and by how much. I'm a little bit scared of buying from out of state and having it shipped here. Maybe my fears are unfounded but with that much money at stake I'd like to go local but with that price on the challenger it has me rethinking that.

Some of you guys might be suprised by this but, go with the wake!
If you thing you want to try wakeboarding, Its nit hard to install a tower but why not have the factory install it. Plus for me the Colors are COOLER.
I'm 40 and I got mine to try wakeboaarding and for the kids.
Chicks dig it. (Don't tell the wife). Sea Doo is offering 5yr warranty and $3000 cash back on 07 and 08 boats. being its a 08 I would say 44-3=41 offer them 37 and see what they say you know they want to get rid of it.

I tend to lean more towards the 230 wake for the sheer fact that it is a "sexy" looking boat, not to take anything away from the 230challenger but the 230 wake just makes me turn my head a tad more than the challenger. It could be those graphics and that wake tower that does the trick. I already went to the dealer and saw both boats, I'm sending my girlfriend over today to look at them. I told her she is not to discuss pricing but to simply look at the boats. I called the sales rep and told him if they haggle her over pricing I won't buy from them. I told him to simply let her get into both boats and look at them. They have my business card and my contact info and I will be making an offer on the 230 wake first to see what they are willing to let it go for. Like I said, I have the loan approved for $36,200 and I will provide them a copy of the loan approval doc. to show them I'm serious. (the loan amount can easily be increased but they don't know that) I will give them an offer of 37K and then will report back here how it goes. Wish me luck and keep the good advice comming cause I'm getting a boat in the next 2-3 weeks and the dealer with the best deal will get my business.

Ballast?.........

Not so sure I would ballast a Wake model in the Columbia or Willamette rivers. When you ballast, you set the boat down deeper in the water. With that in mind, if you hit one of those floating logs, your gonna break it in half!:rofl: J/K.....

I'd say go with the Challenger because when it comes to wake boarding, I don't see a need for it. See, up there, you can do the equivalent to wake boarding on Mt. Hood (at Timberline preferably) with a snow board. Why spend 10k more when it's a short lived summer and you have snow boardin? I can understand someone here on the Gulf coast or along the Eastern seaboard, or even California..........but Portland? Yeah, go with the Challenger. Also, 10k more for a "bigger" wake. Come on, the wake behind the Challenger is good enough for novice...........

With the economy in the tank, I'd haggle at least 5k. You might even start with 7 because of how hungry the market is but then, take it down to 5, maybe 4.............but haggle. That's the fun out of buying a new car or boat!.........:cheers:

Not so sure I would ballast a Wake model in the Columbia or Willamette rivers. When you ballast, you set the boat down deeper in the water. With that in mind, if you hit one of those floating logs, your gonna break it in half!:rofl: J/K.....

I'd say go with the Challenger because when it comes to wake boarding, I don't see a need for it. See, up there, you can do the equivalent to wake boarding on Mt. Hood (at Timberline preferably) with a snow board. Why spend 10k more when it's a short lived summer and you have snow boardin? I can understand someone here on the Gulf coast or along the Eastern seaboard, or even California..........but Portland? Yeah, go with the Challenger. Also, 10k more for a "bigger" wake. Come on, the wake behind the Challenger is good enough for novice...........

With the economy in the tank, I'd haggle at least 5k. You might even start with 7 because of how hungry the market is but then, take it down to 5, maybe 4.............but haggle. That's the fun out of buying a new car or boat!.........:cheers:

Thanks for such valuable insight!! I agree with everything said in your post. I will go with the challenger model since I don't need the ballast system. I can always add a tower later if I decide I want one. 10K more just doesn't sound like it would be worth it to me personally as I will not be wakeboarding a lot...I'm a novice. I'm very tempted with the link to the special mentioned on this thread a few posts up. Even if shipping was 1500-2000 it would still come out under 30K which at this point is a lot better than the 36K the dealer here told me. I will print out that special and take it to them and tell them to make me an offer as good as that one. I've made up my mind though...it's the 230 Challenger for me, by the way, what is the opinion as far as what I could expect to pay for the 09 version of the Challenger? I mean...if the price difference isn't more than a few thousand I might try for an 09 but I'll settle for an 08 either way.

wakeboarding

I've been wakeboaring for about 7 years now my first three with no tower, trust me when I say if you plan on doing a lot of wakeboarding you definitely want a tower. The tower makes it a lot easier for beginners to deep water start and its harder to land when your pulling down instead of up. As far as wake verses challenger something to consider in my opinion the hardest part about wake boarding is finding someone who can keep the boat at a steady speed and jet boats are harder to hold the speed steady. I'm really happy with my 230 wake and the perfect pass makes a big difference and if you get good enough to want a bigger wake then you'll have to buy the ballast anyways.

Ok Guys...here's the update. I gave my dealer here a link to the website: smithspowersports.com where they advertise an 08 230Challenger SE 430 HP for 26,499 and they said they would call me back. They called me back and said that the absolute best they could do, was to lower their 230challenger SE to $34,699. I told them that if I could get the same boat from smith powersports delivered to my door for under 30K that that would be the route I'd go and told them I would rather buy locally but for a saving of 4,500. I was very tempted to buy at smithpowersports. So, I called smithspowersports and spoke to fred and he told me that they just sold the 08 230 Challenger SE 430 HP but that they also had another new 08 230 challenger with the 310 hp motor and he went on to say that he also had an 08 230 challenger SE 430 HP with a wake tower on it. He said "I also have an 08 230 challenger SE Wake with the tower" . He said he could sell that one for $28500 and since I was from way out in Portland and would still have freight to deal with that he would lower the factory delivery charges?? to just 699. making it a total of $29,199. He said that was a "killer deal" on that boat. Now I need some feedback here. first of all, the 08 challenger SE wake with tower is the same boat as the 08 challenger SE right? I'm assuming the only difference is the "wake with tower" meaning it only has a wake tower added. Second, does anyone know or have an idea of how much it would cost for freight from Hayesville, NC 28904 to Clackamas OR 97015? I'm guessing anywhere from 1500 to 2000? Anyone? Also, how would I go about finalizing this deal if i were to buy from smithpowersports? SHould I fly out there to look at the boat myself or should I hire someone independently over there to go and inspect the boat prior to purchasing and if so who? Like I said in the beggining of my thread...I've never bought a boat before so even if I were to go look at it, I wouldn't know what to look for.

LG,

Fred is a good guy and Charles(owner) has earned my respect the way they took care of my problems in the end.

With that being said, I strongly suggest you fly out there to inspect the boat prior to closing on it. Go over the boat stem to stern with a fine tooth comb and a notepad. YOU WILL FIND ISSUES.

Make a mini-vacation out of the trip. if you have the time why not rent a u-haul and tow it home.

Craig

Hey Lg

First of I am new to the forum so Hi to everyone. Secondly I am in the same position you are. I am looking to buy a Jet boat as well. I like the challenger 230 as well. It won't be my first boat but it will be my first Jet boat.

It is quite the dilemma you are in. I come from a service background. I have been service manager at various dealerships and have worked in the service field for many years. Here is one peice of advice that maybe you have or haven't thought about.

I am not sure how dealers are where you live but if I bought a boat at one dealership and took it to another dealer to get all of my work and warranty issues looked after you don't exactly get the same warm welcome treatment as you would from the delivering dealer. The dealer doing all of the service and warrranty work is always thinking why should I help this guy. At least that is my experience. It shouldn't be like that but it is and as a service manager I wasn't like that and didn't support it. Not everyone is like that though. However it does happen 90% of the time.

So one really big thing to think about is what is the support and benefits worth by buying it from your local dealer ? What is that relationship worth ? They would probably be there for you more because you bought there.

So there is allot to think about and in reality when you start adding up flights, hotels, food and everyother little expense is saving a couple of thousand really worth the agrevation you may get when you need help down the road and your local guy more or less tells you to pound sand and to take it to smiths.

Just my two cents. Take it for what is worth.

Agree somewhat

J,

I somewhat agree with you. The "relationship" is worth something but you know that can be developed. I bought my boat from smiths and have had significant warranty work done at Barneys of St. Pete. They love me at Barneys. Why you ask? because I provide them with all the warranty work and they also got the 10 hour service business. They have taken great care of me.

I hear what you are saying. There may be some dealers out there that wont go to bat for you on "questionable" cases because you didnt buy from them but I feel that the service department needs to run their own business and wants service revenue. No matter, once Barneys realized I was going to be a regular they really didnt care where I bought the boat from so long as I would be back again and again for service.

Craig

First of I am new to the forum so Hi to everyone. Secondly I am in the same position you are. I am looking to buy a Jet boat as well. I like the challenger 230 as well. It won't be my first boat but it will be my first Jet boat.

It is quite the dilemma you are in. I come from a service background. I have been service manager at various dealerships and have worked in the service field for many years. Here is one peice of advice that maybe you have or haven't thought about.

I am not sure how dealers are where you live but if I bought a boat at one dealership and took it to another dealer to get all of my work and warranty issues looked after you don't exactly get the same warm welcome treatment as you would from the delivering dealer. The dealer doing all of the service and warrranty work is always thinking why should I help this guy. At least that is my experience. It shouldn't be like that but it is and as a service manager I wasn't like that and didn't support it. Not everyone is like that though. However it does happen 90% of the time.

So one really big thing to think about is what is the support and benefits worth by buying it from your local dealer ? What is that relationship worth ? They would probably be there for you more because you bought there.

So there is allot to think about and in reality when you start adding up flights, hotels, food and everyother little expense is saving a couple of thousand really worth the agrevation you may get when you need help down the road and your local guy more or less tells you to pound sand and to take it to smiths.

Agreed

Yes I agree with you on that Craig. Whenever I get a customer in my shop I treat them the best way possible. The same as all of my customers because the service dept is what gains and keeps customers.

People always tell me that they should have bought at my shop in the first place and will definately do so in the future.

In the meantime Lg I was just browsing the forum here " which I love by the way" and found a post regarding a members experience with smiths.

Well worth the read. Actually he replied here as well.

It was by TVZ1965. I feel so bad for the guy. His thread is definately the sevice experience form hell.

I agree with what you said. That's why I haven't flown out to buy the boat at smiths power sports just yet. I have made it very clear to the dealer here in Portland that I would rather buy locally. I also made it clear that like anyone in the market for a vehicle whether it be a car or boat wants the best deal available and by best deal I don't necessarily mean just in the final price. I would rather spend a couple more grand and have the peace of mind knowing I can just call the local dealer and speak to the guy I already know regarding any issues. Bottom line is the Seadoo dealer here in Portland offered me the new 08 230 Challenger SE 430 HP for $34,699.00 and Smith's offered me the same boat but with a factory wakeboard tower for a total price of $29,199.00 I figure freight to be at most 2K so for arguments sake that would be a total price of $31,199.00 for a price difference of $3,500.00 SO my dilemma now becomes, Buy from out of state and save $3500 or buy local and spend $3500 more. I'm coming to the conclusion that buying locally and spending a little more is in my best interest being that I'm new at boating and will more than likely need dealer support for minor issues that someone more experienced would'nt. What's the consensus here?? Is $34,699.00 a fair price to pay for a new 08 230 Challenger SE 430 HP from an authorized dealer with 5 year warranty?? SHould I try for a little less on the price like 34K even? SHould I ask the dealer to give me some sort of discount on parts instead of lowering the price anymore? Opinions and ideas please as I'm getting anxious to get a boat since this week it's sunny and in the upper 70's and lower 80's here in Portland and with the Rose Festival at the Waterfront I'm dying to Sport a new 23' Challenger and turn some heads.....hahahaha.:cheers::agree::reddevil:

I think it is good

I can't speak for the US pricing since I am in canada but here the cheapest I could find a Challenger SE with 430 hp is $42,000. That is without tax it is nearly $50,000 with tax.

So given the exchange rate the 42,000 cdn is about 36,000 us. So $34,699 is cheaper than what I can find it for.

Buy Local although I called the local Dealer before going to smiths. They didn't cll me back unit after I bought it from smiths (aweek later). This is the only thing that me and Craig disagree on I wouldn't buy from Smith. I dealt with Charles and after qestioning his quailty of workmanship from his Techs he refussed to fix his F up. Also got the bait and switch on the warranty from Smith's also. Thought it was a Sea Doo and it end up being an "interstate"

I love my 230 wake's looks. :hurray:
As for a boat cover the retail for aroud $400

don't hate me Craig

Its all good

Tony,

I have the utmost respect for your opinion and after what you've been through you have every right to not recommend Smith.

I remember vividly sitting in Kens(fianance guy) office and he initially was trying to sell me the extended warranty and when he offered the price I asked if that was the BRP warranty and he said it was another name. Red lights went off in my heard immediately. Never buy a third party warranty...Ever! My brother bought one for his car a few years ago.....6 months after he got it that company went under. This doesn't even factor in how a dealer has to battle to get stuff paid. I immediately said I would ONLY be interested in the BRP warranty so thats when he switched the paperwork and the paperwork mistakes began for me that took three months to correct.

Tony, when I was in the heat of my issues you took the time to discuss it all with me on the phone even when you were at work. You provided me all the contact information at BRP that was so effective in getting some attention. You rock my friend! :patriot:

Craig
Buy Local although I called the local Dealer before going to smiths. They didn't cll me back unit after I bought it from smiths (aweek later). This is the only thing that me and Craig disagree on I wouldn't buy from Smith. I dealt with Charles and after qestioning his quailty of workmanship from his Techs he refussed to fix his F up. Also got the bait and switch on the warranty from Smith's also. Thought it was a Sea Doo and it end up being an "interstate"

I love my 230 wake's looks. :hurray:
As for a boat cover the retail for aroud $400

don't hate me Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back