Need Advice .. Nozzle Won't Budge from Stator .. Changing Stator Oil Hopefully Lol

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

slacks

Hi Everyone, just purchased a 2000 Challenger 2000 which by the looks of things probably has less than 100 hours total. Trying to find a dealer with a diagnostic tool to find out for sure but that's another "to do" thing for later. I live in a suburb of Toronto Ontario Canada so its time to winterize things. I have had a SeaRay Jet boat with the Sportjet 90 in it and had no problems changing gear oil in the drive and stator but this 240 is giving me challenges.

My guess is that the Nozzle and probably the Stator have never been removed although I can tell for sure that the Drive oil has been changed. After removing the cables and 4 bolts holding it to the Stator, it will not budge an inch. I have tried the rubber mallet approach hitting it around the Nozzle edges but again it doesn't move an inch.

Question for those who have been there .. done that ... where is the best area to persuade it using the rubber mallet. Or perhaps , there is another approach that works better. I want to avoid using lets say a big screwdriver to wedge between the 2 mating surfaces which might result in messing things big time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks in Advance

Bruce

Hi Everyone, just purchased a 2000 Challenger 2000 which by the looks of things probably has less than 100 hours total. Trying to find a dealer with a diagnostic tool to find out for sure but that's another "to do" thing for later. I live in a suburb of Toronto Ontario Canada so its time to winterize things. I have had a SeaRay Jet boat with the Sportjet 90 in it and had no problems changing gear oil in the drive and stator but this 240 is giving me challenges.

My guess is that the Nozzle and probably the Stator have never been removed although I can tell for sure that the Drive oil has been changed. After removing the cables and 4 bolts holding it to the Stator, it will not budge an inch. I have tried the rubber mallet approach hitting it around the Nozzle edges but again it doesn't move an inch.

Question for those who have been there .. done that ... where is the best area to persuade it using the rubber mallet. Or perhaps , there is another approach that works better. I want to avoid using lets say a big screwdriver to wedge between the 2 mating surfaces which might result in messing things big time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks in Advance

Bruce

Just to be sure--

There are 2 sets of 4 screws on the stator. The aft-most set will only remove the nozzle. The other set, forward, larger bolt circle, will remove the stator. The nozzle and stator can be removed together. Usually, the hardest part is getting the bolts out.

Hi Tim, thanks for the suggestion on the possibility to remove the nozzle and stator togeather ... the downside I guess would be the ability to get at the stator drain plugs but it would be doable. Specific to my question, I only removed the 4 nozzle bolts that hold that to the stator. I'll wait a bit to see if any others have experienced the same scenario getting the nozzle off but thanks again for your suggestion.

Another alternative I guess would be to put the reverse gate in the forward position and then remove the stator drain and fill plugs one at a time and syphon the oil out but as we all know, its best to remove both units to ensure down the road they don't get stuck like they are.

Thx again

Bruce

If memory serves me there are two or four bolts that are screwed thru the ride plate.while your at it replace the shift stearing bellows and anode on the bottom two nozzle bolts

Hi Tim, thanks for the suggestion on the possibility to remove the nozzle and stator togeather ... the downside I guess would be the ability to get at the stator drain plugs but it would be doable. Specific to my question, I only removed the 4 nozzle bolts that hold that to the stator. I'll wait a bit to see if any others have experienced the same scenario getting the nozzle off but thanks again for your suggestion.

Another alternative I guess would be to put the reverse gate in the forward position and then remove the stator drain and fill plugs one at a time and syphon the oil out but as we all know, its best to remove both units to ensure down the road they don't get stuck like they are.

Thx again

Bruce

The 4 bolts holding the nozzle are all that holds the nozzle in place (aside from cables). There are bolts UP thru the ride plate into the stator. They are about M8 flathead screws. There a 2 M6 screws UP thru the ride plate into the wear ring.

Hi Tim, thanks for the follow up .. I agree 100% that there are only 4 bolts holding the nozzle onto the stator other than the 2 cables. The challenge is that even with the 4 bolts removed, the nozzle is not moving an inch. The manuals etc mention to lightly tap it with a rubber mallet but that does not improve things. My guess is that it may have not ever been removed in the last 20 years, I checked the fluid level in the stator by simply removing one of the plugs and it is full and is the correct colour etc. so no real panic at this stage and the boat is now in winter storage.

It should just kind of fall away from the stator but my suspicion is that the sealant which was used has formed a rather tight fit and I don't want to damage anything by just hitting it with a 2 x 4 and a mallet but it may come to that. There a a couple of areas not to hit for sure, like around the mounting holes etc... just curious if anyone else has run into this and what worked best for them.

Again, thanks for the follow up ... really appreciate it.

Bruce

Hi Tim, thanks for the follow up .. I agree 100% that there are only 4 bolts holding the nozzle onto the stator other than the 2 cables. The challenge is that even with the 4 bolts removed, the nozzle is not moving an inch. The manuals etc mention to lightly tap it with a rubber mallet but that does not improve things. My guess is that it may have not ever been removed in the last 20 years, I checked the fluid level in the stator by simply removing one of the plugs and it is full and is the correct colour etc. so no real panic at this stage and the boat is now in winter storage.

It should just kind of fall away from the stator but my suspicion is that the sealant which was used has formed a rather tight fit and I don't want to damage anything by just hitting it with a 2 x 4 and a mallet but it may come to that. There a a couple of areas not to hit for sure, like around the mounting holes etc... just curious if anyone else has run into this and what worked best for them.

Again, thanks for the follow up ... really appreciate it.

Bruce

There is no need for any sealant between nozzle and stator, but there may be some.
Spray with your favorite penetrating oil where the 2 casting meet and in the for holes. Only as deep as the flange. This will help break any sealant bond.

Hi Tim, thanks for the suggestion about the penetrating oil, as you suggested, that may loosen things up just enough to remove it without being too aggressive with it.

Thx Again

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back