My2001 GTX RFI will only turn over while one spark plug is in...???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

March

Greetings to all as this is my first post with SEADOOFORUM.COM. I am a bit of a 2 stroke buff which started with Yamaha motorcycles.

Currently I have two SeaDoo's with one running great and the other one, not so great. Actually a friend gave it to me, it's a 2001 GTX RFI in mint condition but I had to rebuild the engine since the rotax seemed to be leaking oil into the engine. So after the rebuild I figured it would be a no brainer and it would start with ease.

Unfortunately the motor (787) will only turn over (still) while the spark plugs are out or if only one is in. It actually can run on either spark plug just won't turn over with both in. I tried three new starters, two voltage regulators, and three solenoids and it will only turn over with the plugs out or one of the two plugs in but not both.

I am open for any help, suggestions, or otherwise and would greatly appreciate any reply.
Thank you

Bad battery or cables. The additional compression of both cylinders is causing your issue.

And aftermarket starters are junk so be prepared for that.

Thanks mikidymac. I did hook up a 30amp then a 200amp charger to the battery and it reacted the same way. It clicks and turns about 20degrees each time I press start. My last starter was an SBT high torque. Still think it may be an aftermarket starter?

Lol, yes the SBT are not good.

Don’t ever try to boost or jump a Seadoo with anything but another battery or you risk frying the computer.

I had the exact same problem with an engine I rebuilt. 1997 GTX 787. It was my first one. Like you I did many things to try to figure this out. I would position the crank just past the compression stroke so the starter could turn it over. I placed a 1000CCA battery as a jumper to make sure I was getting power. I pulled the stater checked cables and all that stuff. Wanna know what the problem was? My brand new battery was BAD. And I found this out when I placed another battery in the ski and it spun over like a top. WOW what a RIDE !!

On starters..... If you can turn the engine over by hand... the starter should have NO problem. Is you ground connected, clean and secure? Swap the battery. By pass the solenoid hook some jumper cables directly on the stater. Good Luck !!

Dude.... I spent some time under the hood on that one. LOL You wonder if you did something wrong, can't find the problem and wonder even more if you did something wrong. It is a great victory when you finally find it. I always say "these skis are sneaky" they will mislead you and trick you. Kinda like keep both hands in your pockets holding onto your wallet. They will GET you.

Update...etemplet,
Bought a new 600 cca lithium battery, made sure it was fully charged and it started right up.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Great news. I didn't get ma lithium battery just a regular one. So funny. I had this battery 18" X 10" probably about 10" high connected to my little brand new 12volt AGM $100 battery through some pretty good jumper cables and Click.... urrrrrrmph. NOTHING !! I kept trying to figure out what I did the engine that could cause so much compression. :D Soon as I pulled the spark plugs... zoom. Install one spark plug.... zoom... two spark plugs..urrrrrumph... nothing. Glad you Got R Did !!

I got other weird stuff for later when you have problems. ENjoy the Weekend !!! Ride it like you stole it !!

So sorry I forgot to provide an update my GSX RFI.
Bought the new battery and low and behold...started woth no problem. Biggest problem was the cost ($250.00). I wanted a high CCA and the lithium is the only one I found that had it. I understand SeaDoos are critical when it come to batteries. My yamahas have about 120 pounds on each cylinder and the batteries work with no problem.
Just a SeaDoo thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back