My first PWC.. 1994 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMarlin

This is my first PWC, purchased last week. This was sold to me as a clean, good condition, running unit. I was told the carbs were rebuilt last season. I'm hoping it runs as advertised and I can get years of enjoyment out of it. I'm open to any tips and/or recommendations.

The exterior appears in good condition and has a newly reupholstered seat. I plan on cleaning it up some more, replacing the hand grips, and installing purple wishbone blacktip mats.

657x motor

There is a bolt missing from the exhaust on the lower right

It appears the steering cable(?) is split. Any recommendations?

The previous owner told me he had some of the fuel lines replaced at the dealer. There are still some gray lines in there. I'm not sure if there is a line missing here, either.

Congrats and welcome to the club! That ski looks nice! The main and reserve lines have been changed but not the vent or the return. I would not worry about the vent, but you may want to replace the return. I think the problem with the lines is only where they can react with the brass fitting, while having ethanol in the fuel. That line does not actually clamp to any brass, but I would still change it. Then get some Super Clean cleaner and wash the bilge out. It should clean up nicely. Then change out the oil in the jet pump. And read and read and read the forums! And ask questions if you get stuck. Also, download a manual off the internet. Have fun!!!

Also, I see snow. Do you know if it was winterized?

Thanks for the reply! I will order some new fuel line to replace the rest of it.

It is currently winterized by the previous owner.

Replace the steering cable on that. It is not that hard. Just disconnect it from the steering stem. Then disconnect it from the pump. Take the nut off from the inside of the hull just a few inches away from the split, then pull it through the hull. You will need to take off the hardware that is attached to the end of the cable for it to pass through the hole at the rear of the seadoo. Not a hard job at all. The most difficult part will be getting the nut off.

Hey I got your PM BlueMarlin. My buddy is selling a really clean all stock 95 XP with the 717 engine. It probably has less than 100 original hours or less, maybe even 60 hours or less. He's the original owner and it has NEVER sat outside over night and never rode in salt water. I have pics I'll PM you later, just not sure if it's in your budget.

Hey I got your PM BlueMarlin. My buddy is selling a really clean all stock 95 XP with the 717 engine. It probably has less than 100 original hours or less, maybe even 60 hours or less. He's the original owner and it has NEVER sat outside over night and never rode in salt water. I have pics I'll PM you later, just not sure if it's in your budget.
Let me know what he's asking and we'll take it from there. If I did purchase a 2nd one I would also have to buy a double trailer. All depending, I may wait until next year for a 2nd one and see how things go with this one first.

It's a shame the P.O didn't clean the bilge for you! I would def. stick it in the water and see how it goes. This can tell you loads of stuff that running it on the trailer won't. Come back and tell us how she ran, I'm willing to bet you won't like something/notice something and some of the more experienced members will get you running like a top, and just in time for warm weather

I am not familiar with the 657 engine, but for the older skis that I have there is active water flow thru the exhaust system and that missing bolt/nut/stud may allow water back into the engine .... if I am correct it would be critical to remove the header, replace the gasket and insure all connecting bolts/nuts are in place, torqued properly before allowing any water into the cooling system.

Someone familiar with this engine will confirm or correct me.

Ski does look very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back