My boat was fixed! Than it died? Now it sounds like a car trying to turn over?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are using the grease fitting as something to try and grab on to with the crescent. How the heck are you supposed to spin something with a round surface? Or are we...spinning at the wrong part?

Also note how my plugs look, if you think they require a high-res macro picture to be inspected closer let me know.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03822.flv

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03823.flv

If you do not have audio, I am saying look at how these one and a half week spark plugs look...and I cannot move the flywheel either or way, by hand or crescent (usng the grease fitting as something to grab on to with the flywheel)

Not sure how your boat is, i don't use any tool at all, I grab the white thing with the grease fittings on it with my hands. Thats what I meant "by hand".

I am able to turn the white thing counterclockwise all the way around without any tools as long as the plugs are out.

We are using the grease fitting as something to try and grab on to with the crescent. How the heck are you supposed to spin something with a round surface? Or are we...spinning at the wrong part?

Also note how my plugs look, if you think they require a high-res macro picture to be inspected closer let me know.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03822.flv

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03823.flv

If you do not have audio, I am saying look at how these one and a half week spark plugs look...and I cannot move the flywheel either or way, by hand or crescent (usng the grease fitting as something to grab on to with the flywheel)
You have your hand on the wrong part of the fly wheel put your hand on the big part of the fly wheel and it should turn easy. If it does not then I would remove the jet pump and try again. If it still does not turn remove head and look and see if a piston is siezed if pistons look good then you will have to remove engine and check back with us to see what to inspect first.:cheers:

We don't have the pump removed now....the pump is still on the boat.

We literally just have the spark plugs out.

Remove head...you mean the the white top with a bunch of bolts that look like they will never in a million years move?

Also I tried moving the driveshaft with a wrench (not a big one) and it wouldn't move. So the flywheel part with the grease fitting or the larger part...will not move.

I am finally learning how to read thise rivamotorsports schematics and I am learning what the heck I am grabbing on to.

it means your starter isn't going to be able to start the boat beacuse it can't spin it over - so we've likely ruled out the starter as the culprit. No you need to determine whether it is the engine or the pump (my guess is the pump since that was the last thing you(they) touched.

de-couple the pump from the engine (if that means pukking the pump then so be it), and then see if the engine will turn over. You will also be able to see if the pump will spin then.

The head bolts won't be difficult to remove even if they look like they will be - but be sure to torque them on properly afterwards, and I'm not familier enough with rotax engines to say that the head gaskets are good for a few removals or not, but Polaris's fuji engines are.

Alright I am trying to put the spark plugs back in the boat and the one towards the rear of the boat (like when I replaced them). Is not going in too easy, in fact trying to put the rear one back in I have to use a wrench right away.

Got to the point where I thought I was rethreading things. But the spark plug closer to the front of the boat I can just twist in by hand. I do not know if this indicates anything of significance but I thought I would post it.

Remove the pump from the engine..oh man that sounds fun. I need to search how to remove that. Or is that the 17 part instruction list that Seadoosnipe has?

I don't know what 17 part instruction list you are referring to, however, I'm not saying remove the engine (yet).

either the pump isn't letting the engine turn over when you hit the starter, or the pump (which is rigidly connected to the engine, jet boats are always "in gear", if the engine is running, the pump is pumping) is stuck and won't let the engine turn over - you need to ascertain whether it is the engine or the pump that is stopping you.

need to check the juice to the starter as well mine sounded like a car trying to start with the plugs in it ended up being the starter. it would however turn over with the starter as long as i had plugs out. so pull plugs and see how or if it turns over

Remove the pump from the engine..oh man that sounds fun. I need to search how to remove that. Or is that the 17 part instruction list that Seadoosnipe has?

You are on the right track, you need to separate the pump and the engine to make sure the engine is okay.

As for the spark plug going in with a wrench,it sounds cross-threaded and be very careful or you'll need a rethread insert type of thing...
They should both go in with no resistance.

If you want, shine a flashlight into the spark plug hole to be sure the piston isn't in the way of screwing in the plug.

I found a link to how to remove the jet pump, but I honestly think I am taking it to the mechanic now. My dad says we are getting in over our heads trying to remove the pump and we should let someone who knows what they are doing....do it.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=7556&highlight=remove+pump

It seems so easy though I want to try and do it myself.
If you are intrested in learning how to fix this boat your self I believe that you may save alot of money. You may make a mistake and mess some thing up but you will learn from it. If a mechanic makes a mistake he very well may pass the cost to you and you may never know it. The mechanic may have done somthing wrong when installing the impeller but that is not a fact. the pump is very easy to remove and it can save you money. the hose that was disconected may have been the problem. If you do most of the work your self you can save tons of money you will find help here, you may have to wait a litle while for a responce. but we will help you threw it. Even if you mess somthing up you will probly break out even or beter than if you took it to a dealer. this will only profit you if you do not mind learning. adventualy you will end up saving alot of money over time as you become more fimilar with your boat.
:cheers:

No, just clicks..no turning over. Flywheel will not move........

The first couple times on the water following after the boat had died it tried to turn over, but than eventually it started just clicking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pipe wrench!........

Well, there is a lot of good advice here, but there is a couple important things that weren't mentioned.

First, I told you that boat would haul butt if you gave it a chance!....110 hp of whoop butt!.....

Second, when you remove the plugs from the engine and the shaft cover on the back at the pto, you should be able to grab that shaft by your hand and turn it. If you have to turn it with a pipe wrench, you may have a bad bearing. If the engine is nice and smooth, the shaft will turn freely.

The battery. If you had a battery in it and went dead, you need to check the rectifier/regulator. Spin the shaft by hand, does it spin freely (no pipewrench)? If so, then put the battery back in. Now, put your plugs in and connect the battery to a set of jumper cables from your car. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE IN THE CAR. You can only jump from a battery that is not under charge from the engines alternator.

If the engine turns over and starts, remove the battery cables. Then, you'll need to check your battery with a multi tester. You should be getting 14 to 14.5 volts DC. If not, check the fuses. If they are good, replace the voltage regulator/rectifier.

I think it was Vilord who was touching base on the charging system. If the engine spins over easily, then the charging system should be your focus.

The voltage your reading really doesn't mean a thing, except it has 12 volts. Like Robin says, it's how many CCA (cold cranking amps) the battery stores to turn your motor over..........:cheers:

Did you take some time to pull the pump? It really isn't as complex as you might think, you just have to read through that part of the manual, you are looking at maybe an hour or two tops with help to remove the pump. It takes longer if you're working by yourself, but is still doable.

Did you take some time to pull the pump? It really isn't as complex as you might think, you just have to read through that part of the manual, you are looking at maybe an hour or two tops with help to remove the pump. It takes longer if you're working by yourself, but is still doable.
I can pull the pump off in 15 minutes I have only done it 2 times. the first time took 30 minutes as it was my first time and I was taking my time. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back