My 2018 Sea Doo Spark Partially Hydro Locked (Showed No Symptoms or Issues), Then Blew Rod Later!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

TheColonel90210

I bought a brand new, 2018 Sea Doo Spark, 2up, 90hp iBR to use at my lake home May thru September along with a PortaDock PWC lift to park it next to my dock. When I bought my new 2018 Spark in May of 2018, I also bought an extended warranty which was supposed*** to cover me from engine repair costs for 24 months (instead of just 12 months) with a $50 deductible. Hmmm.

I have had a certified auto and marine technician do oil and filter changes every spring and run anti freeze thru the system in the fall and store it inside.

Now we get to last month (May, 2020). A family member of mine capsized my Spark after paralleling some big waves from a wave boat and it partially hydro locked (no outward indication of a major issue other than the water supply hose disconnecting). After about 20 hours of use later... it blew a rod! The lead BRP technician at the BRP dealer that I bought my 2018 Spark from is balking at replacing the engine under my extended warranty and acts like I am asking him to give up his first born to even try to pursue it with them. :/

I also have the best PWC insurance that Foremost/Farmer Insurance offers. I have a feeling both Foremost/Farmers and BRP are going to point the finger at each other on this one. Anyone else in the same situation? I had no idea that the engineering on these PWCs was so lackluster... I REGRET buying now.

Oh... now for the best part. The cost of replacing my cracked engine? $7300! That’s more than I paid for it!!! And as far as getting a new 2020 Sea Doo Spark to replace my totaled 2018 Spark... no inventory will be available until September!

If Foremost/Farmers cover my claim... I am pretty sure I am going to just buy a used Yamaha and call it good. I am rating the engineering on the Sea Doo Spark as “Mickey Mouse” at best.

WARNING
When watercraft is capsized, do not attempt to restart the engine. Operator and passengers should always wear approved personal flotation devices.
CAUTION Heat
in the hull may become very hot. Avoid any contact with the heat ex- changer as burns may occur.
To turn the watercraft upright, ensure the engine is off and the tether cord is NOT on the engine cut-off switch. Then grab the inlet grate, step on a side bumper rail, and use your weight to rotate the watercraft towards you.
NOTE: A label on the stern near the flushing connector provides instruc- tions on how to turn the watercraft right side up. The label is upside down so that it can be read when the water- craft is overturned.
When the watercraft is returned to its normal operating position, the engine can be started normally.
NOTE: It is recommended to ride the vehicle for approximately 5 minutes with engine speed lower than 5000 RPM to evacuate any water that might have been accumulated in the bilge. Never exceed 5000 RPM. If not, water could get inside the engine.
NOTICE If the watercraft has been capsized for more than 5 minutes, do not attempt to crank the engine to avoid water ingestion that would damage the engine. See an autho- rized Sea-Doo dealer as soon as pos- sible.
NOTICE If the engine does not crank, do not attempt to start it any- more. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. See an authorized Sea-Doo dealer as soon as possi- ble.
As soon as possible, check for pres- ence of water in the bilge. Drain as necessary when back to the shore.
Submerged Watercraft
To limit damages to the engine, per- form the following procedure as soon as possible.
Drain bilge.
If it was submerged in salt water, spray bilge and all components with fresh water using a garden hose to stop the salt corroding effect.
NOTICE Never try to crank or start the engine. Water trapped in intake manifold would flow towards the engine and possibly cause severe engine damage.
Bring the watercraft to an authorized Sea-Doo dealer as soon as possible to have it serviced.
NOTICE The longer the delay be- fore you have the engine serviced, the greater the damage to the en- gine will be.
Water-Flooded Engine
NOTICE Never try to crank or start the engine. Water trapped in intake manifold would flow towards the engine and possibly cause severe engine damage.
exchanger

The key here is the 5 minute rule, if it was capsized for more than 5 minutes it is classified submerged and should not be restarted and taken immediately to a Sea-Doo authorized dealer to remove the water ingestion.

Page 81 of your your operators guide.

This and the towing speed. A capsized Sea-Doo or broken should never be towed at more than a certain speed. Was your towed? At more than 13 mph (as per my 2018 model), your engine my have been filled with water. I saw someone towing another Sea-Doo a few days ago and they were going much faster than that. I told myself: another Sea-Doo gone.

I bought a brand new, 2018 Sea Doo Spark, 2up, 90hp iBR to use at my lake home May thru September along with a PortaDock PWC lift to park it next to my dock. When I bought my new 2018 Spark in May of 2018, I also bought an extended warranty which was supposed*** to cover me from engine repair costs for 24 months (instead of just 12 months) with a $50 deductible. Hmmm.

I have had a certified auto and marine technician do oil and filter changes every spring and run anti freeze thru the system in the fall and store it inside.

Now we get to last month (May, 2020). A family member of mine capsized my Spark after paralleling some big waves from a wave boat and it partially hydro locked (no outward indication of a major issue other than the water supply hose disconnecting). After about 20 hours of use later... it blew a rod! The lead BRP technician at the BRP dealer that I bought my 2018 Spark from is balking at replacing the engine under my extended warranty and acts like I am asking him to give up his first born to even try to pursue it with them. :/

I also have the best PWC insurance that Foremost/Farmer Insurance offers. I have a feeling both Foremost/Farmers and BRP are going to point the finger at each other on this one. Anyone else in the same situation? I had no idea that the engineering on these PWCs was so lackluster... I REGRET buying now.

Oh... now for the best part. The cost of replacing my cracked engine? $7300! That’s more than I paid for it!!! And as far as getting a new 2020 Sea Doo Spark to replace my totaled 2018 Spark... no inventory will be available until September!

If Foremost/Farmers cover my claim... I am pretty sure I am going to just buy a used Yamaha and call it good. I am rating the engineering on the Sea Doo Spark as “Mickey Mouse” at best.
MY MY....you state ->"it partially hydro locked"....yet you continued to use the ski for an additional 20 hours, and you are now calling the SeaDoo engineering "Mickey Mouse"......MY MY MY.

Sorry bud, but Mickey Mouse is looking back at YOU in the mirror....I'm thinking you busticated that ski by not taking better care of it and you are NOW trying to pawn off the responsibility onto SeaDoo/Foremost/Farmer......you abused and neglected that ski....you own that shizznit IMHO.

I've flipped my trixx at least 6 or 7 times. every time I get it right side up and let it sit for a few minutes- then start it and monitor it for another few minutes. have never had an issue.

Back