My 2004 Speedster 200 Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with the new kicker subs and infinity speakers and 2 tower speakers for now. I can always add 2 more later.

Well I brought the boat home from storage...mainly because the place i store it has been sold. I gotta do some work on it then find somewhere else to store it. Last time I had it out, I went through some really bad debris. I knew it probably wreaked havoc on the rings and impellers. So i decided to crawl under it real quick. Its not pretty. The rings and impellers don't worry me, thats expected. I found the right side intake grate hanging loose. It looks like the end of the cable snapped off. If you look on the parts diagram, it lists the end of the cable as a "joint" So I'm wondering if anybody has had an experience dealing with these cable ends. Looking at the good side, i don't see how that joint attaches to the end. I don't really feel like replacing the entire $200 cable. That looks like a PITA. So I am weighing my options. The port side grate also looks like some of the tines are bent...what options are out there for new grates? It looked like the bolts for the mounting bracket go through the hull and you would need to lift the engines to get to them...dont feel like doing that either, so all of this looks like it is going to suck. Here are some lousy pics i tried to take with my phone wedged under the boat.

End of the cable dangling free.

Port side...got a nice stick left over.

Bent grate

dammm looks almost as bad as mine was, I bet you have a big job coming up with that rusty drive shaft and all. Your boat came from salt water too right- down in the gulf ??? Depending what you plan to fix, you better start now, it will be a straight headache until you get all the old crap removed. The re-install is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got it all done. $800 bucks later and i should be good to go. Im at work today so i don't have pics. I pulled both pumps, both had some crappy rtv sealing them on. Im pretty sure there was air being sucked in there. Both shafts cleaned up nice, mostly just surface rust so i opted not to swap them out. The port side had a crack in one of the nozzles and it had a bolt stripped. So i replaced both wear rings, swapped SBT impellers. new port side nozzle. Instead of replacing that intake grate cable, i had a local shop tack weld the connection back to the metal shaft from the cable. Also replaced both fittings where those cables pass through the boat. Also found water leaking in form the scupper valve. Got it all sealed up and i think everything should be good for now. Hoping to get it out sometime next weekend.

Did you replace the carbon rings and hats? Sounds like you should be good to go. I finally got the exhaust back in mine for the 3rd time- found the leak in the far corner outlet.

No they actually looked ok, found lots of other places water was coming in, so i left em for now.

Well I brought the boat home from storage...mainly because the place i store it has been sold. I gotta do some work on it then find somewhere else to store it. Last time I had it out, I went through some really bad debris. I knew it probably wreaked havoc on the rings and impellers. So i decided to crawl under it real quick. Its not pretty. The rings and impellers don't worry me, thats expected. I found the right side intake grate hanging loose. It looks like the end of the cable snapped off. If you look on the parts diagram, it lists the end of the cable as a "joint" So I'm wondering if anybody has had an experience dealing with these cable ends. Looking at the good side, i don't see how that joint attaches to the end. I don't really feel like replacing the entire $200 cable. That looks like a PITA. So I am weighing my options. The port side grate also looks like some of the tines are bent...what options are out there for new grates? It looked like the bolts for the mounting bracket go through the hull and you would need to lift the engines to get to them...dont feel like doing that either, so all of this looks like it is going to suck. Here are some lousy pics i tried to take with my phone wedged under the boat.

End of the cable dangling free.

Port side...got a nice stick left over.

Bent grate

What did you end up doing with your grates? I have a similar situation. When I took my boat out this past weekend I sucked up some junk. When I took it out to remove the debris one of my grates was gone and my cable that was connected to it was bent just like yours in the picture. I am considering putting in fixed grates as the mobile grates didn't ever help me anyway. If I do fixed grates I will have to connect them to the ride plates I think. How hard was it to get to the grate nuts under the engine? Thanks for all of the posts, they are really helpful!!

my 200 was always full of water when docked overnight. I finally realized there is 2 drain holes in a cavity (body mold) on swim.platform. on a slightly choppy day the waves go up and onto platform filling this bucket then it drains so the water doesn't stay in that scoop they have made. all draining directly into engime compartment. I plugged those drain holes... no more issues !!! also docked boat into the wind solved it as well.
hope this helps. Cheers!

I am looking to add a 2nd battery to my speedster 200 (2005). I am looking at the space under the switch. It almost looks like it was meant for it as the raised ridges line up perfectly with the holes on the tray. Thoughts?

I actually bought the blue seas add a battery kit with charger. The switch didn't fit, so I modded the 2112A housing. I basically cut a circle out of the bottom of a protein powder jug and made an adapter.

Attachments

• 20190307_073941.jpg
    20190307_073941.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 20190307_073931.jpg
    20190307_073931.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20190307_170300.jpg
    20190307_170300.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
I know this is an old post and that you sold your Speedster 200, but I had a question about your second battery location. I’m trying to figure out where to mount mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back