Multiple Types of Stains on GTI Seats, (Before & After Pics)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamathumper

Good day everyone! I've got some interesting stains and so far they're resisting whatever I've got in the cleaning cabinet.

My blue/green seat was the typical mildewy mess, but it came out just fine after a spray-and-wait with Home Armor.

My silver/white/orange seat is a wreck, though, and it has several kinds of stains on top and maybe under the vinyl (I see dark mottled patches). I've scrubbed and scrubbed, soaked, and tried four different cleaners on it, but it still looks pretty bad.

Here it is "before":

seadoo_132756.jpg
seadoo_132802.jpg

And here it is "After":

seadoo_100110.jpg
seadoo_100106.jpg
seadoo_100115.jpg

As you can see, there's still a pink stain (one on both sides) that might be from a reaction to the cover (it's an aftermarket cover, but it's all black and silver like the OEM one), then there's a rust-colored stain that might be a different kind of mildew, and then there's a dark mottling all over under the white and silver vinyl, and along the stitches in the back where it's orange.

Here are the four cleaners I've tried so far. By far the best result was with the Home Armor overall, and with the LA's Totally Awesome cleaner on the rust-colored stain. Nothing seems to have touched the pink colored stain, and the mildew on the passenger strap is also very resistant. Any other options? (I read all the threads I could find, and I'll try lighter fluid next if I can find some.) Thank you in advance!

seadoo_100126.jpg

Attachments

• seadoo_132740.jpg
    seadoo_132740.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 17
  • seadoo_132744.jpg
    seadoo_132744.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 18
  • seadoo_100101.jpg
    seadoo_100101.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 19
I picked up some Simple Green and some Magic Erasers yesterday - I'll give those a shot today unless somebody has a better idea.

This is a known issue with the seats. Search previous posts where I discussed this. If under warranty, BRP will replace seats. The pink spots are coming from the inside out so no cleaner will remove them. They will get worse in time. Some have tried white dye and it helps but the only real solution is to replace the vinyl.

Just used Star brite mold and stain remover. Fantastic results. Spray, wait and wipe. It does an awesome job. I have a slight pink stain on my cobalt vinyl. I haven't tried Star brite yet, but I will.

As Peterc4 said and the article he shared is accurate. Pink is a loss, even if you're lucky enough to make it go away it won't have, it will be back in no time. The black mold can be somewhat bleached out with any oxi type product but the problem is attacking it from the outside is almost as useless as trying to get rid of pink. Black mold will be in the foam, the fabric liner on the back of the vinyl and the body of the vinyl itself. It's spore based so if the spores are not destroyed, it's back again. Marine vinyl is meant to be for the most part waterproof with a sealed surface so any treatment you use does not get to the 'root' of the issue.

THe real down side? A seadoo seat is molded and glued to the foam. On a normal boat if you un-staple the upholstery, treat the foam, the back side of the vinyl and let the treatment soak, you'll have excellent success, can't do that on a seadoo seat.

They're not really 'replacement' seat covers. SeaDoo upholstery is bonded to the foam and molded to the shape. The aftermarket covers are just that, covers, they stretch over the original seat and the existing vinyl and get stapled underneath. They look pretty good, but the colour is never the same as original, they'll pucker in spots and they won't have BRP or SeaDoo logos embossed in them etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back