much smoke, no port exhaust, 2 plugs dead.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had an excessive smoke issue or some time, specifically starboard side. I replaced the spark plugs and port side temp sensor, no change. I tried the boat this weekend and noticed that port side exhaust has no heat, just some slight moisture spiting. After reading some posts, and doing some searching, I got an inline spark detector. I found that the top spark plug on each side has no spark. No current is going to the plug. I need advice instead of buying a trigger, ignition controller, CDM Module assembles for $1300.

Thank you all,
Scott

Has this boat ever run proper for you? When last?
Did you test all spark plugs? Only #1 and #2 (tops one each side) are out?
Do you have the factory service manual? It has detailed steps on how to test the stator, the trigger, and the CDMs.

I had a bad trigger. My #1 and #4 cylinders would drop spark above ~2400 rpms. They both use the same pickup in the trigger (3 pickups each trigger a pair of cylinders). New trigger fixed my issue.

But the CDMs also ground themselves through each other. So 1 bad CDM can affect another one from sparking. The service manual details this... pretty technical.

I'd get the manual and start troubleshooting before loading the parts cannon.

Cheers!

HI RIPCUDA,
Yes, it ran fine for years. I started having issues about 18 months ago and it has progressively gotten worse.
It started as an issue where I would be cruising along and it would just die (somewhere in the upper 4 RPM range) then it would start back up with no issue run for a while and die again. It doesn.t do that anymore. I started adding fuel injector cleaner all the time and it seem to buy me some time. Now to get it to start I have to turn the wheel hard and use the steering assist to get it to start.
I have a manual, I'll see if I can find it. half the time I don't get what its asking me to do.

Yes, tested all 6, only 1 & 2 are dead at idle.

It started as an issue where I would be cruising along and it would just die, then start back up with no issue.

Thank you for the input.

Has this boat ever run proper for you? When last?
Did you test all spark plugs? Only #1 and #2 (tops one each side) are out?
Do you have the factory service manual? It has detailed steps on how to test the stator, the trigger, and the CDMs.

I had a bad trigger. My #1 and #4 cylinders would drop spark above ~2400 rpms. They both use the same pickup in the trigger (3 pickups each trigger a pair of cylinders). New trigger fixed my issue.

But the CDMs also ground themselves through each other. So 1 bad CDM can affect another one from sparking. The service manual details this... pretty technical.

I'd get the manual and start troubleshooting before loading the parts cannon.

Cheers!

The trigger can checked by unplugging the connector coming out from under the flywheel,starboard side. 6 wires. 3 pairs. I don't remember the spec. But the 3 pair should be very close to the same.

I would test the two bad CDMs per service manual. If they test okay... try swapping them with two others (like #3 & #4). Then see if the failure follows the specific CDMs... or stays at the #1 & #2 position. This could help narrow down CDM vs wiring/grounds vs trigger issues.CDM-resistance-check.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back