Motor Surging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
they sell aftermarket idle bypass valves on eBay for $30. It may be worth trying that before spending $200+ on oem. i'm getting a surge at idle so i'm going to give that a shot and see if there's any improvement.

Really? I'm curious. Please update with the results. I bet the off-brand ones would work just fine. They've been making these stepper motors for decades, it's really not that complex a device, and shouldn't cost $200.

i thought this idle valve would of been a quick, easy bolt on and go replacement, but according to the manual it would need to be brought to the dealer to have the computer/tps reset. You would think these things would be capable of resetting themselves

SeaDoo dealers only sell and work on jet skis. Most dealers will not work on boats. The SeaDoo Dealer in Brooksville, FL will not work on SeaDoo Boats and don't have the computer software that is needed..

yup, that is correct. If you mess with anything on the throttle assembly there is a whole reset procedure that must be followed. You can take it to the dealer, or you can buy yourself a candoo pro for about $400 and do it yourself. Does everything the dealer BUDS system can do. Seems like a lot of money but if you ever have check engine codes or any other engine management issue it usually pays for itself considering what the dealers charge per hourly rate.

Don't own one myself yet, but it will be the first purchase when/if I ever have any engine trouble.

True about finding dealers to work on boats, closest one to me in Michigan only works on ski's. Have to travel an extra hour for a dealer that will even touch the boats. I'm sure this will get worse as the years tick on.

Damn, there was a guy at the seadoo meet up last year with a Candoo, could have got him to do it for me. Those things are a scam as they only work with one ski or a few skis...

Damn, there was a guy at the seadoo meet up last year with a Candoo, could have got him to do it for me. Those things are a scam as they only work with one ski or a few skis...

For $400 you get the hardware, software and 4 licenses (HIN #s). You can purchase an unlimited license for a price. Unless the guy at the meet up had unlimited licenses, I doubt he would have worked on your boat for free. Each additional license is $100. As for being a scam, I disagree. $400 for a "tool" that can do so much for your boat is pretty cheap in my book. Especially when you factor in how much it will save you in both time and money by not having to rely on the dealer to do the same work at their shop.

I agree 400 isn't bad given dealer prices or the price of a buds system. We also give 10% off candoopro.

400 is a decent chunk of money but not too bad. The dealer wanted to charge me $40 just to reset a maintenance light on my RXP. I believe a Candoo is a good tool to have for the DIYer's especially on a twin engine 4tec jetboat.

For $400 you get the hardware, software and 4 licenses (HIN #s). You can purchase an unlimited license for a price. Unless the guy at the meet up had unlimited licenses, I doubt he would have worked on your boat for free. Each additional license is $100. As for being a scam, I disagree. $400 for a "tool" that can do so much for your boat is pretty cheap in my book. Especially when you factor in how much it will save you in both time and money by not having to rely on the dealer to do the same work at their shop.

My understanding is that a candoo just reads codes, reads current values, and resets maint interval and throttle body stuff. That's not very much for $400, mainly considering that you get just 4 licenses. Also, there is no guarantee that it'll work with future generation boats. Also, does it work with 2strokes to program keys? does that count as a license too?

My understanding is that a candoo just reads codes, reads current values, and resets maint interval and throttle body stuff. That's not very much for $400, mainly considering that you get just 4 licenses. Also, there is no guarantee that it'll work with future generation boats. Also, does it work with 2strokes to program keys? does that count as a license too?

yes keys for 2strokers as well. learner keys, new keys, occurred and current faults, tps reset etc. plus a good forum which help on difficult faults
well worth the cost......
especially for pre 06 with analog display

i'm new to seadoo's so i may be wrong here, but...if your getting an engine surge like many in this thread seem to be, but were not getting any check engine lights, then the candoo will be useless to diagnose this surge, correct? Not to say it won't be good to have for other issues..but, in this scenerio it seems like a guessing game

Well, it may just be that I need to reset my TPS, or whatever other components need resetting in the throttle body. I did put this engine into a boat. It used to be in an 04 GTX, now it's in a '97 Challenger. That being said, all the electronics, save the rectifier, are the same (this problem preceeded the new/improved rectifier).

I'm about to purchase an RXP, but am not sure that it'll be the right jet ski for us. So we may ditch that and get an RXT. That, together with my boat = 3 Candoo licenses used already. And if my 2 stroke requires a license, then I'm tapped out. $400 is just too much for such limited usability.

i'm new to seadoo's so i may be wrong here, but...if your getting an engine surge like many in this thread seem to be, but were not getting any check engine lights, then the candoo will be useless to diagnose this surge, correct? Not to say it won't be good to have for other issues..but, in this scenerio it seems like a guessing game

correct....
but useful if you service your boat yourself. don't forget some fault occur but dont stay current until next occurrence. if you pull the lanyard, the fault does not show unless you use either a candoo or seadoo dealer.

i maybe wrong, but i havent read any post that who ever purchased a candoo hasn't saved money or regretted the purchase.

Well, it may just be that I need to reset my TPS, or whatever other components need resetting in the throttle body. I did put this engine into a boat. It used to be in an 04 GTX, now it's in a '97 Challenger. That being said, all the electronics, save the rectifier, are the same (this problem preceeded the new/improved rectifier).

I'm about to purchase an RXP, but am not sure that it'll be the right jet ski for us. So we may ditch that and get an RXT. That, together with my boat = 3 Candoo licenses used already. And if my 2 stroke requires a license, then I'm tapped out. $400 is just too much for such limited usability.

thats a limited view.....
but your entitled to it.
you can buy an extra license or go unlimited

Has anyone tried replacing their MAP sensor? after much reading, it looks like the MAP and the TPS would be solid candidates for these issues. That is, if your fuel rail/ injectors are good

Any updates with you guys?

Interestingly, I have a 2002 4tec 155 N/A GTX ski. Bought it with 40 hours. Now it has 90. The idle has always hunted & drives me crazy. tried all the usual things, but just lived with it. once it's under power and over 3000 RPM's its smooth, but at idle I can hear & see the tach move.

So Recently, I bought a project ski that is the exact same machine. I figured now I can can finally figure out this hunting idle, because I have every part I can try. Well, no luck. I swapped everything, one part at a time. coils, map, IAC, CPS, throttle body, ECM, everything but the internal mag & CPS.
Absolutely no change.

I would like to say "its just how these run" But, that seems like it should be unacceptable for a modern day 4 stroke EFI engine. I also have a 2008 255hp SC, IC 4tec & it runs smooth as butter.

I don't know what gives with the hunting idle on these 155's but I don't like it at all & don;t know why some people say its normal. The camshaft is about 1 degree retarded & thought about advancing it, but really don't want to bump the compression any higher. It starts hard enough when its hot. Don't need to add more compression to the equation.

It's kinda funny that with all these boats out there for as many years as they've been around, no one can figure this surging thing out. Mine doesn't straighten out until after about 5k.

It's kinda funny that with all these boats out there for as many years as they've been around, no one can figure this surging thing out. Mine doesn't straighten out until after about 5k.

Does yours miss at all, or just a semi smooth surge. I might take mine down to the water today & I'll make some video clips if I can. I am tempted to use up one of my candoo licenses to see if the IAC position is constantly changing, either causing it, or trying to compensate & correct things, but the candoo isn't going to tell me that. It acts like a vacuum leak, but I sprayed carb cleaner around the seams of the intake with no change. I do have another intake I can try, but I really don't think its a vacuum leak.

If I had bought one of these machines brand new & it surged like this, I would have brought it back in after the first time out. No, its not terrible, it doesn't stall out, or give the feeling its about to leave you stranded, but its bad enough to seem like something isn't quite right. Just hard to fathom they left the docks like this when brand new & if they didn't, it should be correctible.

Smooth surge. Almost like you're moving the throttle back and forth. Never really looked into it. Was wondering if there was a slack part in the linkage. I guess the only real way to check it to open it up, go slow and see if anything is oscillating around in the linkage at the TB.

does it happen at idle too? If so, I am guessing you have the same problem as the rest. But that is what it feels like, similar to the throttle being tweaked held inconsistently.

What was the problem?
Noone knows. Nobody has been able to figure it out. The ones that have, their issues are different from other people's issues. Some guys have vacuum leaks, fix it and boats stops surging, some guys have a bad coil. Doesn't seem like this is caused by just one thing, but can have a number of different culprits.

As for the Cadoo, I stand firm on the notion that it's a ripoff. An OBD scanner for a car can be had for like $30 and do what the candoo does. Even the super powerful VW connectors that can diagnose, enable/disable and tune all sorts of functionality in a huge number of vehicles costs $350, and you can use it on more than just 4 different cars, AND that company even has a tech-support line. Seadoo uses some special engine management protocol, and is in an unregulated industry. That's why there is such a small selection of scan tool providers for it. Candoo pretty much has a monopoly, and they know it, and since the shops charge such exorbitant prices, Candoo gets away with it. There is not enough competition in this market space, and I sincerely hope someone out there devises an alternative. Or at least some Russians hack it and give it to us for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back