Model recommendations

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are very reliable with the 650 or 701 and don't use a lot of fuel but they are really uncomfortable since the seat is low and your knees bent. It's a horrible seating position but they are bulletproof.

After riding the GTX and cruising for a while it was nice that i stayed dry, but then really starting pushing it and spinning it out, and diving the nose a bit was fun and wet. I enjoy the water and if I am keeping the GTX, which i think fits most of my needs nicely now I wouldn't mind something a bit more fun and wet. I have a 25' triton with a 250 Yamaha VMAX SHO that will run mid 40s with the family on board. We use it to cruise with friends and also tube and kneeboard. I added a wakeboard tower and I just started wake boarding last year, no flips or jumps i just like cruising over glass water. I did take a nasty fall last year while trying to wake surf and tore my hamstring muscle and then ripped it away from the bone. So I still have a few months before I am back on a board. BUT I started thinking about a standup ski. And maybe even be able to carry it on the back of the 'toon. Anyways i like to dream I guess but then i ran across a Seadoo 3D... what are these things?

The 3D is basically a 1997+ Seadoo XP hull with a different top deck. They are actually pretty fun. Keep in mind they came with the 787 RFi engine and the 951 DI engine so they run good when they do but can be harder to diagnose when they don't.

I like the XP and it is kinda on my watch list but I keep hearing how tippy they are sitting still. Worried about taking dunk at the dock.....

If you don't mind me asking Ken are you a larger or smaller guy? I think it has a great deal to do with balance and skill also.

I have a 96 XP, 2001 XP and an HX, I am 6'3" tall and 200 lbs and can ride all of them with no issues and my 9 yo son rides on the XP's with me and no issues staying upright or on the skis. Some of my friends can't even get on the HX and my wife rides the XP's but says they are a little to tippy for her liking.

I honestly think it’s overblown how “tippy” the XP hulls are. I have two X4’s, and have had novice riders on them quite a bit. I’ve never had anyone fall off at the dock, and the only time I even notice the instability is when I’ve got one of the kids on the ski with me and they’re trying to move around while we’re idling. Even then, the only time we come close to actually falling off is if we catch a big wake while just floating.

The biggest issue with the XP’s for a novice rider in my opinion, is that is does take some practice to climb back on one in deep water.

I have a few friends that have flipped XP’s at the dock. Definitely beginners but as soon as they got on a GSX they absolutely loved it.

I have a few friends that have flipped XP’s at the dock. Definitely beginners but as soon as they got on a GSX they absolutely loved it.

I can definitely see how it happens, but it’s not nearly as big an issue as it’s made out to be in internet land...

I have a 96 gsx, a 96 xp and a 2000 gtx. The wife loves the gtx, but it does use the fuel. The xp has a very small tank and if you ride like me, you will hit reserve in an hour. The gsx, is in my opinion, a great all around ski. Nice fuel capacity, great jumping, quick take offs, vts, and stay dry or get splashed. Easy to board when you take a dunk and keeps up with my wife's ski(she only runs half to 3/4 throttle). It's very agile and a breeze to maintain.
I would call it tippy if you have a bigger person on the back, but I'm 145 and it's stable with me only. I did dunk it a couple of times in destin last week, but the rider was a novice.
The gtx is a big ski. The larger the ski, the more fuel capacity and the more weight it can hold. See if you can find someone in your are to try out the smaller ski. Never know.

I am 6'3 230, so a large-r fella. And to be honest I did flip the GTX on my first time out, but what had happened was..... went to fast into a small bayou, got off the throttle and turned 90* to the wake and over we went, myself and my son. Took me by surprise but since then this thing has been solid. As with anything its a learning curve. I still think I would like to try a standup. I like the "idea" of the 3d although i guess its not a true stand up, but i don't care for the DI. I found one close to me with "only" 19hrs but has issues. Runs on trailer and bogs in the water. Seller said dealership said it was a fuel pump but wouldn't touch a 2stroke. Im sure more is wrong but asking 1500 which i thought was way to much.

Mikidymac.... how do you like your HX?

I really wanted an HX as I had loved them since the 90's but never got a chance to ride one. So I bought a junk one for $250 and restored it to like new without ever riding one. Now that I have had it for a couple seasons now I like it but it is really a one trick pony. Not everyone can get on one as it is the most unstable ski I have ever owned. It turns really well like it is on rails and you can drag your body inside a turn, it is one of the few inside lean skis out there. Top speed isn't bad at about 45-48 mph but railing around turns is where it is the most fun. It really doesn't jump as it just cuts through the water, if you are tall your legs and knees will be barking because the seat is so low and you bend your legs behind you. If you just want to go have fun and be silly stupid it can get a little boring, for that I like my 96' XP much better.

As I keep narrowing it down it looks like the XP is gaining more ground in my searches. Kinda like the ones with the 951 in them but trying to learn about them before i jump and find one.

The X4’s and the newer style XP’s have completely different riding styles and personalities, so do some research before pulling the trigger on one over the other...

The 95 Xp 800, 1996 XP, 1997-1999 SPX are known as the X4, all are basically the smaller 2 seater hull with the 787 engine. They are small, maneuverable and powerful, basically a blast to ride. From jumping wakes to going around buoys to just being stupid they are a ton of fun and relatively cheap. The only downside is they are a little cramped, beat you up in rough water and a small 10 gallon tank.

The 1997-2004 XP is completely different due to the hull. It is fast, very smooth in rough water, comfortable with the spring in the seat and fast. It has a larger fuel tank, turns hard with an inside lean but is not as light and playful as the X4. The 1997 has the 787 which is a little slower but more reliable than the 951. 1998-2002 all had the carbed 951. 2003-2004 have the direct fuel injected 951.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back