Model recommendations

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enjoying working on my 97 GTX but I can see me wanting another ski. I am 6'3 240, so not little fella and don't want something extremely tippy. Also looking for decent fuel range to be able to ride and explore. I don't have the options of fueling at marinas where I ride so fuel capacity is a premium to keep me out on the water. With that being said is there something that would fit my requirements better than the GTX ?

The GTX is probably the ski for you as long as you want to stay with the 2-strokes.
The 4-strokes will have better range and fuel economy but come with a much higher price tag.

Im enjoying wrenching on the 2 strokes so I'll stay with them for a while. I guess I'll keep an eye out for anything else then. Maybe a good deal will come along. I was hoping there was something more along the lines of a 2seater that would have the fuel capacity of the GTX.

You could look at the RX, it was the largest 2-seater 2-stroke seadoo made and even has reverse.

Im enjoying wrenching on the 2 strokes so I'll stay with them for a while. I guess I'll keep an eye out for anything else then. Maybe a good deal will come along. I was hoping there was something more along the lines of a 2seater that would have the fuel capacity of the GTX.

I have a 97' GTX, if you want the same 787 carbed engine and 15 gal tank in a 2 seater version, minus reverse gate take a look at the 96' - 97' GSX. It's a little shorter (-18") and not as stable, but not like an X4 hull. It's a fun ski and handles the chop well, has VTS and is plenty fast enough and agile with the 787. I hear in the day they were good racing endurance skis, because of the largest tank in a 2 stroke at that time and fairly light at 500 lbs.

I picked up the blue 96' GSX to compliment the 97' GTX. Love this ski, just recently finished it, but I tend to let my 18 yr ride it while I take the GTX.20190518_123842.jpg20190602_112524.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking for an extended range tank for my machines and have not found a good solution yet. Since utility is more important than looks, some times, I added two loops to the bumper of my DOO. Two small stainless u bolts outside of the foot well an inch towards the rear from the ski rope loop. I set two five gallon jugs in the rear of the foot wells and rope them in. I would tuck them under the front hood but I don't want a cheap jug leaking into the hull and making a bomb.

I would jump at the chance to get a fitted tank with another 10 gallons in trade for my front cargo area, but the only way is up and I'm not sure if the extra head pressure would defeat the needle and seat in the carb and flood the motor.

. I set two five gallon jugs in the rear of the foot wells and rope them in. I would tuck them under the front hood but I don't want a cheap jug leaking into the hull and making a bomb.
Some days I would rondevue with my buddy and have it be in the water while I load up the skis in under 2 minutes, the shell is right next to the ramp so <10 minutes to fuel up with me in the bed LOL.

Or I store gas in the back of the pontoon.

Surprised how much range i get on these things, tank is 12 gallons (kawasaki)

Or I just be a sucker and pay marina prices (4 bucks for 87 100% gas)

+1 on the GSX. They are smaller, more nimble, and faster than the GTX, but still have a decent sized fuel tank. I don’t think they are tippy at all, but then I have a couple of X-4’s, so most skis feel stable to me...

I never cared for the GSX but a lot of people love them.

The GSX, GSI, GS, GTX, GTI and RX all have a 15 gallon fuel tank and there are not larger ones available.

If you want the most fuel range then you want something with a 720, not a 787 or 951. If you like the GTX and are happy with the hull get a GTI and you will go from using 11.7 gallons per hour at WOT in the GTX to using 8.8 gallons in the GTI.

If you want something a little more playful then look at the GS or GSI, its basically a GSX with a 720 engine.

Are the 4strokes as easy to wrench on as the 2 strokes? I read another comment that the spark gets like 2.8gph wot? That would make me look at them or at least some older 4 strokes if the tanks were as large and as easy to wrench on.

The 4-strokes are going to have better range and fuel economy but a higher buy in price. And the 4-strokes are much more expensive to repair.

For your size I don't think you would like a spark especially for long range cruising, they aren't very comfortable for that.

The 4-strokes are going to have better range and fuel economy but a higher buy in price. And the 4-strokes are much more expensive to repair.
comfortable for that.
Also heard that the spark had issues with heat soaking, unless they mended that issue in updated models.

For cruising on a new ski, the GTI is pretty efficient too, but you’re looking at even more than a spark then...

Are the 4strokes as easy to wrench on as the 2 strokes? I read another comment that the spark gets like 2.8gph wot? That would make me look at them or at least some older 4 strokes if the tanks were as large and as easy to wrench on.

Last year I struck a conversion up with someone that made a compliment about my old fixed up 97' GTX as I pulling up to the dock. I told him that I bought the ski very cheap a year prior but spent well over a couple thousand getting it to the condition it was in to be reliable and look good. He went on to say that his current ski, a fairly older 4 stroke was in the shop again for major repairs, and said over the last 8 yrs he's had 2 engine replacements done at about $3200 each time, and feared he was about to face the same situation again. He said he'll cut his losses and quit all together owning one, replying it's just too expensive and he can't work on them because he doesn't have the tools, equipment and know how.

The 4 strokes are far more complex and expensive to work on, we're talking 4 cylinders compared to 2, a valve train, oil pump, closed cooling systems, some have super chargers, and electronics dependent on equipment from the dealer. The average core swap engine for a 4 stroke is around $3K, not including labor if you pay someone to put it in. A 2 stroke engine replacement is at least half that. Sink a 2 stroke you can likely recover it and at worst rebuild it fairly cheap, a 4 stroke? call the insurance company...

I'll put up with the crappy gal mileage of a 2 stroke for the ease and low expense of maintaining over a 4 stroke any day. You guys complaining of fuel/distance not being enough must be going a hell of a ways to be concerned with fuel. I can ride for several hours on a 15 gallon tank on the GTX or GSX before fuel even becomes a concern, by that time my ass is sore and I need a break. Usually that's enough for me and I go in and might go out later in the day, which I might fuel back up if I'm down to 1/3 a tank or less.

That price difference will most likely keep me in the 2 stroke world. As far as distance, Im riding on bayous and rivers mostly. My ride the other day took me out for about 1.5-2hr and I was down to half a tank and still only covered about 1/4 of the area I would normally ride when on my boat. Coming from riding dirt bikes and atvs off road all day long the seed is a comfy ride. I love finding flat water that reflects the sky like a mirror and just cruise along. I'll just have to change my mind set when out on the seadoo when it comes to range.

I know this may be sacrilege but are there other brands with models that are worth looking at? I have only owned this one GTX but have owned bikes and atvs from most of all the metric brands. With my limited knowledge it does seem Seadoo has a better market for these 2 stroke machines.

its funny, i found a post on another forum asking the same basic question from a few years back. After a few years he answered his own question after owning a few different makes was that seed was the optimal choice. Anything with a 717/787 as parts are available and the ease to work on...SO i guess my search stays the course.

As far as I know the GTI was never a DI. They did make the GTI RFI that was an fuel injected 787.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back