Missing Intake Grate - w/ Pics

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffer

Recently purchased a 1999 GTX Limited and had it on the water for the first time yesterday. I can see how people get hooked on these things! Unfortunately, I found out that the intake grate is missing. It seemed to perform just fine - but I am new to the PWC world and may be missing something. I know there are a few threads on this topic but the info I am looking for seems kind of spread around.

1. How important is the intake grate?
2. Safe to operate without?
3. Will performance be better or worse if installed?
4. Best place to purchase a grate? Ebay?
5. Suggested intake grates? Not interested in top mph - but maybe quicker out of water.
6. How hard is it to install? I understand that you have to remove the silicone on the inside to remove the locknut. Simply silicone back over it when done?

I am not looking to race anybody or squeeze that last 2mph out of this machine. I just want a safe, fun seadoo that everyone can enjoy.

Let me know if you have any advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• grate.jpg
    grate.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 78
  • bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 69
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 67
  • nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi,

The intake grate will not have much effect on performance, its main function is to keep crap from getting into the pump. So you should replace it, but I would go ahead a run without one until you get a new one.

Since you need to buy one anyway I would go ahead a buy a performance intake grate. I bought a used R&D Aquavane on EBay for $ 40.00, doesn't effect top end, might even slightly lower it (I'm talking maybe 1mph). It changed the handling characteristics of my GTI, handles much better, especially in the corners.

Lou

it appears to me as if your bolts were sheared off. looks like you'll have top dig out those old studs. a small drill bit and a stub removing tool should do it. ;)

edit:
or is that the part on the "inside" you speak of? looking at the pics again i think i see the silicone you speak of. new silicone should do it. :thumbsup:

Someone else was going to put an aftermarket one in and had no idea how to get the bolts out correctly.

You have to dig into the sealant on the inside of the hull. There is a nut on top of an insert to keep the bolt from backing out. It may come out from the inside once you break it loose.

Sounds good - I will give the removal part a try this weekend. It also looks like one of the "stud" inserts is missing on the other end of the grate. I suppose the sea doo dealer may have those in stock and I can locktite it in to receive the bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back