Mercury M2 Stator Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thundercomm

So what is the Stator all about. Is it esentially a housing with two bushings and a seal? Are there any internal components? I got a rock in mine and a few of the fins on the outside got dinged. I am wondering if I can have the fins repaired and replace the bushings and seal and be good to go. :cheers:

Stator....

The stator is a set of stationary fins that redirect the floow of water to create additional thrust.
Not that it's exactly the same, in ever gas or steam turbine, you'll see a set of rotaing and stationary blades. Thats for two things. To pick up speed every time it changes directions and to counter balance the rotational thrust.
If they aren't dinged up that bad, I wouldn't worry a lot. But if you've lost a good bit of clearance between the impeller and stator, then it may be worth checking. Another thing, if you haven't noticed any real difference in performance or any pull on the steering, then its probable o.k. and can't justify the cost of replacing.

Thanks for the info Snipe. I have a pretty big chunk of one of the fins missing so I will look itno having it repaired. I did find quite a bit of water in it so I will replace the seal and bushings. Should be alot cheaper than replacement. I will post my results when I can get back in the water. Minnesota winters never seem to end.

Wow....!

Wow, if it's that big to do that kind of damage, I'd like to know what caused it. Please post a pix, I think it may be a valuable tool to others in the purpose of the stator. If you have a problem with the upload, look in your PM box and I'll send you my home e-mail and I'll load it up for you.....
Good luck and sorry to hear about the damage.
I"m going to look into the repair of the stator and try to see the difficulty level and the cost.
UPDATE:.....because the M-2 engine is a Mercury, there isn't anything supported motor wise by Sea-Doo. Anything that has to do with the hull, can be found through our local channels, that all the other forum members use to order repair parts. But I did a little searching, found that your stator is a replaceable item, but a costly one. The entire unit is $4000.00 to replace, but the stator will run you about $632.00 and the part number is 855257A8. I found this item through Crowley marine. Here is a link for you to see the exploded view of your pump. Good luck, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
Oh, BTW, we do have the M-2 manual in our library, which you might find useful in replacing the stator. I did go over the procedure and looks pretty simple. If you can replace a wearing ring, there is no reason why you can't replace this part.. Web link is http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/5387/200.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back