Mercury 240 on Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfonsoBarraza

Hello forum,

I'm new to the forum and I have a Speedster with a mercury 240 engine... but it has some problems... I can't go more than 4,000 rpm because the motor doesn't "allow me" to do, something when I slow down the motor stops running, and the sound "beep, beep beep" (don't know it's name) start immediatly when I turn on the boat, then goes off and at 4000 rpm come again... I went to a mercury dealer and he said that I have to check and change all the wiring system... something around 4k :confused:, does anybody know what the problem may be are where is a good place to find the wiring diagram for my boat in order to try to do all the work for myself?

Thanks in advance!

3 beeps is not good. how often is it doing it, about every 2 to 4 minutes? the three beeps indicates no oil flow to the motor which can quickly lead to a junk motor. the one major flaw with these motors is the oil pump drive gear. search for oil pump gear failure and you should be able to find plenty of info on it. If you're going to run it you need to run premix fuel 50:1 ratio until you can figure out whats causing the beeping. the not being able to go over 4000rpm sounds like an ignition issue, seperate from the beeping, either with the stator or trigger. replacing wiring wont do anything. have you delt with this "dealer" before? id find another one. wiring schematics can be found in a service manual.

3 beeps is not good. how often is it doing it, about every 2 to 4 minutes? the three beeps indicates no oil flow to the motor which can quickly lead to a junk motor. the one major flaw with these motors is the oil pump drive gear. search for oil pump gear failure and you should be able to find plenty of info on it. If you're going to run it you need to run premix fuel 50:1 ratio until you can figure out whats causing the beeping. the not being able to go over 4000rpm sounds like an ignition issue, seperate from the beeping, either with the stator or trigger. replacing wiring wont do anything. have you delt with this "dealer" before? id find another one. wiring schematics can be found in a service manual.

Thanks for your response!

Yes... the beep is about every 4 minutes... I'm going to premix the fuel and see if that may be the problem, what are you referring to with the stator issue?

Hello forum,

I'm new to the forum and I have a Speedster with a mercury 240 engine... but it has some problems... I can't go more than 4,000 rpm because the motor doesn't "allow me" to do, something when I slow down the motor stops running, and the sound "beep, beep beep" (don't know it's name) start immediatly when I turn on the boat, then goes off and at 4000 rpm come again... I went to a mercury dealer and he said that I have to check and change all the wiring system... something around 4k :confused:, does anybody know what the problem may be are where is a good place to find the wiring diagram for my boat in order to try to do all the work for myself?

Thanks in advance!

Here are the beep notes from the engine manual for the 2002 and above 240hp EFI. The limit at 4000 could be from low cooling water pressure, I had that problem when I left the flushin cap off. Water sprayed on the engine and it would not go above 4k or so. Once I put the cap back on it was like nothing was ever wrong. Also remember that mid way through 2002 they changed the oil system and went from the gear driven oil pump to the electric oil pump so not ALL 240hp EFI have the oil gear failure problem that you will end up reading about. If you have the reserve oil tank on the front of the engine and no alternator then you have the gear driven pump. If you have the reserve oil tank on the port side of the engine and an alternator on the top port side rear of the engine then you have the electric oil pump.

Power Up/System Check Single Beep

Low Oil 4 Beep... 2 Minutes Off

Over Heat Continuous Beep

Water In Fuel 4 Beep... 2 Minutes Off

Over Speed Continuous Beep

Throttle Sensor Failure Continuous Intermittent Beeping

Oil Level is Critically Low Continuous

Oil Pump Failure Continuous

Eddie

Thanks for your response!

Yes... the beep is about every 4 minutes... I'm going to premix the fuel and see if that may be the problem, what are you referring to with the stator issue?

Premixing will not stop the alarm but it'll save your motor if it isn't getting oil from the oil injection. Im not 100% this is your problem but i know there is a low speed and a high speed winding in the stator. Once the motor Revs to a certain rpm the high speed winding takes over to provide ignition. If your high speed has failed that would be what's not allowing it to get over 4000rpm. Again this is just a theory, don't know for sure. You should get a service manual to troubleshoot or get more opinions from other mechanics.

Here are the beep notes from the engine manual for the 2002 and above 240hp EFI. The limit at 4000 could be from low cooling water pressure, I had that problem when I left the flushin cap off. Water sprayed on the engine and it would not go above 4k or so. Once I put the cap back on it was like nothing was ever wrong. Also remember that mid way through 2002 they changed the oil system and went from the gear driven oil pump to the electric oil pump so not ALL 240hp EFI have the oil gear failure problem that you will end up reading about. If you have the reserve oil tank on the front of the engine and no alternator then you have the gear driven pump. If you have the reserve oil tank on the port side of the engine and an alternator on the top port side rear of the engine then you have the electric oil pump.

Power Up/System Check Single Beep

Low Oil 4 Beep... 2 Minutes Off

Over Heat Continuous Beep

Water In Fuel 4 Beep... 2 Minutes Off

Over Speed Continuous Beep

Throttle Sensor Failure Continuous Intermittent Beeping

Oil Level is Critically Low Continuous

Oil Pump Failure Continuous

Eddie

Oh, so now I have to chek everything now :nopity: 'cause the beep comes on every 2 minutes, and then a continuous beep start...

Thanks your rour response!

Do you guys think that bad spark plug could be the problem?? What kind of plugs does this engine needs?

I don't see how the spark plugs can be the cause for the beeps. Your plugs should be NGK Spark Plug BPZ8HS-10 (#3133).

For better answers you need to put in your profile or posts what year the engine is. The 240hp is different between 2000 and 2002

Eddie

Hello forum,

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I just solved the same problem.

There are 2 oil reservoirs. The large one where you fill the oil, and the small tank attached to the engine. The beeping is because the small one is low. Thats why it beeps even before the engine is running. The small one is supposed to be filled by the large tank using air pressure from the engine. The engine forces air into the large tank and oil out of the large tank into the small one on the engine. There are two filters, one on the line from the large tank to the small one, one inside the large oil tank. It is at the bottom of the tube attached to the lid of the small tank. On mine this was all clogged, i just ordered a new one for 12 dollars. Change both filters and top up the large tank. Top up the small tank 3 quarters of the way. Close up the large tank and leave the small one open. Attach water to the engine and then run it. If the system is working, the small tank should be slowly filling up, watch it with a flashlight. Once the small tank starts to overflow, put the cap on tight. This is how you purge the air out of the lines.

The 3 beeps means the oil is low in the small tank. That tank should always be full unless you run out of oil in the large tank. If you do, it will use up the oil in the small tank and again you will have to purge the air.

Hope this helps someone.
Justin

Update... I replaced the small oil tank, I'm going to test the boat this weekend, it's supposed to work now, I'll keep you update, thanks for all your responses guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back