Mercury 240 Efi Rebuild Kit or Repower

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OziX20

Hey Guys, i have finally pulled the motor out of my 2002 seadoo X20. I am aware that the motor lost compression in cylinder 6. As i don't have a whole lot of time just wondering whether there is a rebuild kit that i can buy for the motor before i go and spend time pulling it down. Also if they are available where do i buy them from? On another note is it possibly easier to just purchase a motor and repower it or is that going to be way too expensive? Because i live in Australia it is a lot harder for us guys to get parts and we tend to be overcharged more for parts and engines here. :facepalm: I have already put a lot of hard work into it with repainting the boat and reupholstering and was shattered to find out the motor had let go before its maiden trip on the water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

X 20 001.jpgX 20 004.jpgX 20 005.jpg

I like the graffiti logos.

Yes... you can get a new or remanufactured engine, and install it. Its the EASYEST way to get up and running. BUT... in the states, that's a $3500 to $6000 option, and I would imagine shipping a powerhead down to Oz would be a killer. then... sending your engine back would be crazy too.

Since you obviously want to keep the boat.... pull the engine, and take it apart before doing anything. You may find that you can just hone one cyl, and replace the piston... and be back up and running. (cheap)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks i thought i might do something different as the X20 decals were no longer available.

Ok so it sounds like pulling the motor down is going to be the best option for sure.

Do you know if you can buy a complete rebuild kit with all pistons, gaskets and etc to do a complete freshen up or do i have to source the parts individually?

Also any other advice while i do the rebuild such as things that should be replaced that the manual may not say to do such as sensors or the oil pump wheel thingy majig?

Thanks

I got my kit from ebay. The sellers name was "Fasterthanmachone". BUT... I don't see the kits listed anymore. The seller was a legit shop, named Tri-state marine. I will have to dig up the phone number for you.

As I recall.... for $850, I got 6 pistons, rings, writs pins, rod bearings, and most of the gaskets. The only things I had to add eas the crank bearings (wanted new ones) and the base gasket for the powerhead.

Thanks Mate that's awesome news. I will pull the motor down now that i know that this will be the easiest way to do it.

If he emails back and says he has them ill find out how bad the pistons are and once it is stripped and order what i need.

Should i remove the oil mixing wheel and how is it that i bypass it?

Thanks again Dr Honda :cheers:

I heard back from the shop, and they do have the kits. You shoudl contact him direct, and he will figure out the shipping price down to OZ for you.

The oil thing is up to you. Personally, when I rebuilt my engine, I put in a new gear, and don't worry. The internal gear is a weak link, and it's known to fail. But, they will normally go for hundreds of hours, and/or +10 years. Also, the new gear is stronger than the old one. BUT, knowing it can fail... some guys opt to take it out.

In my islandia... trying to mix a 50 gallon tank sounded like a total pain in the butt.

Mate your a champion. Thanks for following up for me i will send them through an email today. Really looking forward to getting this thing rebuilt and back on the water hopefully soon.

With the oil mixing wheel and any other little parts that might be needed where is the best place to buy them?

Any other parts you recommend replacing or looking at while i do this rebuild?

Thanks again mate:thumbsup:

If your crank is showing wear... it may need a weld up, and regrind. But, measure it, and make that decision. AND... you may want to replace the main bearings.

Other that that... I think the only other part I needed was a base gasket. (between the power head, and the pump) Oh... and you really should put in new bolts in the connecting rods. The torque spec. assumes stretch... so they are really a one time use bolt.

I got my extra parts from Boats.net. The link below will take you to your powerhead.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...(POWERHEAD)/0E384500 THRU 0E406399/parts.html

Ok sweet. I just had a look at that site which is fantastic as it looks like they will have all the little bits & pieces. I will hopefully know a little bit more once i get the motor apart to help me work out what needs replacing.

With the crank wear i will have to have a look at it once it is out and work my way up. I will keep photos and document all so that hopefully all this info can help someone else out in the future.

Thanks soo much for your help Dr Honda. You have helped me immensly. I will keep you posted with the build :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back