Mercury 240 EFI and 240 EFI M2

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkopsick

I am looking for information on my 2003 Utopia 205 w/ Merc 240 EFI M2. I keep seeing information on 240 EFI M2 and also just 240 EFI. is there a difference? or am I seeing some cases where the M2 was just left off of the discription?

Yes, they are the same. M2 is just a designation for sport jet engines, very commonly left off in references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. That's good to know. Thanks henryb! I will be ordering some parts and was concerned that sometimes they don't say for the M2, just 240 EFI..

When ordering parts it is most important to have your engines serial number handy. And you can go to mercurymarine.com and look up part numbers in their online parts catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry is right. The M2 is the sport jet. AND, when ordering parts... USE YOUR ENGINE S/N !!

BUT..........

there are 2 different 240 EFI engines.

From Mercury... in 2001-1/2, they changed the engine significantly. It has a totally different electronic, fuel, and oiling system. Even thought the change was late 2001... I've seen seadoo boats that are 2003 MY that still have the old engine. (Seadoo had a surplus of the engiens in house)

So... the quick and dirty check is the top engine cover. If it's round, and just covers the flywheel... it's the early engine. If it's big, and more rectangle shaped... it's the newer one.

If the cover is missing, or you suspect someone has just changed parts... then look under the cover. If you have an alternator, driven by a belt... it's the newer engine. (The older engine has a MAG charging system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back