Lots of water in Bilge 2005 Seadoo GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimyIrons

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday when we pulled the seadoos out on the trailer, I went to empty the bilge and one of the seadoos had a large amount of hot water come out of the bilge. The hull is fine, I checked to make someone didn't run into rocks .. any suggestions on where I should look for leaks? I'm assuming I have to hook up the water hose, run it to find the leaks? Just thought I would ask the experienced gurus here on the group... thank you in advance.

You will need to determine if the water is coming from outside or the exhaust or a hose.
Is the water hot or cold?

Then you more than likely have a leaking exhaust.

The typical place is the welch plugs corrode through on the headpipe.

Thanks Mikidymac... Water was sprayed all on the inside of the seadoo.. going out to check it out. Thank you man!

Just wanted to give an update.. it wasn't the welsh plugs. I bought these used a number of years ago and they always had a little bit of a leak I noticed. This weekend it got bad.

I was working on taking the head pipe off and one of the four bolts head was sheared off. See pictures obviously it has been leaking for awhile. Now tracking down the gasket and another bolt .. Thanks for your help.

IMG_20190815_144036681.jpgIMG_20190815_144801895_HDR.jpgIMG_20190815_144036681.jpg

You need to replace the rubber exhaust pipe bushings. When the get worn out they cause the bolts to break.

Will do ... I found one shop in Austin area that has the gasket and parts on hand. Thank you for your help.

I wonder...where did the missing piece of gasket go? or did someone re-assmble it like that??? that'd be a butch job for sure.....

I completely agree... I bought two as a pair 5 years or so ago and this one always leaked a little . Since it wasn't much, I didn't worry too much about it until this weekend when the bilge was full or water.

Whomever tried to fix this before put one of the all bolts in the position closest to the exhaust bushing. That was the one that had the head sheared off. Took it apart and could not believe that the piece of gasket was gone.

I replaced the gasket and got the correct stud to place in that position with the right size nut. All went together easily and will be out on the lake this weekend.

Thanks... love this forum for all the help and support.

On the previous post I meant to type Allen Bolts nearest to the exhaust bushing... accidentally typed all.. This spot needed a stud, that you screw into the exhaust and a bolt to tighten head pipe down. Maybe that was part of the problem with previous owners attempt to fix it.

Update.. I put it all back together and the stud closest to the motor .. water was leaking out of that through the nut. Interesting... looked at shop manual and it says to use Loctite 648. Has anyone had experience with this and any other little things to worry about when putting it all together. Would use gasket sealer like blue RTV when installing the new gasket? Going to work on it today ...easier to take apart and put back together a second time :)

Gasket went on dry the second time I took it apart, and the thing still leaks. The water seems to be coming up around the threads on the bolt closest to the motor and toward the front of the seadoo. Thinking it might be a problem with the stud, I bought a new one.. loctite red... installed it and put it all back together.

Still leaks.. I don't even have to run water, see the exhaust smoke leaking on the front around the front screw. So I tightened the bolts even more thinking I don't have them tight enough.. still leaking.. and now looks like the gasket on the outside of the stud split a little..from being tightened too much.... sigh. :)

Its crazy.. I've put motors in cars and pride myself on being able to work on anything. This seadoo headpipe and gasket replacement are kicking my butt..

I looked closely and do not see a fracture or crack anywhere on the exhaust or the head pipe.. anybody have any ideas or suggestions.. short of paying someone to fix it :)

Thanks,

jimmy

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_145252112_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190906_145252112_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190906_145324274_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190906_145324274_HDR.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 22
You have a lot of gouges and imperfections on the surfaces. You might want to have a machine shop dress them and make them true.

What were you torquing them to ?
Too much or too little causes this as well.

What were you torquing them to ?
Too much or too little causes this as well.
Hi Stephen,

I could only torque the ones I could reach with a socket. the other one I had to tighten with a wrench. Is there a special thin walled, type socket that I can buy for this ? I'm thinking that I may have tightened it down too far with the wrench.

Hi, I've done that a few times and caused leaks.
The trick is to get some crow foot wrenches for the nut. Th at way you can torque it properly.
Screenshot_20190909-202407_Chrome.jpg

And back to alen bolts for the other 3. That allows you to get to the back one with a wobble Allen bit.

Also use locktite!
That engine likes to vibrate and shake them loose.

Hey Stephen,

Got a set of crows feet and have to buy a new torque wrench. The one i have is over 30 years old, it was my dads and has never been re-calibrated. I have two studs on mine with nuts, so going to go to Ace and pick up a new allen bolt to on the outside one and tighten to torque.

Would you use some type of rtv ?? to help with the seal?

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide some advice!

Jimmy

Neither RTV or sealant of any kind.
Just make sure both surfaces are very clean the new gaskets will stick once it gets heated up. I have found that over torquing and under torquing causes leaks as well as not torquing things down evenly.

Neither RTV or sealant of any kind.
Just make sure both surfaces are very clean the new gaskets will stick once it gets heated up. I have found that over torquing and under torquing causes leaks as well as not torquing things down evenly.

Makes sense.. I did notice the seal seemed to stick pretty good even after just running it for a little bit to test for leaks.. I just have to smooth down the surfaces.. with sandpaper to get rid of the little bit of grooves. Hope this does it this time.. Fourth time hopefully is a charm... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back