Looking to get a 4 stroke, tired of working on my 2 strokes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vogs77

I'm looking to buy a good reliable 4 stroke for my daughter to replace my 1999 and 1996 Gtx skis. What should I be looking to purchase? I found a 2006 GTX close to me, good ski? Looking for more reliability for her, not top speed. Completely new to the 4 strokes know nothing about them all advice is welcomed. Thx!

I did the same thing last season. Move from a 96 GSX and 96 GTX. Actually still have both. I bought 2021 GTI SE skis. One 130 and one 170. Both are great. But they are a lot heavier than the two stroke skis as you know. So not as nimble and just feel heavy. But they are trouble free so far as you would expect. The 170 is faster than both of my two stroke skis. The 130 is about the same in acceleration, but the two strokes have a couple MPH more top end. The advice I got was to stay away from the supercharged skis for pure reliability, but the SC skis can be very reliable if treated well. But the early SC skis had some issues with ceramic washers so make sure you look into that if you go SC. I love the new ones for cruising. But they are no where as playful as the GSX. The braking and stuff like that is really cool though. Good luck!

Yea I have read that they are not as nimble but I have a 13 year old daughter that has been riding and driving them with me for many years. I would feel better if she was on something newer when I send her out in her own. The one I am going to look at is not super charged. The asking price for the 2006 gtx I am going to look at is 5500, what are these going for, assuming it is clean and running properly?

Yea I have read that they are not as nimble but I have a 13 year old daughter that has been riding and driving them with me for many years. I would feel better if she was on something newer when I send her out in her own. The one I am going to look at is not super charged. The asking price for the 2006 gtx I am going to look at is 5500, what are these going for, assuming it is clean and running properly?

If you can find a 2019 or newer Spark with less than a couple hundred, I think it would be perfect for a 13 year old granddaughter.

I'm kind of in the same boat, thinking about selling my 95 XP and 97 GTX for a non supercharged 4 stroke for my gf

(4) 2 stroke ski's and a boat is a lot of summer maintenance. Not to mention the race car

What kind of hours is considered high on a 4 stroke ski? Assuming properly maintained.
How to Buy a Used Jet Ski: 10 Things to Look For

The author of that article states the average amount of hours on a ski per year is 30.

That would not be accurate in Florida. I do about 80 hours a year.

I sold a 350 hour ski last year that was running like new. I have no doubt it could easily reach 800+.
Example:

I've also seen skis under 50 hours that are trashed.

I currently have 220 salt water hours on my 2012 GTI 155 Limited (bought it used 2 years ago) and it's running like new.

I have run many, many vehicles on land, water and yes, in the air. I am fairly hard to impress but my 2003 GTX 4-TEC 155 does that every ride. It runs just like the day it was new (maybe better). I would definitely recommend that ski IF it has been maintained. As a lifelong (50 year) mechanic, it is hard to overstress to everyone just how important preventative maintenance really is. Price and condition are 2nd and 3rd on the list when buying used. The wrench guys will obviously know this.
NOTE; This (my) 2003 ski also came with a performance limiting white DESS "learners key" lanyard which could be perfect for your daughter, while learning to ride and CONTROL a nearly 1000 lb ski.

Thx for all the feedback, I am going this week to look at the 2006 gtx non supercharged ski. It only has 9o hours on it so I will inquire on the maintenance of the ski. Owner stated sometimes it doesn't crank and she has to hit the button a couple times. Sounds like a solenoid issue, common on these skis?

Thx for all the feedback, I am going this week to look at the 2006 gtx non supercharged ski. It only has 9o hours on it so I will inquire on the maintenance of the ski. Owner stated sometimes it doesn't crank and she has to hit the button a couple times. Sounds like a solenoid issue, common on these skis?
Yes , change the solenoid relay first . I did that on my 08, but it turned out to be the starter .lol Also I would avoid the skis with the plastic impeller pumps , they warp , twist under acceleration , and can chew up a wear ring in one ride. Cost me about $500 to convert my 08 to the metal housing pump. My display got all funky last month, that was another $600 for the display, about $80 to have it programmed to my ski because the display comes without a flash for many year skis. I did also buy a Candoo scanner to run codes, and program extra keys,etc.. These darn skis can get expensive. I also bought a press and proper tools last year to press in new pump bearings ,etc.. My garage looks like a jetski service dept. now. My wife is loosing it, but my 08GTX155 runs like a top with 170 hrs. because most everything has been replaced. Next month I'll tackle the carbon seal, that's never been changed.

Well looked at the ski today and it is in really nice shape. It ended up being a supercharged ski owned by an older couple. Bought it for 4500, leaves me a thousand to get supercharger rebuilt, fix starter, and change fluids and plugs. I though it was a fair deal with a trailer.

Did you ride the ski before you bought it to make sure sc was working properly? That ski has the ceramic sc washers and if they fail you will be going through the entire motor. Not really a matter of hours, more age and how it was ridden. Better pull that sc right away to make sure both washers are still there. If it is a 185 ski there is a better chance it will be fine.

I have not rode it, starter relay is bad and its winter here. I already verified the relay is not working and am ordering a new one now. It is a 185 ski, 2 owners adult ridden. I am pulling the supercharger off tomorrow to send it off to PWC muscle for a rebuild. They ran the ski this summer until the relay took a crap. What is the difference with the 185, new to the 4 strokes?

They have a lower rev rpm of 7600 and top speed of around 60 where the 215 is 8200 and 70mph so the ceramic washers don't break apart nearly as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back