looking for seadoo propulsion system service tools

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beergut

i cant find anyone to do the carbon ring and seals on my 05 sportster 155- looks like im doing it my self. I even offered a local guy 50% over his normal fee to do the job and he still said no- flipping dealers only want to service what they sell or wont touch anything over 10 yrs old. does anyone have any of the following tools?

529-035-871 drive shaft holder
529-035-841 drive shaft floating ring
529-035-842 pto seal support
529-035-818 shaft pusher

Or let me know if I actually need these tools to do the job.

Attachments

• 20190708_210129.jpg
    20190708_210129.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
I did mine a month or so ago and only had the shaft support and I bought a tool on eBay that looks like a bent pry bar with a fork and to slide the ring back. Cut 2 2x4 to lay over the engine bay opening to lay on and maybe a pad or pillow on it. This makes it a lot easier! The jobs not bad at all but it is a pain in the ass. Just make sure you get the correct carbon ring set! There is a difference between supercharged and non because the drive shaft is bigger in diameter on supercharged.

i picked up the drive line rebuild kit "77-112" from sbt- supposed to be delivered tomorrow- the special tools came today- hopefully Inland Jet doesn't drag their ass getting my pump and impeller back to me... for the hell of it, I took a Dremel to my old stator and cleaned up the vanes. I spent a couple of hours doing it - could probably use another hour of polishing, but I was able to clean it up quite a bit. I'll keep it as a spare just in case. I don't know how it will affect performance because I had to reshape the vanes a bit up top where they were all chewed up.

Attachments

• 20190708_201257.jpg
    20190708_201257.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
my lord- I spent saturday morning installing that flipping carbon seal! what a pita! mechanically speaking, it's simple- but it's a real pita working in the hull and trying to slip the driveshaft in from the back while guiding it through the seals and washers! had to recruit my neighbor to help out. not to mention the shop manual is incorrect when following the steps. i can't imagine doing this without the service tools! it took me an hour just to compress the carbon ring bellow back far enough to expose the c-clip groove; even with the shaft holder on the back, the drive shaft kept sliding back when compressing the bellows- the stainless ring kept hanging up on the groove and pushing the shaft back. i had to put 4 washers into the driveshaft holder to keep positive pressure on the shaft while sliding back the bellows. then, while disassembling, the instructions say to expose the 2 o-rings on the shaft and lubricate them to make it easier to remove the shaft, however, the shaft doesn't have any o-rings on it- the 2 o-rings are located inside the stainless bushing! i spent 30 minutes looking for shaft o-rings before I said f*#k it and just yanked the shaft out!
but, a few bruises, a little blood (fiberglass splinters in the kneecap) and a saturday morning- got the job done! now just waiting for inland jet to ship me my new pump & impeller........any. day. now. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back