looking for a replacement...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cheekybobcat

Bad news. Last July, I was out with my friend in the Outer Banks. We were out in the Currituck Sound and something bad happened. We were riding side by side; I was on the left and he was on the right of me. I swung out left and did a quick turn right but he didn't notice me coming back so he went left and ended up hitting me at 40mph. No injuries but he hit my front right hull pretty good. No cracks or anything on mine and nothing looked wrong with his except the rubber guard around the front popped off. It was my parents 08' 215HP RXT. We popped the rubber guard back in and continued the day with no problems. When we got back, we used it all summer at home with no problems either but we knew we'd have to take it in to make sure nothing was wrong. When we took it into the body shop, they claimed it was totaled. How? Apparently there were cracks in the bottom and top hull piece and need to be completely replaced.

Not to mention, the body shop has had both my jet ski and the RXT for 9 MONTHS (they are on a double trailer) and have had ZERO PROGRESS. NONE. It took them 9 months for them to take it apart and tell us it's totaled. I am horribly distraught at this and my parents are currently waiting for the insurance agency to send someone to the shop to look at the RXT and determine whether it is actually totaled or not. Personally, I do not see how a jet ski we used for 2 months after the accident with no trouble could be totaled but who knows.

Anyway, if they insurance agency decides it's totaled, we are going to get a used jet ski or less expensive new. I was wondering what you guys think we should get for about $8,000. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe some riding lessons and a copy of PWC laws for the kids perhaps? :)

its worth it for anyone thats going to be opperating a vessel on the water to complete a rider/boating safty corse, this could have been alot worse then it was, I love this respose. Had both been paying attention that never would have happend.

It is perfectly possible for you to have rode on it afterwards, at 40mph fiberglass damage would be expected, and cracks do not have to leak right away, but you have ruined the integrity of the craft, some can get bad enough where just jumping waves can expand the cracks further.

Uhm thanks? I was hoping for some real suggestions but ok.

Take it to another shop, 9 months is about 8 months too long IMO. For a new ski, a 3-seater: gtx's are pretty good. Maybe a 2006 or so. Browse the sea-doo.com, they display their previous years showrooms. Take a look and see what suites you best.

And damn, you collided with another ski at 40mph, I would expect some damage. Even though you did ride it the rest of the season, that fracture could crack under stress and your seadoo would be no longer.

Take it easy out there man,
Jake

Um...the shop did not have the boat for 9 months. Read his IP. Accident in July, rode for two more months that puts it into September. It's been 6 maybe 7 months since the shop had it. And if he's fudging the facts to us then the facts are being fudged elsewhere as well.

Now, I can see the parents saying something to the effect as "no rush, we won't need them until the spring anyway". So, they set them aside and concentrated on customers that needed their boats quicker. So here spring has arrived, they checked them out and BAM...they are totaled. As for what to buy for 8 grand? Two older skis that may very well need repairs again in the future.

Out of curiousity, how old are/were you guys?

Snipped from our laws here in NC:

Reckless Operation Includes:
A. Unreasonable or unnecessary weaving through congested boat traffic.
B: Jumping the wake of a vessel within 100 feet of the vessel or when visibility is obstructed.
C. Intentionally approaching a vessel in order to swerve at the last moment.
D. Operating contrary to the "rules of the road".
E. Following too closely (see below) to another vessel, including another personal watercraft.

Following too Closely:
The term "following too closely" means proceeding in the same direction and operating at a speed in excess of 10 miles per hour when approaching within 100 feet to the rear or 50 feet to the side of another vessel that is underway unless that vessel is operating in a narrow channel, in which case a personal watercraft may operate at the speed and flow of other vessel traffic.

Just an observation and an opinion.

Back