Looking at 96 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite6

Hi Guys,

Just joined the boards and seems like there is a lot great information floating around here!

I am looking at purchasing a 96 Challenger and was hoping to get some advice on the purchase.

From a brief conversation with the owner about the boat:

• 110HP Rotax - single
  • The boat had the original green and white vinyl upholstery with some wear cracks on the driver's seat when I bought it spring of 2007. A professional upholsterer re-did it in SeaDoo marine purple and seagull grey, which matches the engine colours.
  • Tune up at a local seadoo dealer
  • It has the digital sensor which indicates the engine has approx 300 hours on it.
  • Previous owner had had the head gasket replaced.
  • The engine lines were drained, battery disconnected and winter prepped – stored indoors
  • Spring hook up is already paid for

Few questions:

How capable is the 110HP single motor version? I have been looking at the twin motor versions with a lot more HP. I plan on using the boat for ripping around/cruising/watersports. Will the 110HP fulfill those needs with little trouble? Do the twin motor versions completely blow the single motor versions away in performance? I am guessing those boats also reach around 50MPH?

That brings me to my next question – fuel consumption. Will the twin motor version literally consume twice the gas or will I see gas savings through less load per motor? How efficient are these boats on gasoline given cruising conditions? My father in law keeps telling me those things are the worst on gas! He has a 1990-1992 18-20ft boat with a 4 stroke 4.3L Merc prop driven 175HP motor. I find that thing is a pig on gas. How will the lighter and less powerful boat fair in fuel consumption given the differences in propulsion?

Finally, it is a 4 seater but I see 1-2 places unused at the front of the boat. The current owner tells me those seats are only used when at rest. Apparently, it is not a good idea to be sitting in them during operation? It would be nice if those seats could be used under cruising conditions so we can bring a little more than the family with us. What are your thoughts here?

I think the boat can be had for $4,500-$4,700

Now please school me! :hurray:

School what?

Doesn't seem like you need much school.....looks like you've done some homework.

I have the 97 Challenger and wouldn't even think of selling it! Only because, during this fuel crunch, it's the most efficient engine out there with enough horsepower to push you out of the water high enough that when you come down, you say "ouch"........I do anyway.

The little seat up front is where my 2 daughters sit (6 and 7), only while on the river, where the water is calm. On the bay, I make them sit in back with me. To much air. I let one sit in the back facing seat, then one day, I saw her lift from her seat. That ended that. She (they) both have to sit with me.

You'll be surprised at the power. And your right, the twin engines will make the same speed, just a little quicker. Fuel consumption would also be double at WOT.

Plenty of storage space in the compartment over the engine. I strap my knee board down (to old to wake board,:rofl:)on the back of the engine cover, where the rubber matting is.

Price sounds about right too. I bought mine in mint condition, garage kept, but being that old, it wasn't long I was rebuilding the carbs, changed out the wearing ring and put new bearings in the pump. This past season, it was a head gasket and repaired small pinholes in the water jacket around the exhaust system.

I hope this helps you out a little..........I really like the power of my boat. But it can't compare to the 4-TEC's........so, although it's quick, you'll see the 4-TEC's blow right by you........

Thanks for the reply,

So these engines are actually more fuel efficient than your standard prop driven variety - that is great to know. I will ahve to school the father in law on that one :) - Maybe I challenge him to a first one to empty race with equal amounts of fuel :reddevil:

I have 2 daughters as well 11 and 13 - so being able to cruise around with the 4 of us is important. In another thread a member had mentioned the weight limit for these boats is about 700lbs? With a full tank of fuel that leaves 550lbs for 4 people. I am not a small guy and take up 265lbs of that leaving my wife and kids to fight it out over the remaining 285 lbs (not happening). If we end up with say 850lbs total can I expect to sink or something crazy like that?

I know for automobiles the weight rating assumes you have a full tank then allows for 180lbs per passenger. That would place the speedster/challenger 4 seaters at 4*180lbs or 720 total without fuel. Anyone know for sure if boat capacities include fuel weight?

As you have said with the gas crunch I am thinking the single engine is much more economical.

For comparison sake do you think the 110HP version will blow away my FIL's 175HP 18ft'er? Just want to make sure if we ever drag I know the outcome :cheers:

In terms of maintenance, for all the items you mentioned how much can one expect to pay in parts? (I do that kind of stuff myself - save labour $)

Yeah I was under the impression the 4Tec's were quite a bit faster. What year did they surface in the Seadoo lineup? I can always upgrade in the future anyway - got lots of years left (28 right now) - I think this might be a good starter boat giving me good power but not costing an arm and a leg in fuel...

Update:

Went and looked at the boat, it had the usual battle scars and such. The owner told me that the 110HP motor may not be sufficient if towing a 200lb+ man with 2 people in the boat.

I am starting to second guess the single version. The twin version would run me another $1,000 or so - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back