Looking at 210 SP tomorrow - any input?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

EstorilM

My first boat was a 2-stroke Yamaha LS2000 and it was perfect.. sold it to upgrade, my winter project was an old DONZI black widow, 24'.. put a new high compression big block in it and had nothing but problems till the damn thing blew on my 2 weekends ago (at least the shop is giving me a refund, but I'm selling the hull and going back to an EFI / production boat). Now I'm boatless in the middle of June though. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So I was sold on the Yamaha 212SS, till I discovered that NONE are available coast-to-coast and those that are go for $4k over MSRP! Plus I'm still not sold on the squared-off deck boat front (I LOVE the compromise that Sea Doo has done.. it's slightly squared but not enough to take away from any aesthetics, if anything it gives the boat a more muscular look).

I feel like Yamaha's success in the boat market has forced Sea Doo to really raise the bar and develop new features and technologies just to gain even ~20% market share - which is really a good thing since (after doing some research) they appear to give you a lot more boat for the price, while maintaining a sporty-looking package which is my largest complaint with Yamaha lately.. every year their boats get less and less sporty and more and more family-oriented. The low/tinted windshield and stance on the '08 - '10 212SS looked AMAZING, I can't believe they dropped that for a huge conventional windshield and square-bow hull!

So anyways I called my local Sea Doo dealer and to my amazement he said they could probably get one in a week, and that they had a 230 SP in the showroom that I could look at. So I'm going over there tomorrow to check it out and see how everything functions and how flexible the boat is - I already know the interior is a swiss army knife and does everything, but I want to see it for myself. Do you think I can talk them down off MSRP at all considering the time of year?

Also, do the boats come with covers / filler cushions / table? What would I need to buy?

Last thing... WTF is up with Sea Doo and their engine specs. Are they being intentionally vague?! They list the Challenger, Challenger S, and Challenger SE on their website.. yet they don't even say what the different engines are!! There's no mention of horsepower anywhere on the website, yet every single boat comes with different power options - it's INSANELY confusing.

So the 210 SP only comes with the twin 155 N/A engines right? While the challenger 210 can be had with the single 255 SC? Is the "100 hour supercharger overhaul" thing a myth or no? How has the Rotax engine reliability changed? I loved Yamaha for their industry-respected reliability while I continue to hear the opposite about Rotax, however I know most of this was the first gen SC engines and earlier 2-stroke/4-tec models. I'd assume the new ones are far better. Also has anyone had overheating issues with the closed-loop systems? Some of the water can reach 94 degrees at the surface in the summer here. How do the cooling pads react with salt water? My parents have a beach house with a dock (off a canal) so I'd take it there too.

JK I have one more question - there's no fuel consumption data available that I can find, at least for the twin 155 NA setups. What do you all average at cruise for MPG / GPH? What should a 210SP top out at speed-wise? Are the SC engines the only ones that require (well, suggested) 91+ fuel?

Sorry for the huge post, but obviously this is an equally huge purchase (for me anyways) and I hope to keep the boat for ~8 or so years - so I want to make the right decision. I feel like this new "look" for the SP / squared-off bows is the wave of the future for bowriders, and that this will still look like a modern boat for years to come.

I've been back and forth between Seadoo and Yamaha boats also!! I took a 210 for a test ride, very nice boat with some great options...I really want a walk through transom and a deeper hull for better ocean trips. I currently have a speedster200 with the twin 155HP engines, so far they have been bullet proof without any breakdowns. Only issue I had was one of the oil pressure sensors was acting up, I replaced it myself for less then $50!! If I decide to get the 210 I will stick with the N/A 155HP engines, they have really good performance (top speed in the low 50's) and pretty good fuel consumption...and I fill with regular gas were the supercharged engines require high octane fuel. The supercharger issues have been taken care of from the previous 05-09 year boats but they do still need to be re-built but I think it is now at the 200 hr mark. As far as the cooling system, I prefer the closed loop system on the Seadoo's over the open loop system on the Yamaha's...I have never had a "over-heating" issue with our boat, even when we went to Bimini last June where the water temps were in the 90's!! Still need to flush when using in salt water but it flushes the exhaust system only which uses lake/ocean water to cool.
Only advice I would give is if your buying new, get the extended warranty, you may be able to get them to throw it in to seal the deal!! Good luck and post your decision!!

Supercharged still take 87 gas. I don't know why everyone thinks you need to run premium. The boat manual and gas sticker both say 87. The supercharged engines are a lot better for take off. If you're getting the sp due to the ski function then get the wake, if not then get the SE. You can usually get around $2k off of a new boat, even in June. The service on the twin engines is around $500 a year and every 200ish hours the superchargers need to be rebuilt at another $250 each. There are boat tests done on n/a and s/c engine setups that list fuel specs. Just driving around isn't much difference, but pulling people out of the water ears gas on them both. The 210 wake has more features and it's only $3k more. They all come with bow and cockpit covers. Get the dealer to throw on a spare tire and guide poles. Theyll also throw in life jackets and stuff.

I've been back and forth between Seadoo and Yamaha boats also!! I took a 210 for a test ride, very nice boat with some great options...I really want a walk through transom and a deeper hull for better ocean trips. I currently have a speedster200 with the twin 155HP engines, so far they have been bullet proof without any breakdowns. Only issue I had was one of the oil pressure sensors was acting up, I replaced it myself for less then $50!! If I decide to get the 210 I will stick with the N/A 155HP engines, they have really good performance (top speed in the low 50's) and pretty good fuel consumption...and I fill with regular gas were the supercharged engines require high octane fuel. The supercharger issues have been taken care of from the previous 05-09 year boats but they do still need to be re-built but I think it is now at the 200 hr mark. As far as the cooling system, I prefer the closed loop system on the Seadoo's over the open loop system on the Yamaha's...I have never had a "over-heating" issue with our boat, even when we went to Bimini last June where the water temps were in the 90's!! Still need to flush when using in salt water but it flushes the exhaust system only which uses lake/ocean water to cool.
Only advice I would give is if your buying new, get the extended warranty, you may be able to get them to throw it in to seal the deal!! Good luck and post your decision!!

Thanks for taking the time to write your input, it was very helpful - I think I'm headed the right direction with this boat for sure.

As another poster mentioned, part of their summer sales event is the 3.99% financing PLUS a 3 year limited warranty, so that's rather impressive.

cycleguy88 - I agree with some of what you said, but not all of the upgrading philosophies. The wake models certainly aren't a flat 3k, and generally it works out to 4k+ and I'm honestly not THAT sold on all the stuff yet. I'd love to have the internal navigation functionality as I need to drill a hole in the SP to mount my Garmin (ouch) but oh well. A few friends mentioned that it would be nice to "try" - CERTAINLY not like I'd be towing upper level people or anyone requiring ballasts / big wakes.

The 210 SP still comes with more features than the top-trim SE, yet ends up being cheaper.. plus you get the tower (and obviously all the other stuff like the covers, table, upgraded stereo/remote, stainless hardware, etc) plus this may sound stupid, but the SP models really do look the best with the 2012 color scheme and the black graphics that blend into the lines of the black arch tower.

When I sat in the Challenger 210 they had today, I was very disappointed with the front bow space. I really couldn't stretch my legs out unless my feet were on the front step area... I was under the impression that there was much more room than that (my old 20' yamaha was larger up front) but I guess they freed up a lot of room for the massive cockpit area behind the windshield, which I can understand also.

Do they come with filler cushions for the rear seating, or only the bow?

Jdb929 - how do you like it?! Let me know what kind of GPH you get when you put it into ECO mode.. and also do you mind me asking where you are and how much you ended up walking out the door with the boat for?

Right now they've got me at $44,500 with the $1400 freight, $500 processing (wtf, stick a battery in it?) and tax/tags/registration.

Should I ask them to cut the freight/processing and throw in my safety equipment/life jackets plus spare tire and they've got a deal? That would be around ~2k - 2.5k off which would still land me back at MSRP.

It has the iPod dock, not sure about the fire extinguisher....the dealer still has the boat...I bought it late in the afternoon and they won't be able to prep it until tues. The wait is killing me.

I have the 180 and I can use the regular Apple cord from the Jensen radio. Also, check out the manual for the Jensen. On mine, I can play an iPod Touch, my iPhone 4, but not my friends 4S. My fire extinguishers is stored under the seats in the bow of the boat, port side.

Last edited by a moderator:
everything about the 180 is different. The fire ex is not in the same place, and the radio is completely different. The regular iPhone cable won't work.

I haven't gotten the cable yet....I will soon. I only had about an hour on the lake so I didn't even mess with the radio, I can't wait to take her back out this weekend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340289866.281103.jpg

I found a place with a 2011 model that wants $37999 which is a decent deal but I think I can get them lower, soon they will get 2013s and this thing will be killing them.

Does anyone know off hand if the swing away tongue folds shorter than the bow? Like in a garage would the door hit the bow or the tongue? And in the back the boat is further back than the trailer right? My garage is 21'6" and the boat is 20'6".. not sure on trailer though.

Hopefully I can work out a deal this weekend!

Hey EstorilM, I think I know what dealer you are referring to, if it is Hidden Trails AtV in west virginia, RUN THE OTHER WAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. They are not a volume boat dealer and if you have an issue, they flat out ignore you. I bought a 2011 Sea DOO Challenger 180 SE from them last July. I live ten hours away in PA. I went to pick up the boat and brought it home. When i got home, I looked it over carefully and noticed a ton of damages and even a gouge in the black gel coat that I hadn't noticed at the dealership. When I called to talk about the issues, I was given the run a round and the owner never called me back. Finally, after three weeks of getting "he is out of town" or "he is not here" or "he is busy with customers but will call you back", I gave up and traded the boat to another dealer. They did not want to help me, they did not even want to talk to me. Once they found out that I wanted to return the boat, they quickly notorized the certificate of origin and sent it to me. I had explicitly told them not to do that, that I was unhappy with the condition of the boat. I even told them to take this boat back and I would buy another one from them that they had in stock. I called SCHRONCE POWERSPORTS in N.C. and they were wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!! They traded my new, unused boat and sold me another boat WITHOUT any damage and even delivered it to me free of charge. Did I mention I live twelve hours away from them. Martha Schronce, the owner, is the most kind and sincere person you could ever hope to meet. In fact, I just traded my bought that I bought from them last year on a 2012 210 SP! They are delivering it to me on Tuesday. Long story short, call Martha Schronce at Schronce Powersports, I promise you won't regret it!!!

Hey EstorilM, I think I know what dealer you are referring to, if it is Hidden Trails AtV in west virginia, RUN THE OTHER WAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. They are not a volume boat dealer and if you have an issue, they flat out ignore you. I bought a 2011 Sea DOO Challenger 180 SE from them last July. ...

Damn thanks for the heads up man.. this sucks. At this point in the season there just aren't any dealers left with this boat. I actually like the idea of a 2011 if I can get some serious savings on it, but at 38 which includes the 1500 BRP 2011 model rebate, that puts 39500 in their pocket which is NOT a good price for a 2011!

I'm still going to try and pursue the boat with them, however after what you said, I won't drive up there or sign any paperwork till I get high resolution images of every inch of that boat, trailer, cover, and cushions. Period.

I've got a Sea Dooo authorized service center like 20 miles away and they're pretty good from what I hear, so there's no way I'd drive back to WV for anything. All the paperwork and financing will be through BRP, so really I just need them to hand me the keys and agree on a decent price.

They ARE impossible to get ahold of and it kinda bugs me considering the amount of money that we're talking about here. How much wiggle room did they have on the price when you bought your boat from them before?

...at this point my backup plan is just to go after that 2010 Challenger that's at my local dealership and see if I can get an insane deal on it.

Damn thanks for the heads up man.. this sucks. At this point in the season there just aren't any dealers left with this boat. I actually like the idea of a 2011 if I can get some serious savings on it, but at 38 which includes the 1500 BRP 2011 model rebate, that puts 39500 in their pocket which is NOT a good price for a 2011!

I'm still going to try and pursue the boat with them, however after what you said, I won't drive up there or sign any paperwork till I get high resolution images of every inch of that boat, trailer, cover, and cushions. Period.

I've got a Sea Dooo authorized service center like 20 miles away and they're pretty good from what I hear, so there's no way I'd drive back to WV for anything. All the paperwork and financing will be through BRP, so really I just need them to hand me the keys and agree on a decent price.

They ARE impossible to get ahold of and it kinda bugs me considering the amount of money that we're talking about here. How much wiggle room did they have on the price when you bought your boat from them before?

...at this point my backup plan is just to go after that 2010 Challenger that's at my local dealership and see if I can get an insane deal on it.

The price they gave me was fair, that is why I traveled that far. I got the boat for $2,000 off MSRP. The MSRP was $25,999, I paid $24,000 and invoice was $22,000. Oh, another thing about Hidden Trails, they lie about EVERYTHING. First they said they had the boat in stock when I first contacted them, then, when I found out they had only two boats in inventory, they said they located it for me from a dealer in Florida and it would cost ME $500 for them to get it. THey sprung this on me AFTER we made the deal for the boat. After much haggling, we agreed to split the cost of delivery. When I got the Certificate of ORigin, it showed the boat actually came from a dealer near them in Tennessee. Another lie in a long list of lies. I am an easy going guy and am very fair when I purchase stuff, I never beat dealers up over price since i understand they are in business to make money to keep the doors open. I'm also not a push over, but to see how Hidden Trails does business, I wouldn't buy another boat from them even if it was 50% off. NOT worth the hassle.

I know that Schronce has a lightly used 2011 Sea Doo 210SP and a 2012 Challenger 210 in stock. I would really urge you to call Martha, she is the best person/company to deal with. You would be surprised how a bad buying experience can sour your enjoyment of your new, very expensive purchase. I hope this helps, good luck with it and let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back