Limp mode re setting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basherbish

Hi guys
Can anyone help please, I’ve sucked up a stone in my impeller and gone into limp mode

After Removing the stone, how do Ire set it to take it out of limp mode? Or would it do it automatically and do it itself

Is there a sequence or process

Any help muchly appreciated

Sucking up a rock won't cause your ski to go into limp mode. However, if you sucked up something that restricts cooling water flow to the engine, that could cause a high engine temperature condition and in turn, the ECU sets the limp-home mode. Cooling water flow for the exhaust manifold comes from the jet pump.

I suggest you download your shop manual from seadoomanuals.net and read up on what causes limp mode. If I recall correctly, it's parameters like low oil pressure, high engine temp etc that will cause limp-home mode. There are no sensors in your jet pump that report to the ECU.

Typically, you need to correct the cause of the limp-home mode condition. For example, if it's high engine temp, letting it cool off could result in normal operation, but if you don't fix the cause of the high engine temp, it will come right back the next time you use the ski.

Thanks
But if your impeller is restricted the rear flap drops which then activated limp mode as a fault,there’s an override internally I’m sure to stop the impeller beating it self to death if it detects an obstruction
So not to cause more damage.
Yes agreed if sucking up a small enough stone could over heat an engine if it reduces flow around the motor but if the impeller isn’t turning there is no water being circulated from negative pressure at the pump so naturally the over heat alarm would go off

Stone cleared now, fault seems to have cleared itself as impeller turns
Cheers

Thanks
But if your impeller is restricted the rear flap drops which then activated limp mode as a fault,there’s an override internally I’m sure to stop the impeller beating it self to death if it detects an obstruction
So not to cause more damage.

Must ship a different version Seadoo to the UK cause mine don't work like that.

I did say (I’m sure) meaning possible?

The ski was running on idle when the stone went in
The motor stoped and the rear revering flap came down

I’m guessing here that it did that so the splines don’t strip of bend the shaft

Sorry if it sounded confusing

I think when you say flap your referring to your reverse bucket which is part of the IBR system. If the IBR computer senses a fault it will also activate limp mode and in your case that’s probably what happened. Everything worked as it’s suppose to and nothing broke. You cleared the rock, the faults became inactive and are now harmlessly stored in your ECM as occurred faults and can be cleared but not necessary.

Yep that’s what happened
All cleared and hopefully all good
Just need wait for less chop so I can launch to water test it

Cheers

Sucking up a rock won't cause your ski to go into limp mode. However, if you sucked up something that restricts cooling water flow to the engine, that could cause a high engine temperature condition and in turn, the ECU sets the limp-home mode. Cooling water flow for the exhaust manifold comes from the jet pump.

I suggest you download your shop manual from seadoomanuals.net and read up on what causes limp mode. If I recall correctly, it's parameters like low oil pressure, high engine temp etc that will cause limp-home mode. There are no sensors in your jet pump that report to the ECU.

Typically, you need to correct the cause of the limp-home mode condition. For example, if it's high engine temp, letting it cool off could result in normal operation, but if you don't fix the cause of the high engine temp, it will come right back the next time you use the ski.
Hello.. I'm writing to ask if limp mode can be triggered yet no other indication or error message be given... even anything indicating you are infact in limp mode?

I've a 2016 gtx ltd 260iS that is limited to 3000rpms with no other indication or warning or message or error showing. It fires right up and purrs just won't go past 3k revs? Any ideas?

Sounds like you're using a learner key, or the ski thinks there is a learner key installed.

Any event that would cause the ECU to go into the limp-home mode should trigger a DTC in memory. A list of events that would cause the ECU to go into the limp-home mode is listed in your service manual.

The answer is no to your question, you will get either high temp, low oil pressure, or ibr fault annuunciated on your mfd and limp home mode will also be displayed. RPM is restricted to 3000 or 2500 depending on which malfunction displayed. Also your MFD will tell you which key you are using during start up. It will a scroll across the bottom of the MFD, NORMAL, LEARNER, RENTAL

The answer is no to your question, you will get either high temp, low oil pressure, or ibr fault annuunciated on your mfd and limp home mode will also be displayed. RPM is restricted to 3000 or 2500 depending on which malfunction displayed. Also your MFD will tell you which key you are using during start up. It will a scroll across the bottom of the MFD, NORMAL, LEARNER, RENTAL
Hello and thank you

.I was careful to consider all your points and suggestions from the proper key used to the temp. To limp mode ect...

I have not been able to find any messages or limp mode designation or anything.
The mfd works fine and is displaying just the generic 'check eng.' And the 0616 code

So given that the key is correct, the engine runs smooth, it's got fuel in the tank... Is there anything else that trigger this?

Moreover, the original wonder of mine was regarding how an error or a check engine warning cam be cleared.

I think it's safe to assume that the condition no longer is hindering the ski... it's the warnings and I guess limp mode that has me restricted.

So.. how to clear it. I'm thinking that once it is reset, I will be fine.

I mean a chk engine light would trip a limtp mode or similar measure correct?

Can you tell me how such a thing can be or does get cleared ?

Could it be a fuel pump related... or fuel filter restricted?
I couldn't say for sure if a fuel smell here or there when riding is not unusual
.. maybe it I'd and this is the pro

I really appreciate the guidance as I've only got the service manual for my 07 challenger 180.SE

As long as the 0616 code is active, triggering the check engine light on the MFD, you can’t clear it. You need to figure out what’s causing the 0616 code. You can check if a code is active by shutting down the ski (ECM) for three minutes to see if the check engine light goes away. If it remains its active and can’t be cleared.

Last edited:
P0616 code just came up in another discussion:

Starter relay short to ground or open circuit OR Burnt bilge pump,beeper,diagnostic center 3A fuse....same code used....apparently a common failure situation....FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back