LED install in factory courtesy light housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8vji

So while I am waiting on my new wear rings to come in for my new to me 1999 Challenger 1800, I decided to work on installing some LED's. I purchased a ten pack of Oznium blue four chip LED's, today I swapped out the factory courtesy lights and thought I would share my install.

I wanted an install that was easy to replace and did not destroy the factory light housing. I started out with two Female Disconnect crimp on connectors. Due to clearance issues in the factory light housing I had to clip off the crimp area of the connector

118.jpg

The Oznium LED comes with several inches of wire attached and an inline resistor. Cut the wire off a couple inches past the resistor and strip about 3/4 of an inch of the insulation off each wire. Then place the modified female disconnect in a vise and lay the wire across the end where the crimp was cut off

119.jpg

Next, solder the wire to the female disconnect

120.jpg

After soldering both leads you should have this

121.jpg

Just to be safe, I decided to heat shrink the connectors. Cut a strip of heat shrink tubing to cover the top where the wire was soldered on

122.jpg

Then slide a piece of tubing over the connector and over the piece covering the top

123.jpg

This is the inside of the factory courtesy light housing with the incandescent light

124.jpg

And with the lamp removed you can see the two leads that will slide nicely into the female disconnects on the LED.

125.jpg

Now to mount the LED. Drill a 3/8 inch hole in the back of the housing near the bottom. The inline resister is too big to go in the housing so slide it through the hole and let the wire leads come back into the housing. Make a notch in the hole to make room for the wires.

126.jpg

Slide the LED into the hole and add a little silicone RTV to help hold it there. Then you need to figure out the polarity. Turn on the courtesy light switch and touch the female disconnects to the factory lamp connectors. If the LED does not come one, switch the polarity. Once you have the correct polarity, slide the disconnects onto the connectors making sure they are all the way seated. Route the wires out of the way to make installing the lens easier.

127.jpg

Snap the lens and cover back on the light. Fin.

128.jpg

Repeat for the other side and you will have something that looks like this

129.jpg

I hope this was helpful. Soon I will be doing my cup holder lights and I will post pics of that as well. Feel free to ask any questions and offer any suggestions.

James

Ya know, there is an LED bulb that is a simple replacement. They are called festoon bulbs. Much easier, but it looks good.

Ya know, there is an LED bulb that is a simple replacement. They are called festoon bulbs. Much easier, but it looks good.

Thank you. I chose to use the Oznium LED's over the festoon because they were cheaper, designed to be water proof, and I wanted all my LED's to be the same color and intensity. Oh, and I like projects so this was way more fun than just a replacement lamp lol.

James

Looks great. Foster, do you know the bulb size/# for the festoon bulbs? I am adding a bunch of oznium blue led's and want to change out the courtesy bulbs.

Im not sure off the top of my head. i think I still have a package at home. I will see if i can find the number.

Thanks for your help. I would check the boat but it is at the dealer getting the bimini and cover made!

Hey Foster, any luck with the bulb number. I looked at my boat yesterday and it has a fuse style bulb Perko #1044-99a. I emailed Superbright led bulbs and they said festoon doesn't have a replacement for this bulb. He told me to send him the measurement from the bulb. Ready to order LEDs but would like to order these also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back