Leaking oil tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed some oil coming from under the gas tank on my 2004 seadoo gti le. Pulled the oil tank and this is what I found.(see pic) The blue arrows indicate where the seams are separated and the red shows where the actual leak is. My question is how to fix it. I have seen people plastic weld their seams back together but I had the idea of using some brad binder clips to bring the area back together and then plastic weld between the clips. I thought I might just try the clips first and then see if the tank leaks. The clips exert a good amount of pressure and the wire handles are removable.. You can get them in different sizes. The rest of the tank was tight. Any opinions or other ideas?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • clip.JPG
    clip.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 74
I know some people have had luck with plastic welding the seams but for the time, trouble and tools needed I just spend the $99 and replace them. It is fast, easy and will probably last another 10+ years.

I hear what you're saying but being retired am on a limited budget so $99 would buy a lot of food so I am looking at more inexpensive options

I did replace mine with a new one from local dealer, installed last September but it to started leaking around the seam over the winter. I currently have my old tank on I tried welding together using a small butane torch and about 1 inch wide strips of windshield washer jug I cut up.seadoo Heated up oil tank and then slowly started rolling the strips onto the tank heating the tank and strips as I went. It turned out pretty good and then I added an extra layer of epoxy over seam as well. I cleaned tank out with varisol before starting to remove oil. It's been about 2 months so far with no leaks.

I did replace mine with a new one from local dealer, installed last September but it to started leaking around the seam over the winter. I currently have my old tank on I tried welding together using a small butane torch and about 1 inch wide strips of windshield washer jug I cut up. I Heated up oil tank and then slowly started rolling the strips onto the tank heating the tank and strips as I went. It turned out pretty good and then I added an extra layer of epoxy over seam as well. I cleaned tank out with varisol before starting to remove oil. It's been about 2 months so far with no leaks.

I've seen a guy plastic weld using strips cut from plastic line you use on icemakers. He lit the end of plastic and it burned and melted a bead on the tank seam. Looked pretty good and he says it fused to the tank so I'm thinking about going that route.

I plastic welded the whole seam all the way around, checked for leaks, none. sealed with plastiweld all the way around. think my leak problems are fixed. we'll see on test drive. will report back. FYI I used 1/4 plastic tubing like for ice makers. flowed in the seams like butter.

Attachments

• 20180627_170118[1].jpg
    20180627_170118[1].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
I plastic welded the whole seam all the way around, checked for leaks, none. sealed with plastiweld all the way around. think my leak problems are fixed. we'll see on test drive. will report back. FYI I used 1/4 plastic tubing like for ice makers. flowed in the seams like butter.
took the jet ski to the river and rode around and did some aggressive riding and so far no leakage. tank is tight.

cigarette lighter, once the plastic starts burning it will continue to burn and you let the melted plastic flow onto the material you want to weld. it fuses to the plastic and I took a soldering iron with a flat tip to smooth out the welds. if the flame goes out just relight it and go slow.

Noticed some oil coming from under the gas tank on my 2004 seadoo gti le. Pulled the oil tank and this is what I found.(see pic) The blue arrows indicate where the seams are separated and the red shows where the actual leak is. My question is how to fix it. I have seen people plastic weld their seams back together but I had the idea of using some brad binder clips to bring the area back together and then plastic weld between the clips. I thought I might just try the clips first and then see if the tank leaks. The clips exert a good amount of pressure and the wire handles are removable.. You can get them in different sizes. The rest of the tank was tight. Any opinions or other ideas?
Looking for how to remove the oil tank for repair or replacement. Not seeing it in the shop manual. 2003 RX-DI. Thank you!

I've done some plastic welding on my airplane wing tips. It was a very tedious process but worked great. I did have a proper tool set with adjustable heat. I also did a bit of what I would not call welding but sealing the cut out I made for a jet ski fuel sending unit where I used my soldering iron. :D :D I highly recommend the proper tools.

I thought on all Seadoo's they are strapped in? post a pic.
Yes, straps are released. Access to the supply line and the in-line filter at the bottom/aft of the tank is a challenge. Plus fuel supply and return lines up front restrict moving the tank fwd. Some disassembly required to provide access?

Yes, straps are released. Access to the supply line and the in-line filter at the bottom/aft of the tank is a challenge. Plus fuel supply and return lines up front restrict moving the tank fwd. Some disassembly required to provide access?

You should be able to get a hand on it, reach down where it's connected and pull it loose, then stick a bolt or something in the line to stop the oil running out.

I've done some plastic welding on my airplane wing tips. It was a very tedious process but worked great. I did have a proper tool set with adjustable heat. I also did a bit of what I would not call welding but sealing the cut out I made for a jet ski fuel sending unit where I used my soldering iron. :D:D I highly recommend the proper tools.

A few bucks for some 1/4" PVC line from Home Depot and a cigarette lighter is all the proper tools needed. It works great, the tank is PVC also so it bonds nicely.

No success so far. The lack of access to the area in front of the motor and just aft of the gas tank also prevents replacing the oil filter. Looks like removal of a section of the exhaust (which requires a special Sea-Doo tool!) could provide access. Ugh!

No success so far. The lack of access to the area in front of the motor and just aft of the gas tank also prevents replacing the oil filter. Looks like removal of a section of the exhaust (which requires a special Sea-Doo tool!) could provide access. Ugh!

What model jet ski do you have?? Sounds a bit like my RFI by what you describe. Just a guess. :)

Making sure I fully understand, you can't get a hand on either fitting end where it meets the oil tank and the injection pump? I guess you have no alternative, might as well start ripping the ski apart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back