Leaking Center Oil Seals on the crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

I did a leak test to find that my crank seals leak to the Rotary Valve gear chamber. One or both of the center oil seals on the crank seem to be bad. My problem the ski had, was it wouldn't start in water, and I did EVERYTHING to it to try to remedy the problem.
My challenge is for someone to explain to me the physics of why it won't start in the water, yet run on the trailer. Somebody's got to have this mystery debunked.

Check the compression, and let us know they numbers... then we will tell you.

But since you have leaky seals... start it first, and clear out the oil. Then, shut it down, let it cool for 5 or 6 minuts... then check the compression.

Compression is fine

I'm getting about 150/145 on both cylinders. Everything else is in spec. I've gone through the ENTIRE fuel system, even making sure my pop off pressures are even (both at 28psi).

Head-scratcher

:banghead: This crankshaft seal leak seems to be mono-directional. If I pressurize the crankcase through the pulse nipple, the pressure leaks into the RV oil chamber. HOWEVER, if I pressurize the oil chamber, the pressure seems to hold.... Since the crank-case is typically under VACUUM, logic dictates that the seals should hold, as we are similating a similar condition to pressurizing the oil chamber (Oil chamber has higher pressure than surrounding crank-case, seals not leaking). Any thoughts?

Seadoo are a special engine and low ash oils work good with the seals, as they do
soak oil. Use of non-BRP oil is not recommended and found thru the years to warp
and wear the center crank seals. Outboard engine oil is bad on these engines. If your
engine does not smoke after ten minutes on the water, you might get another year or two by pincher the oil line to RV gear (big one under carb)when storeing more than a day. Look in your manual front if you want a Seadoo line pincher for the part
number. Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back