Lake Livingston--Texas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
We stay off the water on holidays and holiday weekends. Too much stupidity in the water to be safe...

Looks like the wind will be down for the next couple of days. I bet there will be a ton of boaters on the lake this week. They are having fireworks out by the 190 bridge on the kickapoo side again this year. there is a ramp right there at the bridge.

How much does it cost to use this ramp, or is it a public ramp? I don't know if I'm going to stay till dark though.

Thanks.

- Michael

How much does it cost to use this ramp, or is it a public ramp? I don't know if I'm going to stay till dark though.

Thanks.

- Michael

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post in time I had to work. its a public ramp but I don't know the price. Yesterday I watched some jet skis trying to make a run headed south when that storm kicked up here. the waves were pretty big the must of had a heck of a time. If you get close to shore the waves coming in bounce off the bulkheads and head back out making it really rough. I had it happen to me just before the lake dropped last year douwn past indian hills. I tried to turn around and hit a wave that was in a shape of a point and got air and did a face plant right into the next wave.

If you get a chance, do find out how much it costs to launch there for me ok Rabid?

I didn't go out this weekend, too much happening here and storms everywhere (which I am actually HAPPY to see storms everywhere in fact for a change!). I did take off early Friday afternoon and put in at the Blanchard State Boat Ramp (which is free and has nice paved parking lot with shade trees, 4 trailers can launch/recover at a time with 3 piers). From there I rode the RXT down around Pine Island (not much was going on there) then went back up to the north-east end of the lake above Indian Hills.... so really beautiful places on the north-east end of the lake! Mmmmm, I wants one!

So a rainy week on tap, should help my personal pond and my yard grass tremendously. Have to wait and see what the next weekend is like. In the meantime I'll be pulling the trailer wiring out of my jetboat's trailer to find the short and getting that fixed up I'd like to take it out before the end of this month if I can, I didn't run it at all last summer. :banghead:

- Michael

Hey Rabid. I just joined the forum and yes, I ride on Lake Livingston. Down Kickappoo way...

Welcome to the forum!! you will find this place very helpful. I haven't been able to get out lately with the rain. I had to make a break for it last week when a storm rolled in. I was able to make it to the mouth of the channel before I had to turn around. I think I have made it out only twice this year to the south side.

So a rainy week on tap, should help my personal pond and my yard grass tremendously. Have to wait and see what the next weekend is like. In the meantime I'll be pulling the trailer wiring out of my jetboat's trailer to find the short and getting that fixed up I'd like to take it out before the end of this month if I can, I didn't run it at all last summer. :banghead:

- Michael

How is the pond filling up? We have been getting at least 1/2" a storm when they roll through.

According to my rain gauge on the back patio, we got 10" last week!!! Of course, the lake is overflowing, rivers are flooded, and there is A LOT of water going over the dam.

Remember our drought pictures from last summer?

Well here is is now, where those docks were high and dry 8' over sand!

deussen.jpg

If you get a chance, do find out how much it costs to launch there for me ok Rabid?

- Michael

http://www.kickapoomarina.com/

I finally remembered to call for pricing..its $5

According to my rain gauge on the back patio, we got 10" last week!!! Of course, the lake is overflowing, rivers are flooded, and there is A LOT of water going over the dam.

Remember our drought pictures from last summer?

Well here is is now, where those docks were high and dry 8' over sand!

View attachment 13473

The other day I checked the lake level and they were a foot+ over pool.

Where is a good place to fish down there?

Oh man we got a 2+ hour DOWNPOUR here in Plum Grove Monday afternoon, a small thunderstorm came overhead and it just expanded getting larger and more intense as it moved (it kept going but kept getting larger keeping us perpetually under the rain shield and it was HEAVY!). My pond overfloweth! LOL!

Actually these rains are a tremendous relief to me even with the flooding and other inconviences... after last summer's drought and forest fires everywhere I'll never complain about too much rain again!

I last went up to the lake the Friday after the 4th, it was gorgeous and not too many boats I went down from Indian Hills where I launched around Pine Island back up to the Kickapoo area then took a scenic tour of the houses and properties along the north-east end of the lake back down to Indian Hills again... by that time I was ready to get out of the sun and back into some a/c! (Whew!)

Startin to look like this upcoming weekend things may dry out enough to go to the lake again finally! Yay! :)

- Michael

Thanks for the info and the website link Rabid! I'll look into it. But I can launch at the public state boatramp at Indian Hills for free and the parking lot has alot of shade trees which is a big plus in my book! ;-)

- Michael

Where is a good place to fish down there?

I have never had any luck, but there are lots of guys getting good stringers full. I was never a good fisherman.

I have a fishfinder, and I can FIND them, but cannot catch them.

I have been sitting on the fence here today, watching the wind gusts at my house here outside of Splendora... I cannot figure if it'd be worth the drive to Lake Livingston with these slightly windy conditions going on. Dang! Decisions, descisions, decisions... I just need to MOVE up there to the lake and rent my existing house out or something! LOL!

It would sure save on gas and provide alot more opportunities to enjoy the watercraft I have. ;-)

Of course, Rabid you could be nice enough to post a status update on lake conditions here on weekends so those of us with a drive would know if the lake is smooth enough to enjoy or not... just a thought that. Hehehe! ;-)

- Michael

good idea

I have been sitting on the fence here today, watching the wind gusts at my house here outside of Splendora... I cannot figure if it'd be worth the drive to Lake Livingston with these slightly windy conditions going on. Dang! Decisions, descisions, decisions... I just need to MOVE up there to the lake and rent my existing house out or something! LOL!

It would sure save on gas and provide alot more opportunities to enjoy the watercraft I have. ;-)

Of course, Rabid you could be nice enough to post a status update on lake conditions here on weekends so those of us with a drive would know if the lake is smooth enough to enjoy or not... just a thought that. Hehehe! ;-)

- Michael

sounds like a good idea. I posted one time but I didn't know if anyone cared.

There are some good deals up there. A lot of the houses come up for sale after a death or the elderly owner moves out and the house needs to move quickly. some of the homes come with boats and/or furnishings.

During the summertime YES I do care! LOL!

I thought you lived in Onalaska on the lake? What's the best way to keep watch for such properties? I'd be just as happy with a property without a building on it, in fact space is my biggest issue I cannot stand house beside house beside house beside house all packed in together that drives me NUTS that's what happened to me here outside of Splendora the property owner next door to me put in a rental trailer park (very trashy!) it's been Hell living here ever since even though I own almost 3 acres my home unfortunately isn't in the middle of the property it's on 1 end not 25 feet from a rental trailerhouse now to my disgust. I'm essentially surrounded by trailerhouses now and all that mess!

I'm part owner (25%) of my family's ranch house up in Shepherd TX and we're putting that place up for sale in the coming weeks so I stand to make some ~$35K when it sells which would make a good down-payment on a lakefront property if I found the right property... and my current home is completely paid for, I could put it up for rent I'm told it would rent for ~$850 or so a month which would go well towards making mortgage notes on a lake property. My work programming is almost all done from my home office so as long as I have internet service I'm good... I go into Houston like 2 to 3 times a year for meetings generally, very doable from the Livingston area. I just hate it where I am now, and love being up at Lake Livingston my family did own a lake front house in Indian Hills Estates back in the 90's (sold when they divorced in 2003) and I spent every summer weekend up there... the night sky is sometimes so clear over the lake you can make out the pink of the Milky Way Galaxy and one night lying atop the boathouse with friends we were able to clearly see satellites zooming by overhead every few minutes it was AMAZING! I miss that sooo much!

It's black outside here right now, thundering every few minutes with some big fat raindrops every now and then.... I could have gone to the lake for a few hours this weekend in hindsight... boy ya'll got 1 heck of a thunderstorm up there Saturday evening I was watching it on radar I heard on the news there were 70 mph winds in that storm eeeek! :-O

- Michael

Hey guys... Sunday was absolutely GORGEOUS wasn't it? Lake Livingston was nothing but ripples for as far as the eye could see... Wow! Anybody else go out? I only saw a handful of other watercraft on the lake Sunday afternoon.

Hey does anybody know of any active cams that show the lake online? That would be really nice to be able to see the lake online before heading out there! Just a thought.... if only I didn't have to work today I'd be back out there already! LOL!

- Michael

Somebody tell me about the lake above the 190 causeway/bridge?

I'm about to go look at 2 waterfront houses up there (both within sight of the bridge)... I've never boated north of the bridge though, and only gone up to the bridge like 1 time over a decade ago with my jetboat so I know basically nothing about the water conditions up there or what it's like in the summertime... is it a good area of the lake to be on? I don't want to be so far north as to be in the "river delta" area that just looks like a morass to me using Google Earth... good for fishing I'd imagine, but not so much for recreational boating and watersports I'm guessing.

It's proving difficult to find a waterfront place where I like BOTH the house and the property it's sitting on. I've looked at listings of some truely beautiful homes, but hated the property or the location... and I've seen some nice properties, but don't like the house. Arghhhh! I've been looking for a little over 2 months now dangit. :-(

- Michael

good for fishing I'd imagine, but not so much for recreational boating and watersports I'm guessing.

what side of the lake are you looking east or west and how far up? Its really stumpy up there. I looked at a place in Emerald Bay (east side) where it was really shallow off the dock.

you could always buy the land and add a dock then later on build a house on it.

mike

Well there's a ~2.7 acre property on the west side just above the 190 bridge, in a fair sized cove.... but there's barely a single tree on the entire property (somebody clear-cut the place, grrrrr!) and I don't like the house that's on it that much (small and very plain looking). The cove looks nice though, well protected from large waves with 2 small islands in it I can see on Google Earth.

The other place is a bit further north and on the east side of the lake, I rather like the house from the pics but don't know a thing about the property it's on... I want to go see it this upcoming week, just to see what it's like there. From the pics the water out front appears to be free of surface stumps/limbs. Not sure if there's any bulkheading or not, and there's definitely no pier or boathouse visible in the pics.... grrrrrrr!

I'd rather be on the east side of the lake below Onalaska and above Indian Hills Estates, that area is pretty nice I've always boated there and it get's a bit of a break from southerly winds during the summertime... but so far I haven't found anything (land or land + house) I liked in that area of the lake. I'm subscribed to HAR.com and LakeHouses.com for the past 2 months now.

I'm looking for a place to live full time, not a weekend get-away... ergo I'd like to have a little space around the house, not packed-in like sardines as so many are. I also have pets and need space for them (domestically raised raccoons, they require large outside enclosures and lots of fresh water daily).

I have money set aside for a downpayment now, and intend to lease my current home in Cleveland out to help make the notes on the place I seek. Just gotta find the right place... easier said, than done that. (Sigh!)

Thanks Mike.

- Michael

Well I have only dreamed to drive in the Lake Livingston in Texas but still my dream doesn't come true, but I have a plan with my friend to visit Texas in this winter to and then I will not miss the chance to drive there.

Hey guys, site newby here, but not to PWCing. This was the most current thread in this section, so here's a hopefully relevant post. Although I'm pretty much a SoLA rider, I have quite a bit of content on my site for TX rides, esp. the rez riding around Dallas as well as other trails near the Houston/GOM area. Check it out, it's all free: http://pwctrailfinder.com/ If you have a favorite area/trail you'd like to submit, it would be greatly appreciated... Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Anybody been out on the lake this year yet? I still haven't found a place on the lake that I like... lotta crap listed on HAR. Ughhh! :-(

- Michael

Back