Lake Livingston--Texas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Rabid

Anyone else ride on Lake Livingston In texas? I see a lot of seadoos on the lifts around the lake and wanted to know if any are on this forum.

Lake Livingston

Never ridden at Lake Livingston. I've camped at the lake with First Baptist out of Dallas. I did wonder if the it's a good lake to jet ski on.

I love Lake Livingston... I've gone boating there since I was a teenager and bought my 1st boat (a Sidewinder of Wisconsin jetboat). Late last Fall I bought this RXT Seadoo, but only had time to take it out 3 short times before the lake got too cold (and it started freezing a little at night... so I had to winterize the RXT and my jetboat at that point). I'm almost ready to start going up to the lake again, just completed changing the wear ring and impeller on the RXT.. yellow ringed washer got pinched when I put the pump back on this evening, so I have to replace that with a new one, then I'll be ready to make some waves! :-D

Where on the lake do you launch from? I use the marina's ramp at Indian Hills Estates (makes it easy to grab a bite after I put up for the day, rest in a/c and eat something before heading back home).

- Michael

ps. Lake Livingston is about the most awesome lake in this part of Texas... big, lots of space, not overly crowded (Lake Conroe is AWEFUL on most any summer weekend!), and best of all it has a nice hard packed sandy bottom everywhere. The island in the middle of the lake is very large (12 acres I've been told) and has clean sandy beaches all the way around it with shallow waist deep water out 50 yards or so from the shore... great place to drop anchor and play in the water with a frisbee or whatever. I highly recommend boating at this lake. We need more girls though... grrrr!

- Michael

shout out to lake livingston and if u have any problems with your sea doos bring them down to ch marine and ill fix them up for you.

I've been by there to get 4TEC oil, it's a nice place. I take it you work for CH then? What does "CH" stand for btw?

Right now it's just too danged hot to go to the lake, no way do I want to be out on the water in this kind of heat and no clouds at all! I'm staying in A/c as much as possible till this heat relaxes a little... mid-90's good, low 100's BAD BAD BAD! :-(

Take care and stay cool!

- Michael

A buddy of mine has property on the lake, and gave me a magnetic card to let me into his "private" boat ramp. Haven't used it yet. Mainly because it is too hot and about an hour or 1-1/2 hour drive for us.

That and because we live in a neighborhood ON Lake Houston, just built a house in December. Now Lake houston has dried up enough that the boat ramps are all closed. We are kinda in a pissy mood because of this. Haven't had the house 6 months and our lake dries up!!! We moved to this area primarily for the close access to the lake.

But, Livingston is the only body around with good water after these months of drought...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was up at Lake Livingston last Sunday and the water around the boat ramps was shin deep... barely over 1 foot of water at the ramps. I was able to just barely float my RXT out to deep water (about 50 yards out I guess... it was a long walk to get to chest deep water). By this next weekend, unless we get A LOT of rain the Lake Livingston ramps will likely all be landlocked. I was at the Blanchard ramps, near Indian Hills Estates... there were NO boats on the lake that afternoon while I was there only a few PWC's. This drought is really pissin me off!

Be glad you didn't buy property at Lake Conroe! Now Houston is draining what little water Conroe had into Lake Houston for the masses of Houstonians to use. I thought there was a law in Texas that said you could not change the flow of a river, that damns could only release as much or little water as river's flowed into a lake? It makes no sense to me that Houston can drain Lake Conroe like they're doing.

I figure my boating season is over already, even though the weather is ridiculously gorgeous (too much of a good thing?). And I agree with you about the heat, but as long as you're moving on the lake it's not too bad just don't sit still at the docks for too long. LOL!

This weekend is supposed to be simply miserably hot, with dry air flowing into the state from that east coast hurricane system. Just what we need dryer hotter air! Dead trees are everywhere, up at Lake Livingston I'd guess every 9th tree has turned brown... I've 7 trees dead in my yard already and the green ones are dropping green leaves left and right. This is how a desert is made I fear!

- Michael

I can assure you that is so wrong! It's at least 5 feet down from where it was only 4 weeks ago. I'd say it's closer to 6 feet low at this point, based on where the water is on the docks normally.

I snapped this pic last Sunday afternoon when I got to the boat ramp at Blanchard dr. Somebody's using a dozer to deepen a part of the lake bed nearby (it's normally like 3 feet deep back there where the dozer is now). I'm standing at the pier at the Blanchard public boat ramp taking this pic.

Lake Livingston dry 002.jpg

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Lake Livingston dry 001.jpgHere's a zoomed-out shot of the same area, you can see a land-locked boathouse in the foreground in this pic. :-(

Gonna take a lot of rainfall to reverse this trend I'm afraid. :mad:

- Michael

I do not understand that Chron webpage... what do they mean by "pool"? If you subtract the current "pool" from the average "pool", you get that Lake Conroe is only down by 4.4 feet... not likely from what I've heard and seen on the news! I don't think those "pool" numbers are referring to the water depth somehow... IDK.

Lake Livingston can drop or rise 2 feet from it's normal level and not cause any issues for boaters, it's down a lot more than just 2 feet at this point though!

- Michael

Pool is average water surface above sea level. So Lake Houston's average pool is 44 feet. When it is at average depth, the top of the water is 44' above sea level. Right now we are at 36.5 so 7.5' low.

Some lake history...

Lake Houston was created by damming the San Jacinto river in 1953 to create a freshwater reservoir for Houston's drinking water. At that time, the Sheldon Reservoir was turned into a state park and no longer used for water.

Then in 1973, they dammed the San Jac further up and created Lake Conroe. The sole purpose of damming Lake Conroe was for a backup water supply for Lake Houston, should the lake levels drop like they have recently. At 7' below normal pool, the intake pipes that suck water out of L. Houston for the water supply start to be exposed and don't function correctly, so when this happens, they open up L. Conroe dam and allow some "backup" water into L. Houston to keep those pipes functioning.

Lake Livingston dam was completed in 1969 and was constructed, again, for a fresh water supply for Houston. It's average depth is 55 feet, and it is HUGE compared to L. Conroe and L. Houston, so it holds A LOT of water. It gets its water from the Trinity River which stretches up to Dallas and then some. Dallas has been dry, but not like us. They get rain once or twice a week, which keeps the Trinity higher, and L. Livingston a bit higher as well.

But by looking at your pictures....looks like it isn't faring to well either.

Conroe trivia...when they finished the dam, they assumed it would take over a year for the lake to fill up. It took only 90 days, and they failed to get all the machinery and equipment out of the dam area before it started to flood. There are still cranes, dumptrucks, etc in the deep water below the dam. So good fishing right there.

I live in a neighborhood that is on the western shore of L. Houston. Here are pictures of our shoreline from last weekend...

i should be standing in 8' of water while shooting these pictures.

Attachments

• lakeshore1low.jpg
    lakeshore1low.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 28
  • towardskiercove.jpg
    towardskiercove.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 23
Wow! Nice boathouse in that 1st pic... love the upstairs deck and all! That's quite a bit lower than Lake Livingston no doubt.... isn't the level starting to rise now that they're letting the water out of Lake Conroe?

Did the City of Houston pay for these lakes, or did the Taxpayers of Texas pay for them? I wonder...

(I don't like Houston much, sorry)

I actually live closer to Lake Houston than Lake Livingston, but I've always loved Lake Livingston. I posted YouTube video of my last outting to Pine Island on Lake Livingston last month (the lake level was much higher then... it must have started dropping more rapidly in the past 3 weeks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGkVaJuFjA

Gorgeous island! Great sandy beaches, nice water. :)

- Michael

If I recall correctly, City of Houston owns 2/3 of the "rights" to Lake Conroe and the San Jac River Authority owns the other 1/3. Which means that the residents of Conroe don't own diddly-squat.

But, if I was them, I would be upset if they started lowering the water during a drought. But, living on lake houston, I am upset that my water is this low... Not a thing we can do about it.

By the way, not my dock. I live in the same neighborhood, but on the other side in the "poor" section. These houses near the water are INCREDIBLE!!! Ours is just a regular house.

http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Check out this page. Interactive graph of the water level on L. Houston. The water has been steadily and quickly coming down, usually a .1' (approx 1-1/4") daily or every other day. Since they started to let water out of Conroe, it has stopped dropping and you can see a definite flat spot on the graph. The water is NOT coming up. They are letting enough water down to keep it from dropping below 7.5' low level. Below the graph are check boxes so you can superimpose previous years' graphs on top of the current year.

The guys up on the river around kingwood say they have seen a rise on the river, but by the time it opens up to the lake it spreads out so fast that there is no difference up or down.

Our next trip will be Livingston. I think we will wait for this next blast of heat to come through. It is too damned hot to be floating around on a boat.

By the way, it rained here hard last night, and is still raining lightly. Looks like a lot of the area around us got wet. Not enough to end the drought. And then we are supposed to have 103-107 degree temps over the next 3-5 days with humidity in the high teens to low 20% ranges. So our yards will just dry right back up in a day or two. And our lakes.

Yes but how did Houston pay for 2/3 of the "rights" to Lake Conroe? Did the city pay the state money for those rights or what?

Yeah the storms last night were nice but it was more a wind and lightning event than a rain event in my neighborhood... I didn't get even 1/10 of an inch during all that last night, but some wind gusts that came thru had me a bit concerned stuff was blowing all over my yard! Eeeek!

This weekend is going to bite big time! At least the humidity will be low (which is why it'll be so hot I'm told), but still a dry heat is still bloody HOT! Hopefully the grass and trees will have sucked up as much of the rainfall as possible overnight, cause they won't likely get another drink anytime soon. :-(

- Michael

I don't know how that all works. Taxes, bonds, etc.???

yes, going to be a miserable weekend. We got our 3/8" or so last night, I bought soaker hoses to keep my foundation moist as it dries back up.

Got like 2-1/2" in Pearland area today.

How low is the water up near 190 bridge? We may try that boat launch just north of it on the west side tomorrow morning. Never been there, but willing to give it a try.

According to my Navionics GPS program, water quickly gets to 40' right there and the channel stays pretty deep all the way down to the island.

Just got back from Livingston, and overall, it was a very pleasant and successful trip.

The only complaints I have are 1) it was HOT today!!! Hit 108 at 3:30 then dropped back down to 106!!! We were already cooked medium rare at 1:00 and started to head back toward the ramp.

2) Driving through Kingwood Dr and Northpark Dr are MISERABLE hauling a boat and trailer.

3) My GPS put me in someone's driveway, about 8 miles from the boat ramp. I had to back up a couple hundred feet, kick my boat into an uphill driveway facing the same direction I was facing (come down the top left part of a Y, back into top right part of Y, and pull out the bottom of the Y).

Otherwise, the lake was quite calm, and it is HUGE!!! Water was down a little, so there were plenty of beaches, and I was nervous when launching and loading because it was shallow enough my depthfinder wouldn't pick up, so less than 5' (it starts to blink at 3', and there is 18" gap so 3' on depthfinder is actually 4'6" water depth). Very deep. We were in 35-55' water almost all the time, unless we approached a beach or the ramp. But even in 35' of water, there was the occassional stump sticking up 6" out of the water.

I guess I am comfy on lake houston because I know the lake, and where the shallow spots are, and where the junk on the bottom is. But out in Livingston, i am not comfortable yet.

But overall, well worth the hour drive.

Browers was very friendly and nice store at the front. But I wasn't impressed with the ramp facilities, especially nothing to hold on to or tie off to at the docks. No cleats, and cement up to the top of the metal bulkheads so you pretty much have to dig your fingernails into the cement and hold your boat steady while passengers get in and out.

I think we will try the state park next time.

I missed your post somehow! Ughhh! I haven't been up to Lake Livingston since the 2nd weekend in August. I use the Blanchard Public Boat Ramps by Indian Hills Marina and Estates on the north-east end of the lake. It has piers going out into the lake and you can tie ropes to the pier pilings. I've never tried the State Park, but I've been told it's pretty nice.

Around the big island in the middle of the lake is very deep water and the island is of course simply *beautiful*! Depth finders are really nice to have especially in unfamiliar waters... my jetboat has one, my RXT does not though I need to add one to it before next summer I guess (hate guessing how deep the water is when approaching a beach area). Sounds like you picked one of the hottest days of the year to go to the lake though... lol!

Are there any boat ramps still usable at any of our area lakes now? I need to take my RXT for a test drive to see if I've fixed a problem with the engine or not; I cannot tell for sure running it on the trailer.

Thanks!

- Michael

Just got back from Livingston... Browers was very friendly and nice store at the front. But I wasn't impressed with the ramp facilities, especially nothing to hold on to or tie off to at the docks. No cleats, and cement up to the top of the metal bulkheads so you pretty much have to dig your fingernails into the cement and hold your boat steady while passengers get in and out.

I never heard of Browers, did you mean "Browder's" by chance? They're the marina down by the dam with campgrounds and all. I never liked their boat ramp though, too high an incline (it's at the base of a hill).

- Michael

Yes, that one. Just to the south of the dam. It was quite low when we went out. After launching, it was shallow enough that my depthfinder was not getting a reading (usually less than 3.5' it quits and just blinks stupidly). It has come down a foot or two since, so I bet you cannot even launch there now.

Yes, it was HOT!!!

Back