Just picked up an X4!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSteve

Just picked up an X4! 1997 SPX

Hey everyone, new guy here to the forum. (I chose to write my intro here in the 2 strokers area because I figured more people here would see it/care/identify with me).

So last week I picked up my first Seadoo. A 94 SPX that ran great on the trailer. Well I quickly learned my lesson on that one. Fortunately for me the guy never got around to sorting out the title so I took it back, and got my money back.

Then, through sheer chance, I came across a 1997 SPX. Not for sale, not not for sale. In a garage. On a very nice trailer. With a cover. This thing had been taken care of. I talked to the owner and said I was interested but not until a test ride. I had cash in hand. (And a new battery from the last deal that fell through). It ran ok, I had a few concerns but nonetheless $950.00 later I was towing it home. I took the boat home, got all the licensing taken care of, filled what was left of the seafoamed tank up and took it out for the first real ride. It ran ok. It certainly wasn't slow. It just, wasn't perfect. So I ran most of that gas out of it. The thing is a blast. I mean it goes fast just fine. Its the half speed stuff it doesn't like. (It also doesn't like towing my buddies old seadoo across the river cause he ran his out of gas. Or maybe I just didn't like that). I fell off of it. A lot! I pissed off all the hillbillys fishing off the boat ramp. (On purpose). I sprayed my buddy. I fell off some more. I had a lot of fun, but still had some worries.

So back at home, I started really looking at things. And, here's a few issues with it.

1. I was told that the trim still worked, although the gauge didn't. (Not enough experience to even be able to tell). It doesn't. The black plastic case marked VTS was full of water and the electric motor is all kinds of corroded. (I've figured out riding position and speed and I'm able to live with this for the rest of the season).
2. Grey Tempo lines. I know, I know. They'll be gone after the seasons up.
3. When I plug the key in, it doesn't beep. THIS worries me. It is the DESS ignition.
4. It smells a bit. I don't know what's normal here. But I would compare it to a dirt bike. Not too smoky. Very little smoke actually. I figure rings are due for a change out and plan to.
5. I don't think the RAVE valves have ever been cleaned. I didn't take them apart all the way, but they seem to operate by hand smoothly. This too, I hope to hold off on until winter.

At this time I also changed the plugs out and siphoned as much of the gas out of the tank as I could. Ran it at the lake and it performed exceptionally. Getting pretty good at the 360's! It really screams if I sit up against the bars. Although there still seems to be an occasional hiccup that's surely fuel or carburetor related.

And that's my new Seadoo. Any information or links would be great. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word of advice,
If you leave those grey lines in and keep running it, you may not have a ski with a running engine anymore after this season.
Change those lines, pump oil, rebuild raves, overhaul carbs and fuel selector.

Seadoo engines are alittle different than dirt bikes. You don't freshen up the top end frequently as you do on a dirt bike. Get a good compression reading and if its within spec ride it like you ain't got a dime in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
J 2. Grey Tempo lines. I know said:
Welcome to the club man! IMO there is not a more fun machine than an x4. This is my advice, don't ride anymore until you replace the grey lines and rebuild the carbs and clean the fuel selector. Its not if they will cause problems, its just a matter of when. If they clog things up while youre riding out the end of the season, there goes your motor and that winter project just got a whole lot bigger. Spend a couple nights after work during the week and get them done. Wont cost you but 150$ plus or minus if you do it all yourself. And you can have it ready again for the weekend. Good luck man!

Just a word of advice,
If you leave those grey lines in and keep running it, you may not have a ski with a running engine anymore after this season.
Change those lines, pump oil, rebuild raves, overhaul carbs and fuel selector.

Seadoo engines are alittle different than dirt bikes. You don't freshen up the top end frequently as you do on a dirt bike. Get a good compression reading and if its within spec ride it like you ain't got a dime in it.

[MENTION=60330]97GtxMan1687[/MENTION] lol we are on the exact same page. Well said man. Well seaid.

So back at home, I started really looking at things. And, here's a few issues with it.

1. I was told that the trim still worked, although the gauge didn't. (Not enough experience to even be able to tell). It doesn't. The black plastic case marked VTS was full of water and the electric motor is all kinds of corroded. (I've figured out riding position and speed and I'm able to live with this for the rest of the season).
2. Grey Tempo lines. I know, I know. They'll be gone after the seasons up.
3. When I plug the key in, it doesn't beep. THIS worries me. It is the DESS ignition.
4. It smells a bit. I don't know what's normal here. But I would compare it to a dirt bike. Not too smoky. Very little smoke actually. I figure rings are due for a change out and plan to.
5. I don't think the RAVE valves have ever been cleaned. I didn't take them apart all the way, but they seem to operate by hand smoothly. This too, I hope to hold off on until winter.

First off congrats on the X4! They are a blast. Welcome to the forum and the previous guys are correct, take care of this stuff first or you will have a short season and a long off season.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector before you torch your MPEM, then get the boot and clamp kit to fix it, then hunt down a good clean used motor or a new one.

2. Your engine will be gone before the end of the season if you leave them.

3. Bad beeper, Contact Minnetonka4me for a nice OEM one,. or hit radio shack for an aftermarket one--they work great but are not a 100% replacement fit.

4. Not sure what to say, but drain the oil, change the oil filter and put in the correct oil, I prefer XPS-II oil, just make sure you select the correct rating--plenty of threads on oil on here.

5. Rebuild the raves

6. Enjoy the ride.

Ok guys I've already priced the lines at advance auto parts. I'll look into that specific fuel filter. Where abouts is a good location for putting that filter?

The previous owner gave me what oil he had leftover. A half gallon of XP-S. Is there a specific in line oil filter I should look for?

On the VTS. What is the boot clamp kit and connector? Anybody got any leads on a new motor or have a spare laying around? eh? eh?

How do I go about changing out the pump oil? What kind of pump oil?

Thanks again!

cant believe no one jumped up n down about using seafoam!! don't use it again,its solvent based,and does bad things,like wash the oil film off the sliding parts in the engine!!get some stabil fogging oil and use it AFTER every use.spray it into the airbox while running so it will coat the insides of the engine and wont rust inside.as u spray it in,the engine will nearly or totally stop,then its good till next use.

cant believe no one jumped up n down about using seafoam!! don't use it again,its solvent based,and does bad things,like wash the oil film off the sliding parts in the engine!!get some stabil fogging oil and use it AFTER every use.spray it into the airbox while running so it will coat the insides of the engine and wont rust inside.as u spray it in,the engine will nearly or totally stop,then its good till next use.

Previous Owner seafoamed it every year! But I was just getting the old stuff out. Although I DID NOT know how bad it was. I also had no idea about the fogger. But after every use?!

I don't really like being a rookie and try to learn as much as possible.
It looks like most of the things I wanted to hold off on fixing I wont be holding off on.

Oh yeah, the oil should be xps2 it is synthetic and is needed for your seadoo. Should be a yellow bottle. The oil itself should be a honey brown, or if it is new a redish color.

Previous Owner seafoamed it every year! But I was just getting the old stuff out. Although I DID NOT know how bad it was. I also had no idea about the fogger. But after every use?!

I don't really like being a rookie and try to learn as much as possible.
It looks like most of the things I wanted to hold off on fixing I wont be holding off on.
reason being,the water box always has water in it,maybe 1/2 gallon,even after u "burp it" outta water.that water evaporates n goes out the exhaust AND inside your engine! instant rust.well,overnight rust.so when im done for the day i foggum.

More then likely if your vts had that much water in it you will need the actual vts housing. I would pull vts motor and put power on it to see if it works. Make a list vts parts, rave o-rings oil lines etc and as stated before check with Minnetonka4me. Congrads and enjoy

Well I took everyone's advice and started replacing fuel lines tonight. Started it out 1 by 1 so as not to get tangled up. But I still ran into a problem. I broke a hose nipple off the pulse side of the carb. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece? Thanks in advance

Well I took everyone's advice and started replacing fuel lines tonight. Started it out 1 by 1 so as not to get tangled up. But I still ran into a problem. I broke a hose nipple off the pulse side of the carb. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece? Thanks in advance

Welcome to forum
Pm Minnetonka4me for part , Nick will take good care of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back