Just bought a spark! Wondering about a comparison.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

steeldog532

I just bought a 2015 spark 60hp 2up. The only ski i've had before this is a 1994 Tigershark Monte Carlo 2 stroke 3 seater. I liked it because it would flip around pretty east and get air. I rode some newer jet skis that were big and bulky and no fun except for going in a straight line. I haven't ridden my spark yet but am this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows if i'll be impressed over my Tigershark or if it'll be relatively the same? I'm hoping it'll have more power and be more fun. Any opinions?

Congrats on the new spark. They're night and day difference. If you actually liked the tiger shark, you're gonna be over the moon on the spark.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

It is hard to tell you what they compare to as, you have limited knowledge of skis.

But I will second that you will really like the ski. It is fast and nimble,,,

Thanks guys. I liked the tigershark a lot. I mainly ride to jump big boats waves and whip the tail around. I weigh about 250lbs so i'm just hoping that 60hp is enough to get the job done. I come from the motorcycle world mainly and 60hp isn't anything on a bike. Thank you for your answers. I'd appreciate any input at all :).

You can get a programmer and flash the ecm to jump the ponies up to 109hp. www.pwcmuscle.com can get you hooked up. They sponsor the site and are a great group of guys.

I've looked at that tune but that's $1000 at least. Bit out of my price range for a while. But i guess i can save until the factory warranty is up. I was curious if i could just buy the map and take it to my local tuning shop (for bikes) and be able to upload it from there rather than buying the vtech tuner.

I know of art least one guy on the forum here who had the programmer, perhaps you could rent his and just buy the tune credit

That's a good idea! Thanks for bein so helpful guys. I can't wait to see how much the Spark impresses me over what i'm used to.

You think it's going to be that good?! :) Im getting really excited. And i havent even picked it up yet! And i cant even use it till the 4th!!! Damn work!

I have several X4 Seadoo's--they are hands down (In mine and other peoples eyes) the best ski ever produced. The spark is born from that I would say. I had the chance to drive a spark the first season they came out. From the second I grabbed it in the water I couldn't believe how light it felt in the water. It's light and poppy and the torque is crazy weird where I'm used to a 2 stroke power. You should be able to rip some good air on it. Hell, I can hardly sleep when I'm dragging home a new dead ski to work on, I'd probably pop a blood vessel if I got a new ski.

I will chime in. I had a 96 gsx and a 96 xp.

I am 6'5 and 250lbs. I just got my spark last Saturday and it is the base model, 60HP. All I will say is..

WOW!!! I have never had so much fun. The torque is awesome, the handling is insane...I tried to slide it around and it caught me and I flipped it with only 27 minutes on the timer.

The 5-hour break-in was a PITA, but after that...I was riding all day!! Fuel mileage is a huge improvement as well.

I am doing the oil change today to get rid of the break-in oil (you will need an E-8 torx bit fyi) and then I am headed to the cottage this weekend again!!!!:cheers:

That is really good to know! Especially about the break in time. I didn't know you had to change the oil after. I'm glad you said that because i was just going to take them out 4th of july weekend and start romping them!

That is really good to know! Especially about the break in time. I didn't know you had to change the oil after. I'm glad you said that because i was just going to take them out 4th of july weekend and start romping them!

Yup! I just did my oil change last night....I HIGHLY recommend that you use this tool: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-changer-2-9-quart--11097714

I used a manual suck pump and it was a useless pos. Use the right tool and its a 20-minute job!

Let us know...you'll love it!

Hey thanks! I have one of these pumps at the auto body shop i work at. Depending on price i might just have the dealership do the the first oil change though. We'll see! I just really wish i could ride them hard. 5 hours of break in is gunna be rough. I have a lead foot...or err finger lol.

FB_IMG_1435449556231.jpg

Me and my girl! First day out! It was a blast!!! But idk if i can do this 5hr break in business. Felt like was on the damn thing all day long and only got like 2 hours according to ghethe meter. They're so much fun! Doin tailstands for dayyysssss!!!

You think it's going to be that good?! :) Im getting really excited. And i havent even picked it up yet! And i cant even use it till the 4th!!! Damn work!
Follow the break in, don't just go beat the hell out of it, you will be able to enjoy them longer if you have restraint now

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. What's a Tigershark? lol. These things are amazing!!! I didn't go full throttle and still had a blast! Fell off once and was super easy to reboard even in the middle of the lake. The only thing i noticed is that it doesn't have the instant power like the two stroke so i have to get more speed up to jump a wave. But i'm sure with some upgrades and a tune that will change. I just can't believe how light it is. I can pull up on it and bunny hop it no problem. I LOVE IT!!!! There were sparks everywhere at the lake! We were all trying to show each other up. It was the best time i've ever had on a ski. Can't wait till the warranty is up so i can start messing with upgrades!

Exactly. What's a Tigershark? lol. These things are amazing!!! I didn't go full throttle and still had a blast! Fell off once and was super easy to reboard even in the middle of the lake. The only thing i noticed is that it doesn't have the instant power like the two stroke so i have to get more speed up to jump a wave.
4 Strokes have a bit more torque than 2 strokes. For wave jumping I often am going slow from a turn around and I pop the throttle right before I hit. That gives me the traction I need to climb up and away. Even during breakin it's ok go max RPM. Also did you switch to sport mode? That might help response.

Back